Quality control (not a troll)

Started by XaeL, October 21, 2011, 11:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1ink

If a person is not allowed to post a tetris video to a tetris website, then where should they post it? I think the underlying problem is that any recent video automatically goes to the front page without any sort of filtering.

XaeL

Quote from: B1ink
If a person is not allowed to post a tetris video to a tetris website, then where should they post it? I think the underlying problem is that any recent video automatically goes to the front page without any sort of filtering.

What a clever suggestion.

But then who would moderate the videos?
WE SHOULD ALL MODERATE THE VIDEOS!!!
But not the poster of the video.
NO. INCLUDING THE POSTER OF THE VIDEO. WHY SHOULD HE SHED RESPONSIBILITY
[/communist voice]

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Jupiter_Joe

Is the answer something akin to 2 elements on the FP (one higher/more prominent on the page then the other) where the highest rated recent videos are and lower one with the most recent ones.

DAS44

First, irreverence (and Bill Nye)
image removed due to profanity

Okay, seriously though. Am I the only one who enjoys seeing the videos? It's a sign that there still are up and comers, and I try to comment on them with something encouraging. They're working their way up, I remember how that was! I was stuck at 51 seconds for ages, and when I finally broke it I was just about giddy.

I understand being irked by the videos, though I myself am not bothered for the most part. But sometimes some positive encouragement is nice, especially when you're getting started. Posting eight videos in a row of small victories is not necessary though (generally I think videos should be for milestones, sub60, 50, 40, 35, 30 for example), and that sort of posting should be politely and respectfully handled via pm by a mod or someone (just a thought). We can't have people posting 18 of them a day.

On the threads, the mods have done a good job in merging them with the others (in the POTM thread for the most part), and I try to prod them in the right direction if I can. The threads are the ones that tend to water down the quality more imo, but they've been handled quite well. (Intro threads are fine, so long as they're not solely "I sub xxed").

In the end, I'm glad to see there are people posting them, but I have to admit that sometimes people go overboard.

As for the openness of HD, this site is filled with great people. We can be sarcastic pricks at times (I am not exempt from any of this), but I've seen a lot of good conversation in these forums. Darth is a relatively "new" player, who has been able to make a good contribution to the forum, and players like him are great to see. He is interested in tetris, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he becomes one of the premier players with some time. To any lurkers here, like those Darth mentioned, post (thoughtfully)! You're bound to learn something new, and trust me we don't bite so hard as it seems. Don't sweat any animosity you might face

Opinions are opinions, ain't nothing wrong with that. Let's just try to keep them from rebuffing possible posters

Paradox

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]As one of the aspiring noobs, I can relate to this in the sense that I don't always feel like I'm welcome to share in on the speculation. I have met a lot of supportive and encouraging people here who made me feel safer to share what's on my mind, but we need more people like that to bring the lurkers out of the shadows. I have a few friends on Tetrisfriends who loyally read the forums but despite anything I say, feel like they are unqualified to participate in our forums in any way.[/quote]  

The biggest problem people probably have is when people say things as if they are facts. For example if someone posted on a thread:

"Its better to t-spin triple in multiplayer as much as you can because it sends much more than a t-spin double."

I  would be pretty annoyed already. I'm thinking ok this guy has 1 post and the thinks he knows all about multiplayer? It would be totally different if he posted it like this

"Hey guys I'm rank 15 on tetris friends and I personally found a lot of success using t-spin triples. I think the best way to go is to do them as much as I can. What do you guys think about that strategy?"

You see how the 2nd one says the same thing except you don't look like an incorrect dxxche bag.
---------------------

And no offense to you Darth but you have made some posts about tetris and stated them as facts that I totally disagreed with. When I see posts like that I think: "Does he really think he figured out tetris this fast?".

I mean even I state things about tetris as if they are facts but they are usually already agreed on by a lot of players. Either that or its something nobody agrees on anyway. Sort of exaggerating but just telling you how I feel.

-------------------

My advice to anyone is to read a lot about something if you want to post as if you are knowledgeable. If you are newer to the forum or tetris in general then you should be asking more questions than stating what you think are facts.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

ohitsstef

Quote from: Paradox
The biggest problem people probably have is when people say things as if they are facts. For example if someone posted on a thread:

"Its better to t-spin triple in multiplayer as much as you can because it sends much more than a t-spin double."

I  would be pretty annoyed already. I'm thinking ok this guy has 1 post and the thinks he knows all about multiplayer? It would be totally different if he posted it like this

"Hey guys I'm rank 15 on tetris friends and I personally found a lot of success using t-spin triples. I think the best way to go is to do them as much as I can. What do you guys think about that strategy?"

