A sad day for fangame makers: Tetris Holding, LLC v. Xio Interactive, Inc

Started by caffeine, June 12, 2012, 12:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul676

AIs are still irrelevant - I agree with you that if you stack well and, crucially, never misdrop, you're more likely to do well with a wider field. But if you misdrop or stack imperfectly, if you've got a 30 wide field, you'll have greater chance of not making a line. See blockbox co-op (doesn't exist any more) for evidence that a 20 wide well is harder than a 10 wide one..
               Tetris Belts!

caffeine

Why is there a greater chance of not making a line in a wider field? If anything, it's easier. With a narrower field, you'll more likely need to stack over the problem area since there are fewer places elsewhere to go.

Also, didn't BB co-op go into 20G? That's more difficult, but not because the field is wider.

The AI example is relevant. The difference in lines between the narrower and wider playfields is significant. Every time I increase the width by two, the lines the AI is able to complete increases by at least an order of magnitude. It can only point to the fact that narrower fields are intrinsically more difficult to survive in. It doesn't have to do with how good the player is. It instead speaks to the nature of geometric tessellation.

Paul676

We can all agree that 1x20 is easiest. 2x20, assuming non-bastet, is next easiest. Then it gets harder to tell. I think 3x10 is next easiest, because no-one stacks to the top in a 3-wide combo. The highest you're likely to get is 5 lines up, and even then there are really simple rules. 4x10 I'd say is next. Then it gets harder, because what caffeine's saying and what I'm saying balances out. Possibly caffeine, you'd draw the line earlier.
               Tetris Belts!

caffeine

1x20 is the most difficult. 6/7ths of the time, the player will top out immediately (if they are able to IRS the first piece). The player will top out 100% of the time by the second piece (in bag games). The same thing happens with 2x20 and 3x20 fields. I just tested the AI in a 4x20, and (as to be expected) it tops out even sooner on average than it does in a 6x20 field.

Edit: I forgot about games that have ARE. If there's ARE and a player can IRS, he can survive at first in 2x20 and 3x20 fields. However, it's simple enough to demonstrate why these super narrow fields are very difficult to survive.

[fumen]110@pbD3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hb?H3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbD3pbKJW?2AFLDmClcJSAVDEHBEooRBMoAVB0fbMCP9KWCad9wCqybgC?qubMC6vTxCP+rtCaHOMCs/AAA7eF9cBOcBMXBJNBTDBvIB9?bD3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbD3DdTDB7eD?6NBMNBvDBp5A9bD3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbD?3Nd9vA7eBOvA6vAzbD3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbH3hbD3rdvl?A7eATbAzbD3hbH3hbH3hbD3JeObA7eA9WAzbD3hbH3hbH3h?bD3JeMWAzbD3hbH3hbD3TeZRApbD3hbH3hbD3deMnb[/fumen]

[fumen]110@pbC3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ib?G3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibD3pbWOW?QDFLDmClcJSAVDEHBEooRBKoAVBPdNFDseNFDsvytC0OUPC?PtbMCzfjxCP+rtCv3/wCpiHgCM+9tC6HbPCze9VCK+LgCaN?mFDK+VWCT3ytC0SNFDqC+tCKergCTnjWCUeHgCMt/wCpHbP?CaNOMCsO8LCKnLuC0yLMCqHbFDKNOMCvCOMCv/rtC6i/wCz?nFgCsnltCvu/VCPeLuCqOExCvPltCauTWCKHmFDMNegCaen?tCMn/wCpHMMCqXMgC0OMgCp3ntC7eKThBPcBpXBMSBSIBtM?B5CBMNBC+AONBTIBpbC3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG?3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibD35cXDB7eGt9A9+Aq9A++Az4Av5A?8zAzbC3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibD3rdpvA7eDXvAuzAMv?AtpApbC3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibD3hdTqA7e?E5pA60Af0ATqA8pApbC3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibD?3rdGlA7eEtkApvACvAWvAT0ApbC3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG?3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibD3NdCvA7eDpvAtpAHgA8aApbC3ib?G3ibG3ibD3TesVA7eBTHAAgb[/fumen]

Paul676

Tetris Belts!

XaeL

Quote from: Paul676
you win
Its pretty hard to win when you're WRONG lol.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Paradox

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Wojtek

Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

tepples

Lockjaw has been voluntarily withdrawn pending the appeal of this case. I worry for Emacs.

benmullen

Caithness

benmullen

Quote from: Caithness
You know they would if they could.

I should should quote Charten Heston "Out of mt cold, dead, hands!!!!"

XaeL

Quote from: tepples
Lockjaw has been voluntarily withdrawn pending the appeal of this case. I worry for Emacs.
I'm confused. Whats gonna happen to nullpomino?

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Confugal

We can tell the TTC that the functional difference between NPM and their similar games is that NPM doesn't reproduce the "suck" aspect. Honestly, there's a problem when the TTC's multiplayer games feels like an ersatz of a clone.
In ARS we trust.

StevieSmiley

Quote from: XaeL
I'm confused. Whats gonna happen to nullpomino?

Most likely, nothing since nullpomino is offered for free. Also, the playing field can be changed as well as the sheer amount of options that tetris does not offer. ( despite the obvious defaults )

But to be safe, perhaps he should make it a taller playing field as default with no colors on the minos, using those funny 'part pieces' LOL!