Summer Nullpo Prize tournament?

Started by Blink, April 29, 2011, 02:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubixcreature

This might sound lame, but is certainly cheaper.
If the prizes are listed on amazon and are $25 or more, the shipping is free, we could send them directly to the winners rather than you receive them first and then to the winners. But this really just depends on the items, many can be found for cheaper than Amazon's listed price.

Quote from: Ukrainian4Life
I would be interested in commentating (not streaming though) =P
Also I can put forth a 25$ iTunes gift card or something.

In regards to the tournament, any way to have tiers of players? Since I know that there will be favorites in the tournament, which may discourage some entries.

I would agree with this, It would be cool to have like 3 seperate tiers or something, Amateurs, Intermediate, and Pro players. I dunno, I think this would help motivate people but it could end up being more expensive.

ohitsstef

Quote from: Paul676

I believe tagitagi and rowaks are both Korean, so they play/have played both toj, hangame and nullpo. They should be able to help us  Seungcheol plays Hangame and has played Blockbox, same goes for him.

rowaks is japanese............................................

if you guys do tiers
how would this go
tiers based on 40 lines time?
cause we all know 40 lines times do not go hand in hand with how well you play 1v1

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Alexsweden

Quote from: cubixcreature
Amateurs, Intermediate, and Pro players. I dunno, I think this would help motivate people but it could end up being more expensive.

Like it but think that the majority of the money should be too the Pro players as this would get the best from all parts of the world including like korea that do not participate otherwise. More top players = better and more fun games = more viewers = more contributions/donations later on  and better PR overall.

What do we think about the spread of money? - I mean should it be winner takes it all or top 8 all get smaller prizes or something in between?

Rosti_LFC

Tiers won't work. Especially if the lower tiers offer prizes. There are only a handful of players with a chance of winning the top prize - why would the majority of players enter into the Pro division if they have a much better chance of winning if they enter a lower division? How exactly would you regulate which players should be in the top division, and which shouldn't? There's not a good enough ranking system to rank people to begin to with, let alone one which would be impossible to fake as well.

It's a nice idea, but it's totally infeasible IMO.

Maii04

im up for commentating and streaming

Paul676

thanks stef, duly noted

I'm happy to commentate
               Tetris Belts!

Maii04

Alright, im giving a $15 itunes gift card
do you want me to mail it to you blink or to the winner?

Blink

Thanks Maii, I think we have enough prizes for a good tournament.  No need to use everything at once.

Give it to me first, so I have all the prizes here in one place.  Isn't it just a code?  If you can give me the code that works too.

1st - $25 gift card
2nd - $15 gift card
3rd - $10 gift card

Most exciting match bonus OR most surprising performer - $15 itunes gift card for winner of it

What do you guys think?

blazen_azn

Quote from: Blink
Most exciting match bonus OR most surprising performer - $15 itunes gift card for winner of it

What do you guys think?

give it to the commentators

Noogy

most exciting match would be a good one

coolmaninsano

Can there be some regulation on the commentators, basically so it doesn't become a complete clusterf*** of who's commentating what and when, but also so it's actually commentary and not a streamed Skype conversation with a Tetris match going on. I mean singing during BBPRO,  . Also, some experience requirements for them? The following is quoted from Paradox:
[spoiler]
Quote from: Someone2knoe
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggested outline for Commentators:

Pre-game:

-Thank the viewers for watching TTO.
-Introduce yourself.
-Introduce who the two players are (asking the players how pronouncing their username before you start is a good idea. Also know their gender so you don't say he/she incorrectly -_-.)
-if you know the players talk about their habits, strengths, and subtly talk about their weaknesses.
-Before the game starts state something along the lines of "It will be an interesting match-up"

First round:

-State what each player is starting with. If the set-up is common, don't go into too much detail.

Commonly recognized set-ups:

Tetris
2-Wide Combo
3-Wide Combo
4-Wide Combo*
T-Spin Double
T-Spin Triple*
Imperial Cross*
Perfect Clear*
Back to Back*

* For  more complicated set-ups, state the name of the set up (if you know it, if not just call it a set-up), explain the difficulty level, and explain the benefits to using it to start out.

** Do not refer to perfect clear as a bravo or all clear. The terminology Perfect Clear is consistent with Tetris Friends.

All rounds:

-State the score. If it is game point then say so. Also state when someone takes a lead.

-State what each player is starting with if they change set-ups.

-It is okay to repeat what a set-up a player is using on the 2nd round they use it, but avoid being redundant.

-Express an element of surprise if a player is dominating while commenting on the losing player with phrases like "[Player A] better pull himself together, [Player B] is totally dominating"

- Try to give equal attention to both players.

- Do not mention tetris clones.

- Do not talk about tetris, TTC, or TF negatively.

- Use pauses, they are effective.

- To describe what is happening frequently use words from the wiki. State the significance but do not give a definition for simple terms.

Suggested words to use:

~ Single, Double, Triple
~ Soft Drop
~ Twist
~ Kick
~ Misdrop
~ Overhang
~ Skim / Skimming
~  Stack (verb)
~ Stack (noun)
~ Tetromino
~ Top out
~ Downstack
~ Garbage
~ Finesse

I suggest reading the wiki, especially if you don't recognize some of these terms.

- If you run out of things to say you can recall previous matches of the contenders and state how that went and how it ties into the current match.

Match end

-Summarize what happened very briefly

-Compliment the loser's effort

-Congratulate the winner

-Conclude by saying who you are again and thanking the viewer for watching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Example

What do you guys think of this format? Of course I don't think it should be followed strictly, but I think its a good outline.
[/spoiler]I think this is a good outline for the commentators, obviously not to be absolutely strictly enforced, but better than just people fu**ing around on the stream. If Tetris is going to expand, it would be better to show off real commentators to bring new players in than (no offense to anyone) people just commentating to do it. Also, the more people commentating, the worse. Can there be an absolute cap at two for the bigger (round of 16) matches, three for the lesser rounds. Take this seriously  
--------------------
How will the tournament be structured, single elimination then double for round of 16? That really doesn't make any sense to switch mid tournament.

Paradox

In regards to commentators:

1. I think it should always be 2 people. No less and no more than 2 people.  With one or more people on as reserve, muted until they are needed.

2. Definitely needs to be taken seriously if we want others to take it seriously. I'll admit I wasn't that great of a commentator either seeing as how it was my first time. I was at least trying to stay on topic while people started talking about Dragonball Z or something.

3. For the earlier matches I think it should be open game for the commentators that signed up (but still 2 per match). Once the big matches start coming up the commentators should be hand picked people with a lot of insight about what is going on.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

cubixcreature

Quote from: Paradox
In regards to commentators:

1. I think it should always be 2 people. No less and no more than 2 people.  With one or more people on as reserve, muted until they are needed.

I would agree with the 2 person rule. I remember I think during TTO there were a few matches with 3 people commentating, which made people cut each other off often and would get confusing at times.

ryan_heise

Quote from: BlinkI am considering having a large tournament on NullpoMino in the Summer

The Summer?

Alexsweden

I would like to do some random commentating before this with someone just to warm up, anyone else feel the same way?