HD chess ladder

Started by DarthDuck, October 20, 2011, 10:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarthDuck

Quote from: Paradox
oh also I think the ladder should be point based. Like if you beat someone way higher than you then you get a bit more points. Swapping could be weird because wouldn't people have different styles?
I don't understand your speculation about different styles.

Also, I did consider a point system but that sounds really complicated, and am not sure how that would even work until we get more people on the ladder.

I think the swapping is currently fair, and will be something that will become increasingly fair/balanced, at least in the short run. The way chess showdowns usually work is that people play each other until one finally just rages. It's actually a pretty definitive way of determining a stronger player. I'm open to suggestions though, the rules are just temporary/operational at the moment. And I'm still not sure what to do if someone fails to respond to a challenge within say, 2 weeks. I think it should go to the challenger by default in that case, with the chance of being undone if the challenged player ever shows up.

edit:
Quote from: ParadoxLike if you beat someone way higher than you then you get a bit more points.
That's how the actual chess rating works, but it's a super-complicated formula. I guess I could just post the latest chess rating next to the names but that would be a lot of work to keep updated.
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

EnFuego

If I could figure out how to work this it would be great. Someone challenge me to a game sometime on monday!

DarthDuck

Enfuego vs Darthduck 1-2 (time constraints: 5/0).

These were good games but often ended with bad time pressure since we weren't using bonuses. He doesn't like to play with bonuses, but in retrospect would rather use a clock with something like 60/0. We drew in our practice round and he is a very difficult person to beat. Anyone who wants a tough match in a longer game should challenge him.

And to potentially prepare for a point system like Paradox was saying, I will track the challenge records in the OPs.
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

benmullen

EnFuego

Quote from: DarthDuck
These were good games but often ended with bad time pressure since we weren't using bonuses. He doesn't like to play with bonuses, but in retrospect would rather use a clock with something like 60/0. We drew in our practice round and he is a very difficult person to beat. Anyone who wants a tough match in a longer game should challenge him.

I don't play blitz very well and I haven't touched chess in like 5 months. I would need to study up some openings if I wanted to play any decent blitz games. Any rated match I ever played had atleast a 60/5 time constraint.

DarthDuck

Every game on chess.com is saved in an archive, and if you like a game, you can submit it for computer analysis although it takes a few hours. The analysis is also fun because it will tell you what opening was used, which you can always research in their opening book. For example, after submitting this game for analysis I learned the opening I used for black was the Mikenas Defense.

ParadoxChestris def. HDdarthduck

That is Paradox's first ever chess game, which he won... He has tried face-to-face chess games but didn't know the rules, so this is technically his first (since the computer only lets you make legal moves). I sacrificed a couple minor pieces but I was still trying to win...

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad338/ericallione/ParadoxHax-1.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad338/ericallione/ParadoxHax-1.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

I usually use that opening against new opponents to see how they react.  The analysis calls it a blunder, but that early knight sacrifice still is effective against beginners/intermediates because the ability to castle is lost. However, Paradox responds with an early (and quite advanced) checkmate.

Paradox

and then I lost twice in a row
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

DarthDuck

@Caffeine

I looked it up and was surprised to see that a majority of legit analysis supported your claim that a lone bishop is better than a lone knight in the endgame. Main source: http://www.chessforums.org/chess-game-anal...sis-please.html

But still if you lose one of the bishops, then the other becomes much less valuable. "The bishop pair is also more than twice as strong as one bishop alone" (Tao of Chess). That means having two free-roaming bishops is worth about the same as having 4 1/2 relatively tied-up bishops. So losing one paired bishop can be like losing 3.5 bishops.

Otherwise it's advisable to trade a knight for a bishop except when you have two knights and one bishop. Then you would want to kill off the bishop to keep your knight pair. Knights don't multiply as much in power as bishops too but they still give each other a boost. And if a relatively-trapped bishop wants to trade itself for your knight, then definitely not.

I guess that's it though... so I was wrong about the knight having the definitive tactical advantage in endgame. If anything it's the other way around minus a few rare exceptions. Looking forward to the rest of our challenge!

caffeine

10 - 8 against Darthduck. 20/0 time controls. ggs.

riisssaaa

Ducky~ you update quickly xD.
My user is already here :O.

(Chess players please be gentle for Rissa is not learned at chess   )

twirler

Hi. Ign in chess.com is SASMuarOoi. So what is all these about?

DarthDuck

Hi, I sent you a friend request on chess.com. The idea for this came up while we were having our first tinychat session. The ladder is a way for us to find others here who play chess and to keep ourselves motivated to keep playing, since chess is one of those things that's easy not to play for several years if you don't know people near your level.

Your rating is pretty high but I would be happy to play a challenge against you or just for fun; I am especially interested in sparring in bullet.

coolmaninsano

Quote from: twirlerSo what is all these about?
We talk about the aesthetics of the Mongolian national hockey team jerseys.[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://www.frosken.com/hockey/mongol23f.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://www.frosken.com/hockey/mongol23f.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Also, ignore me. It might improve your experience on this site.

twirler

Sure i love to play bullet .Hope to play u soon.

CaptainPaul

Anyone want to play a game?