You see how the 2nd one says the same thing except you don't look like an incorrect dxxche bag.
---------------------

And no offense to you Darth but you have made some posts about tetris and stated them as facts that I totally disagreed with. When I see posts like that I think: "Does he really think he figured out tetris this fast?".

I mean even I state things about tetris as if they are facts but they are usually already agreed on by a lot of players. Either that or its something nobody agrees on anyway. Sort of exaggerating but just telling you how I feel.

-------------------

My advice to anyone is to read a lot about something if you want to post as if you are knowledgeable. If you are newer to the forum or tetris in general then you should be asking more questions than stating what you think are facts.

Took the words right out of my mouth  

This was actually what I was trying to tell him yesterday, but some people kept egging him on.

If you want to learn about Tetris, then don't state things as a fact.. esp if they're your opinions. And then if you don't want to get quoted on or feel attacked then don't say anything at all. If you can to say your stuff, then I can openly say what I want to say as well. "Freedom of speech" crap ~

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

DarthDuck

The biggest problem people probably have is when people say things as if they are facts.

Please refer to my signature.

My previous signature waved a giant red flag saying "hey I have a terrible 40L score so make sure you realize I'm a noob before mistaking me as an authority." But it became known that my intentions were not clear enough, so I replaced it with what I believe to be the only viable philosophic position. Please me to explain my signature in more detail:

Pyrrhonism skepticism is something that I apply to every single thing I say. First there was academic skepticism, where everyone swore never to make any claims at all (in their writing at least). They decided that all claims are at risk of being refuted (which they are) so they believed that this school of thought could provide people with peace of mind, considering a common cause of anxiety is the recollection of embarrassing moments where we wish we could take back things that were said.

The problem is, the founder of academic skepticism ended up burning every book he ever wrote because he was paranoid that one of them contained an assertion. I you try never to make claims, or even just never to make unwarranted claims, you will ultimately have very cautious speech and attach disclaimers to everything you say. Then we would have everyone talking like lawyers because they are afraid of being proven wrong. That means much rhetoric and little content.

That's why Pyrrhonian skepticism came around. This school decided that as long as rational people understand that other rational people have an interest in seeing their own claims being proven wrong for the sake of clarifying an issue, then there is nothing wrong with speaking freely. When people aren't afraid of being shut down, and feel comfortable, then they are capable of expressing themselves with much more creativity.

The worst case-scenario is that they are wrong, but really that is also the best-case-scenario because then someone can provide correction and everyone can learn. Now, on a wiki, we need to be academic skeptics to some degree; but on forums, we should have the liberty being Pyrrhonian skeptics so that we can all advance together. With that understanding, if someone makes a claim, it's like making a move in chess: the expectation is that it will be met with a rational challenge. But this chess metaphor also fails in an important way because no one should be trying to "win" when they talk. A better metaphor would be to think of a thread as a chess game, but that we are all anonymously taking turns just for the sake of having a good game.

tl;dr: It's about finding the truth of the issue rather than trying to be right. And if we aren't willing to risk being proven wrong then we will be that much further from advancing our ideas on the whole.

But talk like this about implicitly tying noobs' hands up with cautious speech really concerns me:
It would be totally different if he posted it like this

Can anyone see why?
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

caffeine

That was interesting, Duck, and I think you make a good point.

Saying "I believe," "I think," "in my opinion," and so on is usually bad style. I remember learning about this in high school. 1) It's redundant because your reader already knows and assumes that your writing is in your opinion and is what you believe. Good writing is concise and to the point. 2) It lacks an air of confidence. If you really do believe something, you should state it confidently.

If someone says something that's incorrect, then it should be easy enough to point out where they went wrong. "It may look like TSTs do more damage than TSDs on the surface of things, but really they send about the same garbage per row that you clear." "Oh thank you for clearing that up for me kind sir. I was mistaken."

Paul676

lol paradox you're the worst at stating your opinions on things as facts. Sure something might help you, but it may not help the next man. Stating them as if they're proven to help everyone is, as you say, silly.

My actual view is that the general consensus should be treated as generally true, facts which can be backed up by a full analysis should be treated as facts (as long as the analysis is complete and correct), and everything else should be treated as opinion, so long as it's not said above or below to be claimed as a fact.
               Tetris Belts!

Blink

Quote from: XaeL
Look at the video's ive posted on HD. none of them are for subbing 60 seconds.

Are you saying only sub 30 should be allowed to post videos or something?

