Challenge: Purely Tetris

Started by Phthalocyaniine, January 03, 2013, 12:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caffeine

Integration

96 in a row. Memoryless + 6 preview.

At the end I was just nerveless and made somebad decisions. It could have been 100 Tetrises, if I had more trust in line pieces coming. Instead I went for a risky stack just to be sure to get at least 1 further Tetris.

[fumen]110@6ckzlb1lgblzgbssib1lgbsskzYitsQpgb1lgbtsYi?ssRpgb1lgbssQpZiQpZi1lgbRpci1lgbRpZiJwYi1lgbRpZ?iIwRp1lgbQpaiIwssRpssgb8eYilzwsgb8elzQpaikzssgb?8eIwRpYi1llzpb9XVHA0X+tCp+qBA7eKMlA9uAHkAAAAJaB?tyAD7A9uAcvAHkADxA[/fumen]

caffeine

120 in a row. Memoryless + 6 preview.

Midway through, I was facing certain death by an I-piece drought. Then the Tetris gods bestowed me with four tetrises in a row. It was then that I knew that this was finally the one I'd pass 100 on.* Despite that, I had about four more near-death experiences afterwards.

This challenge is... tough. It was starting to make me go insane. After half a year of working on it, I think I'm done.

* I had gotten a few 90s runs between this and my last post. I didn't post them so as not to motivate Integration into beating me to 100

Sisu

Quote from: caffeine
four tetrises in a row
ITYM a John Holmes

:D

Integration

Congrats Caffeine! Video coming soon?

Eventually, you are relieved. Oh wait, James Clewett's mode still waiting on you. Do 100 there.   I guess our tormented souls will never be freed. BTW your evil plan worked out. I hadn't played since my last post. I guess I'll still have to do the 100 Tetrises one time.

You should have mentioned this situation, which made you nearly fail shortly before reaching 100. Your placement was the only way to get out of this situation. Otherwise the 2 Z pieces (+ followups) would have killed you.

[fumen]110@1lnb1lnb1lnb1lhbIwkbZiKwkbZiKwkbZiIwlzkbZi?lzYikb1laikb1lQp1lkbYiRp1lkzjbYiQpailzibaiQp8es?skzib1lRp8etsib1lRp8essQpgbQpgb1lRp8eTpgb1lQp1l?TpgbYi3lTpgbYi1lSpkzQp8egbZi1lRplz8egb5llz8eqb9?9H7eCPwADLAN7AhbYiobYiueAAA7eA5/A+bZiaesEB7eAU6?A[/fumen]

Apart from that, a very solid game without much trouble (except the I drought). I saw you lost your motivation after the magical 100.

caffeine

Do you think anyone would actually be interested in such a long and slow video? I'm not sure most players even really "get" why this is challenging (until they actually try it).

I had already played for a while before that game (including some brutal "drought-outs" after 50+ Tetrises). After seeing that magical "400 lines," I was depleted of will power and patience. I was surprised I scored 20 more afterwards. But you're right, I'm sure we will continue our duel on C2. I only hope it doesn't drive me crazy. I think I'm going to take a small hiatus before that.

Btw, thanks for posting that fumen. I'd almost given up when I saw that platform Tetris possibility.

Integration

Such a video wouldn't have mass appeal, but a 20 minute video with nice music wouldn't be too boring either. I watched it at doublespeed and there were only two situations where you played too slow or too fast. Triplespeed is probably too fast. You can also have 2.5 x speed, if you change framerate to 75 fps and put replay speed to 2x.

Integration

Yay! 100 in a row. Memoryless + 6 preview.

I think I'll also play some James Clewett's, but my motivation is rather low.

caffeine

Phthalocyaniine