Tetris Link Scrimmage

Started by Sisu, September 22, 2011, 04:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myndzi

Yeah, I think I misinterpreted "less pieces" - it could mean less pieces played, or less left over.

You said "all else being equal" - but things are not equal if there is a piece discrepancy  If you were referring to players making the same number of holes, or creating the same number of orphans, then still the player with more pieces in the matrix has the advantage - both in points and in unplayed pieces by the opponent.

Quote from: zaphod77
And again, I'm sorry for commenting on the placement.
I wasn't trying to "rub it in" - just explain my tone a little better. It's not a big deal in this case - not like, say, pointing out a checkmate to someone who was going to miss it

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
I have no problem with party games. I do, however, have problems with party games that call themselves strategy games.
[/quote]
> Expecting marketing material on the box to be representative of the game inside

Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit: SISU WERE U GO

zaphod77

I was looking at the rule card.

If people really want i can do my rant now.

myndzi

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH SISU

(Maybe he's taking an epic picture)

I didn't want to get embroiled in a discussion and squeeze out the actual game posts. The game is a couple turns away from ending, Sisu is absent, and we've already well and truly taken over the thread, so I guess it doesn't matter. Post away

caffeine

Quote from: myndzi
Yeah, I think I misinterpreted "less pieces" - it could mean less pieces played, or less left over.

You said "all else being equal" - but things are not equal if there is a piece discrepancy  If you were referring to players making the same number of holes, or creating the same number of orphans, then still the player with more pieces in the matrix has the advantage - both in points and in unplayed pieces by the opponent.
I wasn't trying to "rub it in" - just explain my tone a little better. It's not a big deal in this case - not like, say, pointing out a checkmate to someone who was going to miss it
> Expecting marketing material on the box to be representative of the game inside

Haha, but wasn't I responding to zaphod, who said "despite your piece deficit"? =b

Yes, what I meant by "all else being equal" was to to say "ignoring any other advantages that come with having your opponent's turn skipped. For example, I feel like I could've finished my incomplete chain had I not missed a turn, and I also think I could've forced one of your chains to be incomplete had I not lost one particular turn. As you mentioned already, having extra turns also allow the player to control the board and make it better for him.

myndzi

Yeah, but the game itself is conditions on conditions on conditions... no use postulating multiple situations in the same game as if they wouldn't affect each other

Sisu

[attachmentid=317]

caffeine 13-15 myndzi

caffeine rolls I

caffeine

zaphod77

wow. the rules are actually unclear on two points, and they might actually matter.

1) if you roll tetris link are you obligated to chose a piece that fits in the matrix?
2) if your piece cannot be played is your turn skipped if other plays are possible or is that game over? or is it game over for just you?

My guesses are that you are obligated to chose one you can place if possible, and that the game ends if your current piece cannot be played.

Sisu

[attachmentid=318]

caffeine 14-15 myndzi

myndzi rolls L/J

caffeine

wow. the rules are actually unclear on two points, and they might actually matter.

1) if you roll tetris link are you obligated to chose a piece that fits in the matrix?
2) if your piece cannot be played is your turn skipped if other plays are possible or is that game over? or is it game over for just you?

My guesses are that you are obligated to chose one you can place if possible, and that the game ends if your current piece cannot be played.
Wouldn't it be like Scrabble where the game ends once all players have no more plays left?

Sisu

"The game is played until the tower is full and no more pieces can be added."

zaphod77

Yes, but tetris traditionally ends the game going on in the field when an illegal play is forced.

and it VERY much matters for this endgame here, especially if tetris link is rolled.  

Quote from: Sisu

This would seem suggest that as long as it's possible to play ANY piece then if you have no legal move your turn is skipped.

since any moves left at this point are BAD, it definitely matters.

myndzi

L3A

"If a player rolls TETRIS LINK, he/she can select any Tetrimino from their color set to drop into the tower."

Seems pretty clear to me. If you can't place it, you can't play it.

Also clear.

Edit:

Tetris also "traditionally" removes complete lines from the matrix. I think we can safely assume that video game rules don't apply to physics here, especially when the rules are fairly clearly stated.

BTW, that last picture was neat Sisu

caffeine

Yes, but tetris traditionally ends the game going on in the field when an illegal play is forced.

and it VERY much matters for this endgame here, especially if tetris link is rolled.
The rules say that the game ends when no more pieces can be played, though. To me, that sounds like if any more pieces can fit, then they must eventually be played.

zaphod77

Well, it all comes down to this move by myndzi, then. Choose wisely.