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
Theres a thread for that, and its not the front page.
[/quote]

There's a video section to add your Tetris-related videos, and they just did that.  The front page just shows the most recently added ones.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
read my response to darthduck
ngawww. i care about what they say. As long as they dont post sh** videos on the front page.
Precisely. If you want to join our community, i expect that you give the community as much respect as you want it to give you. Posting ur sh** videos on the front page without realising how sh** it is, and then saying ZOMG ITS AWESOME, clearly shows that you did not even view other videos to make a ballpark of what "good" is.
[/quote]

I don't see how posting a personal best video to our community is disrespectful.  If they were behaving like carcajou and kept talking trash I would take care of it.  Just because their record isn't impressive to you, doesn't make their videos "sh**".  There will always be players that are better, and even some of your records wouldn't seem impressive to some players.  We've all been there at one point and the majority of players in this community are here to improve.

Common etiquette is all i'm asking for. Noobs can post about their 1:30 woes in a relevant thread, where it belongs. Not the front page. That's not elitism. That's manners.
What about rare, good content vs frequent sh** content which you have to trawl through to reach the gems?
Everytime i come on harddrop i have to watch and skip through 5 videos. Because people think its a good idea to post their videos in sets of 3. And after watching 20 seconds i wonder if its a troll video. Then i have to watch ANOTHER 30 seconds to figure out if their intentionally trolling or not. With witty titles like "<name> plays tetris". and i have to do that FIVE times. thats 250 seconds. And i'm not the only person that has to endure this pain. Thats 250n seconds. TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY TIMES ENNNNN.
[/quote]

The problem here isn't the videos, it's that you take 50 seconds to make up your mind if you want to watch a video or not.  Next time skip the video as soon as you're not impressed. I'm not going to discourage participation from lesser skilled members, even if it costs you a few seconds of your life.

Paradox

Quote from: caffeine
Saying "I believe," "I think," "in my opinion," and so on is usually bad style.

Who cares about style, it lets the reader know that you aren't 100% sure of what you are saying. Are you supposed to have complete confidence if you are new to tetris? I wouldn't think so.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Can anyone see why?[/quote]

You seem to see it as a tag saying "hey i'm noob". Thats exactly what it is isn't it? If you are a new player or new to the forum you shouldn't think you know everything already. It makes sense for you to take on that tone.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]lol paradox you're the worst at stating your opinions on things as facts. Sure something might help you, but it may not help the next man. Stating them as if they're proven to help everyone is, as you say, silly.[/quote]

If i'm giving it as advice its because I'm certain it will help other players if they follow it. You can always argue it with me. BUT i'm actually backing up with experience and my own personal achievement.

Its not like i'm logging on here with a 1 minute sprint time trying to give people advice about getting sub 30. Which people actually do. And that is what I don't like.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]If someone says something that's incorrect, then it should be easy enough to point out where they went wrong.[/quote]

good point. Its just time consuming when they post similar junk on every thread (not accusing anyone)
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

myndzi

If they respond to corrections or constructive criticism, I see no problem. If they instead respond with aggressiveness or flaming, then they'll wind up banned or the thread locked or whatever. Nobody's forcing you to expend energy on people you disagree with. Harness your rage

Anonymous

Quote from: DarthDuck
It's about finding the truth of the issue rather than trying to be right. And if we aren't willing to risk being proven wrong then we will be that much further from advancing our ideas on the whole.

wow, my hero man!

I've never thought about it that way. I always figured I didn't want to mislead people in case I was ever wrong, but your post has inspired me to be a better person!

Also, you're giving people advice based on anecdotal evidence, which basically doesn't count as evidence. Just because something is good for you doesn't mean it's going to help other players.

And, just because you're not good at something doesn't mean you can't have a good understand of the mechanics of the game.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

Paradox

Quote from: myndzi
If they respond to corrections or constructive criticism, I see no problem. If they instead respond with aggressiveness or flaming, then they'll wind up banned or the thread locked or whatever. Nobody's forcing you to expend energy on people you disagree with. Harness your rage

It bugs me because people go on thinking

"oh I guess I should do this because this guy seemed pretty sure of it"

I'm mostly referring to threads where people ask for advice and other new players give them advice that is pretty wrong.

but yeah I can just ignore it . Which for the most part i do.

~More skill for me if people run around with noob theories.~

ok done posting on this thread. I've said what I wanted to say

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--][/quote]

is that a .....  ? nvm must be imagining it

Paul676

Paradox: When in general people work well using both ways, then it's not a fact that one or other of those is "right" in comparison to the other. That is my point. e.g. Anon and I are quick using hold, you're quick not doing so. Both styles work well. Likewise, both of us work well tetris stacking, but briann and koreans are better freeform.

When in general people only work well using one thing, then it can approach being the better thing to do than the other thing.
               Tetris Belts!