tetr.js development thread

Started by simonlc, March 17, 2013, 10:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonlc

I might end up going that route for simplicity, though I'm not dead set on it. I'd still like to have a system that is synced at 60hz.

XaeL

Quote from: simonlc
A much simpler way to separate the two would be to just call functions when an input is pressed, and draw at a normal 60hz. One problem with this is, like you mentioned, 10 hard drops in one frame.

Well you dont have to draw every time u do an update loop.
You could have an update loop that runs 1000 times per second, and when globaltimer is close to a multiple of 0.016, push do a screen.draw()

Theres plenty of ways to implement it though. Your solution is good but I remember there were speed implications (in java at least) of using handlers vsing polling super fast.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

UJS3

Looks like pause works now, but there's something wrong when I hit retry. The game starts paused, and I think the timer starts at a negative time (it says something like 00:0-36.69).

Didn't know how lenses are made, cool.

simonlc

Quote from: UJS3
Looks like pause works now, but there's something wrong when I hit retry. The game starts paused, and I think the timer starts at a negative time (it says something like 00:0-36.69).

Didn't know how lenses are made, cool.
Fixed, thanks. Gotta read the code I merge more carefully.

Intendant

Dont know if anyone already noticed, but since the keyboards arent always the same, mine for example(german one) is qwertz and not qwerty. The programm looks at that, so (and nw its gonna be kinda complicated) when i want use your z(my y) i have to press my actual z (so your y). This isnt much of a problem since i can choose my own keys, Just wanted to let you know
Intendant, you have a voice that makes me wanna play tetris!
- yotipo, approved by Mucho

XaeL

Quote from: Intendant
Dont know if anyone already noticed, but since the keyboards arent always the same, mine for example(german one) is qwertz and not qwerty. The programm looks at that, so (and nw its gonna be kinda complicated) when i want use your z(my y) i have to press my actual z (so your y). This isnt much of a problem since i can choose my own keys, Just wanted to let you know
There is no interface to tell him that you are using a qwertz keyboard instead of a qwerty one.

This is what rebinds are for.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

UJS3

Here's an idea for another game mode: a twist trainer similar to the finesse trainer. A map with a ghost telling you where to twist the piece.
[fumen]110@geA3nbA3hbA3tbXfi7eBP8cHBd9bG3gbI3gbB3nbA3?hbH3hbH3kbA3kbC3gbA3gbG3gbA3gbD3jbA3lbH3hbH3lbA?3jbD3gbA3gbG3gbA3gbD3jbA3jbA3gbG3gbA3gbA3gbE3gb?A3gbAAhbAAtbBnb7eApCc[/fumen]

simonlc

That's a good idea UJS3, could go in with the finesse trainer.

farter

mmm.. just a small suggestion...

a traditional game mode where speed increases by leveling up, just marathon.
where everyone can have fun on their first try, newbies (just trying) or experienced (to have an overview of this clone).

i believe tetr.js is one of the easiest accessible playable-for-all-classes clone ever existed..
also my first recommendation for lazy guys who wants to try out "new" tetris..
but losing new players because of only sprint mode being boring for them..

little code to add but makes most sense for now imo...

Ravendarksky

Hi there,

Just played your game and wanted to say that I found it very nice!

Keep up the good work

simonlc

Dmitri

This client is golden, very nice job! All it needs now is a live highscore list with rankings

Ravendarksky

Just had another play with this, I have no complains now! Seems pretty perfect.

This is now second only to nullpomino in my sprint times

yotipo91

This is my first time playing on this since I underestimated it until now. It feels so right @A@
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]

Sprints: Nullpo-26.78 (4/0),  TF-35.97, TOPW-29.461 (065-15), C2-36.58 (4.5/0)
[url=http://tetrison

simonlc

Thanks guys. I've been working on a new version. It will be 3d by default, like TGM3, though I will keep an option for 2d that will look similar to how it is now.

Lots of the code is being rewrite. I'm am going to try and have an event driven drawing system. This would mean that when you press a key, it doesn't wait for the next frame to draw, it will try to draw immediately. It likely wont be noticeable at all, but it has potential to improve sprint times.

The menu system will likely be redone again, probably more like it is in TF. After that, I will be adding the new modes, like dig race, master, etc.

Once I have all that I will buy a server and make the game multiplayer, and have leaderboards.