Finally hit S2

Started by breadfish, March 03, 2013, 01:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadfish

I passed S2 in TGM just now. I was even pretty comfortable doing it, and had a decent shot at even S3 until I made a bump and got caught on it. Only 5k points away from it.

S2 felt like a big jump from S1 points wise but now it doesn't feel so big. A little more practice and I should hit it consistently. Finesse is starting to be a determining factor.

This may not be news but I'm pleased with it.

XaeL

Quote from: breadfish
I passed S2 in TGM just now. I was even pretty comfortable doing it, and had a decent shot at even S3 until I made a bump and got caught on it. Only 5k points away from it.

S2 felt like a big jump from S1 points wise but now it doesn't feel so big. A little more practice and I should hit it consistently. Finesse is starting to be a determining factor.

This may not be news but I'm pleased with it.
Once you get to TGM3...

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

breadfish

Quote from: XaeL
Once you get to TGM3...

Yeah that's approaching 20g area. When I hit that consistently, TGM might become my only game for a while and I'll start concentrating on 20g alone.

Edit: this is mainly because I don't score quickly so when I'm hitting S2 it's at a much higher level than I probably could be. This is a result of playing safe and skimming, probably.

Panda

Breadfish, what exactly is this TGM game you play? I've heard alot about it but never really convinced myself to explore that particular client.

What are it's unique characteristic features? And what distinguishes it from other popular clients?

breadfish

Quote from: Panda
Breadfish, what exactly is this TGM game you play? I've heard alot about it but never really convinced myself to explore that particular client.

What are it's unique characteristic features? And what distinguishes it from other popular clients?

I'm playing the arcade version of TGM1 on MAME. I'd prefer not to since it isn't considered proper by copyright purposes, but that's my only choice. I'd pay for it if I could.

That aside, TGM 1 has ARS. There's no easy spin, no move reset, only step reset. Line pieces do not have easy kicks. They have some wall kicks and floor kicks but you need notches in the stack to use those, it will not kick into perfect vertical holes so if it hits one of those on flat, you can't get out of it. Tetrising on the right with a notch at the top of the hole is incredibly important because at high speed it might leave you with no other choice unless you can IRS it in there, which itself might be impossible if you have a bump in the way (pieces don't really climb at all)

Other than that it's pretty much normal marathon Tetris up until level 500 where it hits 20g and becomes a different game involving pyramid stacking - this is because the two middle columns need to be the highest for pieces to spawn on without getting hung up on a bump since there's no travel time. In the sequels this is also important because of decreasing lock delay requiring you to eventually make use of step reset, so you need steps for pieces to fall down.

StS

From what I understand, TGM is a series of Tetris arcade games that is very popular in Japan. Here an example of the gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo

Edit: Whoops, breadfish replied while I was posting. I'll leave the post, though, because of the link.
Sandal that Stinks

Current 40L (Nullpo): 35.32s

Panda

I'm playing the arcade version of TGM1 on MAME. I'd prefer not to since it isn't considered proper by copyright purposes, but that's my only choice. I'd pay for it if I could.

That aside, TGM 1 has ARS. There's no easy spin, no move reset, only step reset. Line pieces do not have easy kicks. They have some wall kicks and floor kicks but you need notches in the stack to use those, it will not kick into perfect vertical holes so if it hits one of those on flat, you can't get out of it. Tetrising on the right with a notch at the top of the hole is incredibly important because at high speed it might leave you with no other choice unless you can IRS it in there, which itself might be impossible if you have a bump in the way (pieces don't really climb at all)

Other than that it's pretty much normal marathon Tetris up until level 500 where it hits 20g and becomes a different game involving pyramid stacking - this is because the two middle columns need to be the highest for pieces to spawn on without getting hung up on a bump since there's no travel time. In the sequels this is also important because of decreasing lock delay requiring you to eventually make use of step reset, so you need steps for pieces to fall down.

Wow.

More unique and characteristic than I thought.

For instance, this whole ARS theme and the 20g "pyramid stacking" technique, wow it's like a different game entirely.

