Weight lifting

Started by XaeL, February 08, 2013, 01:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XaeL

Quote from: Confugal
BMI of 18.9

AWWW YEEEEEAAAHHHHHH
i went from 17.9 to 22.6 when i started gymming

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

crzy242

u r 1 cheeky cunt m8 i swear ill wreck u swear on my mums life
☠  crzy242

SecretSalander

Quote from: crzy242
u r 1 cheeky cunt m8 i swear ill wreck u swear on my mums life
xael what do you mean by bad squat form, are you unable to go all the way down? if thats the case, stretch your hip flexors and glutes every day, and you will become more flexible. when i squat i literally get my ass like 2 inches off the ground without lifting my heels off the ground
40 line sprint in Nullpomino: 32.88

XaeL

Quote from: SecretSalander
xael what do you mean by bad squat form, are you unable to go all the way down? if thats the case, stretch your hip flexors and glutes every day, and you will become more flexible. when i squat i literally get my ass like 2 inches off the ground without lifting my heels off the ground
When the weights get heavy i dont go past parallel, coz i'm bad. With lighter weights i can easily atg (coz i'm azn Lul)

My current squat problem is my left shoulder gets pwned. If i high bar the bar bruises some random bone that sticks out, when i low bar the weight of the bar on my left muscle stuff makes my entire left arm go numb.

Aka bad form... /needs fixing

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

SecretSalander

Quote from: XaeL
When the weights get heavy i dont go past parallel, coz i'm bad. With lighter weights i can easily atg (coz i'm azn Lul)

My current squat problem is my left shoulder gets pwned. If i high bar the bar bruises some random bone that sticks out, when i low bar the weight of the bar on my left muscle stuff makes my entire left arm go numb.

from my experience its better to go past parallel with less weight than to just keep adding weight and restrict range of motion. when you go all the way down you use your glutes and if you dont strengthen them you are just going to get injured some day. uh about your neck, i know it sucks when the bar presses down on the base of your neck but i think you just have to get used to it. i dont low bar squat because i feel off balance. if it really bothers you, try using one of those pad things for the squat bar if you know hwat i mean, or squat with a hoodie on or something, or try front squat. also, what is your goal lol. do you want to be huge or are you doing it for a sport?

XaeL

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
from my experience its better to go past parallel with less weight than to just keep adding weight and restrict range of motion.
[/quote]
Thats my problem.. I can squat 77.5kg below parallel, for 5x5. Then I add the minimum increment (2.5kg), and suddenly i can't squat more than 2 sets below parallel.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
when you go all the way down you use your glutes and if you dont strengthen them you are just going to get injured some day.
[/quote]
i do go all the way down. (well past parallel at least)

uh about your neck, i know it sucks when the bar presses down on the base of your neck but i think you just have to get used to it.
[/quote]
Its not the neck (bar on neck = failz) but i'm sure u actually dont mean neck.

if it really bothers you, try using one of those pad things for the squat bar if you know hwat i mean,
[/quote]
I think those things hinder form if anything since the bar will be further away from ur centre of gravity.

also, what is your goal lol. do you want to be huge or are you doing it for a sport?
[/quote]
Fuck getting huge, i just want to lift moar and moar. If i wanted to get huge i'd do hypertrophy stuff and dumbbell curls all day lol.

ManOfMiracles

Yeah there's no point of going heavier if you aren't going parallel.

As for the bruises, it happens. I used to get them all the time and it looks pretty cool tbh.
In the summer I would workout shirtless and use the shirt to sort of cushion the bar so it doesn't hurt as much.

Also what I used to do is high bar for regular squats and low bar for really heavy sets.
MiracleMan

SecretSalander

Quote from: ManOfMiracles
Yeah there's no point of going heavier if you aren't going parallel.

As for the bruises, it happens. I used to get them all the time and it looks pretty cool tbh.
In the summer I would workout shirtless and use the shirt to sort of cushion the bar so it doesn't hurt as much.

