Tetris Olympics [prep]

Started by myndzi, December 30, 2012, 06:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarioThePhenom

maybe you should start out with a few events, then once this has gained popularity and commitment and what not, start to expand more. solid idea? has this been tried already? only you myndzi can decide

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

myndzi

That's what I was thinking. Choose some low investment events and do a couple weeks. Events are work, though, and I don't want to waste Parkzer's time with the streaming bit. I'll post again when I've decided what to do.

PurpleCoin

Quote from: myndzi
Hey guys. We've had a couple attempts at this idea, but I think we can do more. It's been getting a little slow around here, so now's a great time. Here's what I have in mind:

* Weekly events scheduled on weekends, fixed time, with streaming
* Live performances
* Events that demonstrate a wide range of Tetris skills
* Compete in as few or as many events as you like (you can compete for a single week or the whole event)

I want to run a few events at a time, but keep the max weekly commitment to 2-4 hours, this also depends on streamer support. We'll be on their schedule to an extent.

As well, I'd like to see if it's feasible spread the events across as many clients/games as possible. That means we might hit up anything from TOP to Tetrinet. This thread is for feedback on which events you'd like to see/participate in. I've compiled a list of possibles, please post in favor or disfavor of any of these. New suggestions should meet a couple criteria: 1) demonstrate practical Tetris skills (not looking for tetri-art in this case, etc.) 2) be implementable on an existing client

Here are my current ideas:

[Blockbox]
Survivor
Doubles
TGM modes? Prefer Nullpomino?

[Nullpomino]
Line race (speed): 10, 40, 100 lines
Dig race (speed): 5, 10, 18 lines
Combo race (max combo -> fastest completion): 20, 40, 100 lines
Ultra-based modes:
  • Most perfect clears: 1, 3, 5 minutes
  • Playing forever (full loop): fastest completion
  • Secret grade (most lines -> fastest completion)
[Tetris Friends]
Survival
Ultra

[Tetrinet]
7 tetris? others?

[Cultris 2]
??

[Other things]
Performances**
Not Tetris?
Keyblox?

[VS tournaments]
KoS?
Tetrinet cookies?
[Things that might need programming to execute]
Attack race (no such mode)
Gem mania (no such netplay mode, custom maps)
Retro mania (no such netplay mode)
Nullpo practice (no such netplay) - sandbox for things like the playing forever challenge
Tetris link :V

**Performances: Akin to competitions that get graded (diving, skating, whatever); you'd have an amount of time to perform and you would submit a list of things you intend to do (setups, I suppose). You'd be graded by judges based on the difficulty of your routine and how well you pulled it off. I think this could be pretty interesting.

Have at it.

There is no 10 line race. It is 20, 40, or 100. Please change that.

Also, I'll join.
Register on my forum and pm me to be a mod.

040 Lines: 1:44.45

020 Lines: 49.01 Most people here can do 40L quicker than I can do 20L.

100 Lines: 5:16.25

I have a forum goal: to be quoted in a signature...

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\

Paul676

there is 10 line race in nullpo league, I believe.
               Tetris Belts!

Barneey

Quote from: Paul676
there is 10 line race in nullpo league, I believe.

There is indeed, and it is amazing.

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: Barneey
There is indeed, and it is amazing.
about as amazing as tf

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

StS

Considering Barney likes TF...
Sandal that Stinks

Current 40L (Nullpo): 35.32s