Once I build enough of a fundamental base in the SRS world, I'll certainly check out this intriguing game. Thanks for the elaborate help, Breadfish, and you too StS

breadfish

Quote from: Panda
Wow.
More unique and characteristic than I thought.
For instance, this whole ARS theme and the 20g "pyramid stacking" technique, wow it's like a different game entirely.
Once I build enough of a fundamental base in the SRS world, I'll certainly check out this intriguing game. Thanks for the elaborate help, Breadfish, and you too StS

Yeah, the stacking is a bit of a different puzzle.

It probably is not productive for sprint players since it concentrates on survival techniques more than line clearing speed.

It's actually not a horrible way to stack but would be less efficient if you aren't using it for survival purposes. So it could probably make habits that would hurt a sprinter but wouldn't make a big difference for a marathon player.

PetitPrince

breadfish > if you want to train your high-gravity skills, you can use the 20Gcheat:

Before pressing start,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓* , C,B, A

* that's 8 times down

Also, I see Kitaru lurking this topic. Listen and obey to everything he says. He is wise in the ways of TGM.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
Neon TGM Evangelist :: "Tetris the Grand Master is the best (single player) Tetris ever"
I wrote TeDiGe-2 (Github | Bug/suggestion tickets | [url=http:/

Confugal

Pyramid stacking is overrated. Hurrah for Sudden Ti/TGM 3!
In ARS we trust.

breadfish

Quote from: Confugal
Pyramid stacking is overrated. Hurrah for Sudden Ti/TGM 3!

How is it overrated when that mode uses the same principles?

Granted you don't do it constantly but it's necessary to keep in mind, especially in Sudden Ti. If you make a dip in the middle you are forced to address it first since you literally can't do anything else short of advanced IRS techniques that can land pieces flat side down on top of a bump rather than being caught in it.

Edit: in fact, watch any TGM video and you will see this principle appear in the stack repeatedly. There's deviation when the sides become filled in but it always goes back to center stacking. There's literally no choice since having no air phase doesn't give an alternative.

XaeL

How is it overrated when that mode uses the same principles?

Granted you don't do it constantly but it's necessary to keep in mind, especially in Sudden Ti. If you make a dip in the middle you are forced to address it first since you literally can't do anything else short of advanced IRS techniques that can land pieces flat side down on top of a bump rather than being caught in it.

Edit: in fact, watch any TGM video and you will see this principle appear in the stack repeatedly. There's deviation when the sides become filled in but it always goes back to center stacking. There's literally no choice since having no air phase doesn't give an alternative.
With hold and I floor-kicks, you don't need *as* perfect a pyramind in tgm3

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

breadfish

Quote from: XaeL
With hold and I floor-kicks, you don't need *as* perfect a pyramind in tgm3

Yeah, that's true. It's a bit of an easier time in 3 in that regard. I've only played similar in Heboris though, not the real one.

TGM1 of course is entirely different since it doesn't even have hold or those kicks.

Confugal

I tend to stack flat and abuse the hell out of hold. It works perfectly fine in Sudden Ti (and Special Ti) on Texmaster. It explains why I consider myself the best-worst player on Texmaster - most, if not all people who have reached my grade in Sudden Ti have achieved GM on Normal mode (TGM 1), whereas I can't get past S6.

Strangely enough, the reason why I never bothered with pyramid stacking was because it never worked out for me in Sudden Ti. I'm actually under the impression that flat stacking on Sudden Ti is better than pyramid stacking.
In ARS we trust.

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: Confugal
I tend to stack flat and abuse the hell out of hold. It works perfectly fine in Sudden Ti (and Special Ti) on Texmaster. It explains why I consider myself the best-worst player on Texmaster - most, if not all people who have reached my grade in Sudden Ti have achieved GM on Normal mode (TGM 1), whereas I can't get past S6.

Strangely enough, the reason why I never bothered with pyramid stacking was because it never worked out for me in Sudden Ti. I'm actually under the impression that flat stacking on Sudden Ti is better than pyramid stacking.
though im only an s7 on tgm and like s4 at best for tgm3, i still find that pyramid stack works best for both, i have no sense of finesse though,, ahaha.
when the block drops one row the lock delay gets delayed, so you dont have to tap as fast with a pyramid cause chances are it will fall once or twice before reaching the destined goal

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....