Is it possible to stack 4-wide (gap in middle) with only one preview?

Started by tjenyao, May 16, 2012, 03:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjenyao

I have a competition coming up and am going to practise this just to annoy people (and also to stand a higher chance to win I guess) ^_^ but the games will be played on TB, with new FB accounts without tuning, so I can has only one preview. :O Say I take as much time as I want to look at stack shape/hold pieces/lookahead etc, is it possible/feasible to get a flawless (as in stacking and combo-ing wise, edit: mostly the stacking part though [oh and I am allowed to toss unwanted pieces ]) game every time? Again, assuming that time is not a concern.

Discuss. Thanks!

edit2: Better still, go try it a few games and post your vids here =P especially the pro 4widers

StS

I think you would find yourself having to interrupt your combo fairly often because you don't have the leisure of planning your next several moves. This would reduce your attack severely, so I'm not sure how effective 4widing would be (I'm thinking not very).
Sandal that Stinks

Current 40L (Nullpo): 35.32s

MarioThePhenom

in my opinion, the only thing you can do with one preview is tetris, and maybe freestyle tspin

im not an avid 4wider so to answer your question, but i kinda did in my own way

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

StS

Eh, I think 2wide combos would still work fairly consistently, especially in an environment where Tspinning is greatly nerfed due to SLOW soft drop speeds. I don't know about 3wides because I suck at them, but I can imagine them working quite well. I would guess those are your best bets if you want to combo.
Sandal that Stinks

DAS44

Well, I haven't tried it but... I'd confidently say you could, that isn't to say it's easy... If you even manage to stack it correctly, you will lack the ability to plan ahead as you normally would. It'd be a lot more luck in this instance.

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_d1RQZ79_zrc/S4iW6YvpjQI/AAAAAAAAABA/pAJ6hbUrxBs/s1600/two%20cents.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_d1RQZ79_zrc/S4iW6YvpjQI/AAAAAAAAABA/pAJ6hbUrxBs/s1600/two%20cents.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

XaeL

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

larrytetris

I think it's possible, though it won't be as practical as 3w middle.

Once you get familiar enough with TF, it becomes almost second nature to respond to the 7-bag. You get a feel for what pieces will be coming up soon even if you can't see it (i.e. you know what 3 pieces will be coming after you drop 4, just not in which order).

I think you're better off doing tspins though, if you can do it quickly. Otherwise 3w middle is probably good.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

ManOfMiracles

Technically you can, but it would be mostly luck if you can pull the whole thing off.
MiracleMan

MarioThePhenom

npm's combo race, one preview... im not an avid 4wider, but most of the time i got 7-11 combo, maybe an experienced 4wider can do this and see if they can consistently get around 15+combo

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

toppingoutivan

Mario, that's because you have the stack already prebuilt. I would imagine middle 4w with 1 preview, from stack to clearing is rather ineffective (or would require lots and lots of skimming :\)

StS

I just tried this (no upgrades/one preview). Setting up a 4wide middle is really hard because the lack of previews prevents stack planning (or maybe I just suck at it - I have to admit that I don't usually 4wide). No preview-3wide is definitely possible, and I believe even 4wide side might be a fairly valid option.
Sandal that Stinks