Team 2v2

Started by myndzi, June 07, 2011, 11:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of 2v2 tournament would you be interested in?

"Normal"
3 (18.8%)
"Tank"
5 (31.3%)
"Team cancel"
8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 16

myndzi

I'm going to describe a couple ideas I've had for Nullpomino here, and I'd like you guys to vote on which one most interests you.

Normal would just be current team vs, which in my opinion isn't very interesting at all.

Tank is a mode that I implemented in Nullpomino, but is currently disabled and has no setting to enable it. The basic premise is that garbage is sent to all members of a team by default, but players can elect to be the ones that receive garbage by pressing a key. When you are your team's "tank", your teammates receive no garbage, but you get it all undivided (?). If you die, garbage goes back to split among your teammates.

Team cancel is a slightly different idea, and is currently unimplemented (but shouldn't be too hard to implement). The idea is that when you send attacks, you also clear from your teammates' garbage meters. This idea is more about implicit teamwork and cooperation than explicit action like Tank.

Either of these last two would require a separate Nullpo download and a different server to play it on; I can provide the files and host the server as well as make sure the code works, etc.

I'll be honest with you; unless there's major interest in a normal 2v2 tournament, I'm disinclined to run it myself - but I'm quite interested in the other two. Keep that in mind when you vote

Noogy

cool stuff, although the tank mode would be a lot more fun in 3v3
st stacking would also be a desirable skill

myndzi

As well as survival  The garbage type makes a big difference here, too. Neither of these have been tested so some adjustments and playtesting may be necessary.

Edit: Your comment about ST stacking also brings up a related point. I should probably disable 180s entirely in that mode so nobody can set up infinite lolspins.

Edit2: Ever seen a center 4-wide as a defensive tool?

ohitsstef

:O BOTH MODES SOUND SO COOOLLLL
although i like team cancel more..

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Paradox

I like the cancel mode.
--------------------

I had an idea that I thought was good for team work.

One teammate is the attacker, one is the defender.

Attacker: Sends lines to opponents defender, does not receive garbage.

Defender: Receives lines from opponents attacker, does not send lines.

The defender can cancel lines from the other attacker. The defenders job is to constantly downstack and/or cancel .

If the defender tops out the team loses (or if the attacker is stupid and tops himself out)

anyway just sharing an idea.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

myndzi

Quote from: Paradox
I like the cancel mode.
--------------------

The defender can cancel lines from the other attacker. The defenders job is to constantly downstack and/or cancel .

If the defender tops out the team loses (or if the attacker is stupid and tops himself out)

This is basically what Tank mode is about, except the players can change who is defending at will. (And the remaining player can pull out a victory if he's good!)

Paradox

yeah I was thinking you would be able to switch roles anyway to avoid people from st stacking the whole game.

one difference is that a person who is the tank can send lines, the defender in mine can only cancel and downstack.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Paul676

how about also having a button where if you're in trouble, you can elect your teammate to take all the garbage for a specific time?
               Tetris Belts!

myndzi

Quote from: Paul676
how about also having a button where if you're in trouble, you can elect your teammate to take all the garbage for a specific time?

Where's the teamwork in that? The goal is to pay attention to and work with your partner(s).

Anonymous

Quote from: Paradox
I like the cancel mode.
--------------------

There might be a slight problem with this though.

Pretty much one of the main sources of attacking is the use of garbage to set up t-spins, tetrises, etc. So the attacker will only be able to send lines that he creates from t-spins/tetrises, while the defender will be able to cancel with lines he creates from t-spins/tetrises AND from the garbage. So the defender has a massive advantage over the attackers, so games might go on forever. Although if there were 2 attackers and 1 defender it might be different.

Also, there's nothing to prevent the attacker from just constantly building 4-wide combos to kill his opponent, since the attackers don't receive any garbage.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

myndzi

Quote from: Anonymous

Pretty much one of the main sources of attacking is the use of garbage to set up t-spins, tetrises, etc. So the attacker will only be able to send lines that he creates from t-spins/tetrises, while the defender will be able to cancel with lines he creates from t-spins/tetrises AND from the garbage. So the defender has a massive advantage over the attackers, so games might go on forever. Although if there were 2 attackers and 1 defender it might be different.

Also, there's nothing to prevent the attacker from just constantly building 4-wide combos to kill his opponent, since the attackers don't receive any garbage.

That's part of why being able to switch or have both accept is interesting. In tank mode, all team members send -- so whoever is tanking is going to have their hands full just drilling. There may be more effective mechanisms for keeping on pressure than 4-widing, but it would interestingly make a good *defensive* tactic if you drew it out and used it only to cancel, for example. Anyway, I like team cancel better since the roles are less defined, but it still gives cooperation and teamwork a chance to be effective. It also might require things like coordinated spikes to put on an effective attack.

Paradox

Quote from: Anonymous

The defender won't have an advantage. The attacker on the other team is receiving no garbage which means no pressure. All they do goes directly to the defender. Imagine I was in a 1v1 with you and you could only cancel my garbage and downstack, and my job was just to send you lines. Of course if you were good enough I would not be able to top you out and then my defender would likely lose.

But even if the canceling gave an advantage we could always make canceling the job of the attacker (or remove it).

When it comes to 4-wide its overpowered and stupid for any game mode, so of course this wouldn't be an exception. Disable combos or changing the table might be a good solution.

The only problem I see is if we have two amazing defenders and two crappy attackers, but they would be switching roles anyway. and last resort: hurry up garbage.

larrytetris

Never saw this before myndzi, why'd you never bring it up?

Tank sounds frickin' awesome too.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

Tenel1

Quote from: myndzi
I'm going to describe a couple ideas I've had for Nullpomino here, and I'd like you guys to vote on which one most interests you.

Normal would just be current team vs, which in my opinion isn't very interesting at all.

Tank is a mode that I implemented in Nullpomino, but is currently disabled and has no setting to enable it. The basic premise is that garbage is sent to all members of a team by default, but players can elect to be the ones that receive garbage by pressing a key. When you are your team's "tank", your teammates receive no garbage, but you get it all undivided (?). If you die, garbage goes back to split among your teammates.

Team cancel is a slightly different idea, and is currently unimplemented (but shouldn't be too hard to implement). The idea is that when you send attacks, you also clear from your teammates' garbage meters. This idea is more about implicit teamwork and cooperation than explicit action like Tank.

Either of these last two would require a separate Nullpo download and a different server to play it on; I can provide the files and host the server as well as make sure the code works, etc.

I'll be honest with you; unless there's major interest in a normal 2v2 tournament, I'm disinclined to run it myself - but I'm quite interested in the other two. Keep that in mind when you vote

Both tank and team council sound cool

myndzi

LARRY UPLOAD THE TEAM CANCEL ZIP TO A FREE FILE HOST AND GIVE ME THE LINK PLS THX