Google Chrome and Tetris

Started by Mule, August 04, 2012, 03:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mule

Hi HD Members,

I have noticed a drastic change in the performance for the flash player in Google Chrome, and I am quite perplexed about this current situation. The gameplay on TetrisFriends is unbearably slow--moving frame by frame--and the same applies to Tetris Battle on Facebook. This sudden problem occurred on August 1st of 2012 for me, but I am not definite if the same problems have arisen for anyone else. The issue concerning Google Chrome and its flash player being slow is not a huge deal because a simple change of the browsers (switched temporarily to Firefox) can overcome this problem; however, I am wondering if there is a way to solve this problem.

If people are wondering, yes, the flash player on my Google Chrome is updated (checked About Google Chrome), and I have also manually checked if there is a new release for the flash player. The answer came out to be a negative, and I have also tried other methods of improving the gameplay for Tetris such as the following: clearing cache, clearing browsing history, clearing download history, terminating all extensions, ending useless programs on Task Manager, playing on incognito mode, disabling my antivirus, etc. As one can see, I have tried quite a bit of actions in an attempt to improve the gameplay, but to no avail--not the slightest change in performance.

As for now, Firefox will be my best friend (previously was, but I switched to Google Chrome, and now it sucks ass), and TF/TB no longer lag as much.

Note: This is not an advertisement for people to switch from their browsers to Mozilla Firefox in any way, but to ask how this Google Chrome problem can be resolved.  

Thanks,

Mule

NOTE: OH CRAP! I was planning on copying and pasting this to Notepad so that I can post this into the Tetris Section! Many apologies! No bans or warnings please.

NOTE2: Technically this is for ALL flash-related applications, so I suppose it can belong here as well.

Cheers,

Mule
You see the name "Mule" and you see a picture of a cat. There is no problem there.

belzebub

Wait until you try mac + chrome + flash player + tetris friends.

Rosti_LFC

If it means anything, I've found flash player to be extremely unstable over the last week or so in Firefox. I've not noticed any direct performance issues, but the plugin itself has crashed for me several times recently.

xenoslash

I had the exact same issues here as well. Yesterday, I was advised by another tetris player to use IE, because he experienced the same thing as well. Now that I am using IE, things seem to have improved, but of course there is still some lag
"I just know everything." - kwillin

perfectclear

Chrome is having issues with flash apparantly. Quoting Tetris Ernest in regards to Tetris Battle: "The most recent update to Chrome browser has made Flash have a lot of lag. While they fix this issue, we would recommend using another browser while playing Tetris Battle."
Im sure the same goes for Tetris Friends.

Mule

Alright, so I guess using another browser is going to be the solution for now.

Many thanks,

Mule
You see the name "Mule" and you see a picture of a cat. There is no problem there.

ohitsstef

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

toppingoutivan

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
If it means anything, I've found flash player to be extremely unstable over the last week or so in Firefox. I've not noticed any direct performance issues, but the plugin itself has crashed for me several times recently.

Hm. I'm not feeling any significant change in lag after the new Chrome update.. However, because of this post, I installed Firefox and tried it out again (ditched it for Chrome before ). Somehow, I felt that I lagged harder on my Firefox D;

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Chrome v21.0.1180.60

massi4h

I haven't noticed any difference (unless TF has always been much laggier for me than everyone else?)
It takes a while to login on Chrome for some reason, I have to go into a game so the facebook thing comes down from the top of the screen then I mash click "login" about 10 times until it works.
While playing last night it was fine when I was doing 1v1s but as soon as more people started spectating, heaps of lag started to roll in.

May I suggest for TTO2 that if requested by players, that only spectator be in the room (official person/streamer) and only to type between games? Doesn't have to be a rule, but if both players agree to let spectators stay it's fine, but if one of them doesn't want too many then the specs must leave?
☠ massi4h

massi4h

Umm can someone help me with something? I was playing a little bit of ultra today and my normal pause button F1 was acting differently. It would bring up an FPS counter on the top left (was around 40fps while playing) as well as a counter showing memory usage as well. I can't seem to replicate it now, does anyone know how to enable this?

This was with Chrome btw
☠ massi4h

caffeine

OkraArmband

I wasn't noticing any significant lag while using Chrome...
But after switching to Safari to play TF, holy cow. The DAS actually works. It was actually a bit slippery for me at first on Safari, since I was used to Chrome.

But yeah. For any Mac users out there, go with the system's browser. I haven't downloaded FF yet, because I'm a tightwad, but Safari works just fine. So... there's that. *thumbs up*

maddada

ok whats happening is that chrome is using more than one flash plugin at the same time which causes general flash preformance all around the web to be horrible..
what you do is this
1- write about:plugins in the adress bar
2- click on the + sign near details on the top right area of the page
3- you will see 2 flash plugins, you need to disable one of them and keep the other on..
im using this one

Location:   C:\Users\<USERNAMEHERE>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.75\gcswf32.dll
Type:   NPAPI

and i disabled the one with the PPAPI type.

you sometimes have to redo this after chrome updates but it only happend once to me so far and its really easy..

now tetrisfriends.com works very fast on my 2007-ish laptop.

Blink

Quote from: maddada
ok whats happening is that chrome is using more than one flash plugin at the same time which causes general flash preformance all around the web to be horrible..
what you do is this
3- you will see 2 flash plugins, you need to disable one of them and keep the other on..
im using this one

Location:   C:\Users\<USERNAMEHERE>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.75\gcswf32.dll

you sometimes have to redo this after chrome updates but it only happend once to me so far and its really easy..

I've tried this, and I think it helped make things smoother for me.  Worth a shot guys.

ZeroT

Quote from: maddada
what you do is this
im using this one

haha, my chrome had 3 flash plugings. It was a ton better after I disabled them. Hope it stays that way.
☠ ZeroT