Hard Drop Streaming Etiquette

Started by Blink, April 20, 2012, 09:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

A few things need to be addressed pertaining to streaming etiquette. While you are streaming on Harddrop's streaming account you are representing our Harddrop community.

Therefore, you must be:
1. Respectful of the game.
2. Respectful of the players.
3. Keep the language and background music appropriate for an audience of any age.
4. Keep your stream related to Tetris, and any commentary should be on topic.

Violators will be issued a warning for their first offense, but any repeat offenses may lead to the revoking of stream privileges.

If you cannot follow through with these rules, then stream on your own private account and go ahead do whatever you please. But while you are using HD's account, you are representing HD.

Our stream: http://twitch.tv/harddrop

Parkzer

I decided I would chime in and add a few things that are relevant to the live stream.

For those who don't know me, I'm the host of the weekly live stream show, Tetris Arena Live with Parkzer. It's become quite a hit lately, touting at least a couple thousand replay views per episode (which I think is decent for something that I started so recently).

I normally stream and cast with my buddy Maks - you guys may know him better as Ukrainian4Life. Of course, he does have other responsibilities and commitments, and is not able to make it to every stream; in these scenarios, I have allowed other people to guest commentate with me. I also have a few people who are wanting to do this when the spot becomes open. Unfortunately, excluding a select handful of veteran casters and commentators, I have decided not to have guest casters anymore.

Blink is taking a more polite approach when posting these etiquette guidelines, but I have a straightforward and direct personality. In non-sugar-coated terms, we want to make sure we can trust you. In cocky terms, we want you to prove yourself worthy before letting you participate in something that thousands of people will see and associate directly with Hard Drop.

Of course, when Tetris Tournament Online II comes around, there will be many opportunities for everyone to try out commentating, no matter what their style or skill level. If you would like to be recognized during this time, there are clearly many ways you can practice and improve, but I will leave one word of advice / guideline:

Behave yourself in a manner to which you want your audience to parallel.

In simpler terms, portray yourself with emotions that you want your audience to also feel. Humans have this intriguing tendency of synchronization and empathy - when we see someone feel a certain way, we tend to mirror it onto ourselves. This doesn't mean you necessarily have to act happy or excited the entire time. Obviously, everyone has their own, unique style of commentating. Just make sure your unique style isn't that of a hater, someone unhumorously and excessively critical, or overall just someone negative.

For example, if you're a shoutcaster like me, you commentate in an extremely excited, fast-paced, high-action manner. The audience watching will start to feel your emotions, also become excited about the game, and feel as if the things that are going on are of high intensity. They feel good because their brain is being stimulated by many different things in a short period of time.

If you're a calmer and more analytical commentator, you commentate in a more intelligent manner. The audience will start to feel your emotions, also feel as if they have an insight of what is happening in the game, feel smarter, and feel better about themselves when it comes to various aspects of the game.

That's all for now. Again, apologies to the people who were hoping to cast with me in the future.

Blink

I've changed the streaming password because I didn't really know how many people had the password before.

I've also added another rule to the streaming etiquette:

Keep your stream related to Tetris, and any commentary should be on topic.

I've seen people streaming Starcraft in the past, League of Legends (me), and Portal but honestly that should be done on your own channels.  I've also seen commentary where it's just two people talking about random things and then occasionally refocusing on the match they were supposed to commentate.

If you would like to be one of our regular streamers just PM me for the password.  Also, if you stream regularly feel free to make a post advertising your weekly show times.

I plan on streaming weekly soon, once I can figure out how to organize my show.

benmullen

good ideas... I wondered about the portal i was seeing the other day haha.  Ya know what might be a good idea; like a publicly viewable calandar of who is streaming what and when that folks could throw their names into (i assume a google calandar or something).  Reasons being 2 fold: 1) well all know when people are doing stuff, if they put it on there and 2) we wont accidentally hyjack the thing when important stuff needs to be streamed (this is always my trepidation lol)

people woulnt need to enter times before hand, it would just help people know if something is already slated to be stremed if it were a "planned in advance" thing.

Paradox

we already have a calendar but its not embedded here and probably not being used
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

benmullen

oh ic... well in that case it was prolly a good idea once that was given up on, In which case i feel vindicated hahaha.  But if it was given up on, there were likely equally good reasons for that.  Speaking of which, if there is a new password, can i have it.  Immuna try and break my recent tetris slump with some win

Paradox

Quote from: benmullen
oh ic... well in that case it was prolly a good idea once that was given up on, In which case i feel vindicated hahaha.  But if it was given up on, there were likely equally good reasons for that.

blink hasn't embedded it anywhere so its useless :o. other than that its good
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

ohitsstef

Quote from: Paradox
blink hasn't embedded it anywhere so its useless :o. other than that its good

when was this calender decided?

if it wasn't a few days ago - there will be a new calender in place and posted.

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Paradox

Quote from: ohitsstef
when was this calender decided?

2 months or something

ohitsstef

Quote from: Paradox
2 months or something

there's going to be a new schedule - and only selective people will be able to stream - that's why the password got changed

and welcome back, paradox

myndzi

(Paradox, Aaron)
Both of you know better.

On topic posts only, please.

Paradox

Quote from: myndzi
(Paradox, Aaron)
Both of you know better.
On topic posts only, please.

sorry boss ur right im leaving anyway

benmullen

Quote from: ohitsstef
there's going to be a new schedule - and only selective people will be able to stream - that's why the password got changed
and welcome back, paradox

How selective we talking? I would love to bring some NES love into the stream (i tryed it like 3 times).  If I may be a chosen one I would love to stream some Classic stuff now and again

virulent

i think NES tetris would be considered on topic n i would love to see it
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

ohitsstef

Quote from: benmullen
How selective we talking? I would love to bring some NES love into the stream (i tryed it like 3 times).  If I may be a chosen one I would love to stream some Classic stuff now and again

atm I think streaming is going to be closed to streamers who are professional - not paid professional.. just professional in their behavior - so at the top of my head, streams must be tetris related and not have any sort of condescending commentary.

i don't think commentary will be necessary, but it'd make the streams a lot more interesting.

but let's see what other things Blink is looking for in a streamer.