Also what I used to do is high bar for regular squats and low bar for really heavy sets.

lol so you want to be one of those people that walk around and be like 'i can squat 400 lbs bitch'? lol idk i feel that you squat like every day and you dont heal so you dont get stronger. i squat twice a week or less, and i add like 5 to 10 lbs every week (ive been working out for about 2 months now). although i just want to squat to jump higher for volleyball lol... rest for like two days and eat a lot of meat and hten try squatting again i promise you will do more

XaeL

Quote from: SecretSalander
lol so you want to be one of those people that walk around and be like 'i can squat 400 lbs bitch'?
yup

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]lol idk i feel that you squat like every day and you dont heal so you dont get stronger. [/quote]
I really dont, 3x a week isn't *that* much

ManOfMiracles

I really dont, 3x a week isn't *that* much
Wait I don't get this, do you workout 3x a week or squat 3x a week. If its the latter, then your workouts aren't intense enough.

Back when i played football, I had to squat 2x a week. And the second time of the week it would be almost impossible to finish because I would be so sore from the first day.

I recommend just squatting once a week. As a beginner, a well planned leg workout should leave you sore for days.
MiracleMan

XaeL

I recommend just squatting once a week. As a beginner, a well planned leg workout should leave you sore for days.
soreness has no correlation with efficacy

I exercise like 6 times a week... mon/weds/fri = weights, thurs/sun = run, saturday = squash.

And the second time of the week it would be almost impossible to finish because I would be so sore from the first day. [/quote]
Yeah you're overtraining it. Rest so you can recover.
I'm confused by your conflicting statements. If i'm not super fresh (e.g. i've rested for 2 days, muscles feel pretty normal) should i be doing it or not (for any exercise, not just squats)

Aaron

Quote from: crzy242u r 1 cheeky cunt m8 i swear ill wreck u swear on my mums life
oi u avin a giggle m8?
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
Quote from: AlexandraI don't really know much about hot dogs but I do know Aaron is the greatest moderator ever.
[/div]

ManOfMiracles

Being sore doesn't necessarily show how well a workout is or if you improved or not. But if you are sore then it means your muscles actually did something. The science behind working out is not really known for sure. Like for example high reps, low weight and low reps, heavy weigh or soreness, etc.

For example, I get a pump when I have a good bicep workout, but I'm never sore the next day; where as, I have a light tricep workout and I'm sore for 3 days.

But when you do a high stress compound exercise, you don't necessarily "have to" be sore, but you should.
If you don't get sore, then I envy you, but if you're not sore because it's not intense enough, then I would have no idea because I don't know you or your body.

But, if you truly aren't sore as a beginner, then you must be the 1 in a million type of people. Because I have known many people who work out, and as beginners, even the lightest of leg workouts leave them sore for days.

The first few times I worked out my legs, I truly had trouble walking for days. 1.5 years later I'm squatting 280. (i derped by not start working out legs from the beginning)

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]If i'm not super fresh (e.g. i've rested for 2 days, muscles feel pretty normal) should i be doing it or not (for any exercise, not just squats)[/quote]
This is where the science unsureness stuff comes in. Many people recommend not working out a particular muscle when it's not fresh. But I went up 50 pounds in my squat in 5 months and 5 days a week was leg day. Even on upper body day, I would have to workout my legs and after that, intense cardio. Everyday my body was hurting, but everyday I got better.

I would say no, don't workout if you aren't fresh. But don't really listen to that advice because what works for someone else not might necessarily work out for you. Just keep trying things and eventually you'll get your rhythm and style of lifting.

just my 2 cents
MiracleMan

XaeL

But, if you truly aren't sore as a beginner, then you must be the 1 in a million type of people. Because I have known many people who work out, and as beginners, even the lightest of leg workouts leave them sore for days.

Oh i'm a bit sore the next day. But i wouldn't be sore 2 days later (which is normal for beginners since they recover faster)

I remember when i started at empty bar my legs were wrecked the next day. Now i think my legs are used to getting trained 3x a week

sproink

Personally started going to the gym about 2-3 years ago and today mine combined stats in bench, squat and DL is about 350kg (since fuark ur cheeky imperial units m8). I've never really wanted to get stronger or anything and that's why the onlyl reason I go to the gym is mine personal interest in human/muscle anatomy, or in other words: bodybuilding. And I can say that I have quite good knowledge about those things.
So feel free to ask questions about these things from me! :>