Summer Nullpo Prize tournament?

Started by Blink, April 29, 2011, 02:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

I am considering having a large tournament on NullpoMino in the Summer for prizes, hopefully with the same  amount of effort put in as the TTO.  Maybe 2 of these type of events a year would be nice.   We'd need a lot of community help promoting the event like we had with TTO, with people spreading the word on twitter/facebook/their TF profiles or whatever.  We'd also need commentators, and I remember some players and Nullpo devs pledged in the past that they would donate toward a NullpoMino community tournament, so if they could do so  sometime in the near future we could get that part handled.

What we need:

* Commentators
* Everyone to spread the word once registration opens
* Prizes

To cut down on shipping costs, I think gift card prizes or something like that  would work out nicely.  Does anyone have any better ideas?

I know that some of the top Japanese players would compete, so I think this really could be a good tournament with the best in the world.  I know that some players are becoming discouraged from entering tournaments because they think they have no chance to win, or that it's always the  same few players at the end, but this is about more than just winning a tournament.  It's a chance to promote a game you love, NullpoMino, and help make it more popular.  It also helps HD become more popular as well =) so you can hopefully attract new players to come here who could potentially become your good friend someday.

I'm leaning towards TOJ ruleset because it's the most popular of all the game modes, and is the closest to guideline that many players are familiar with.

============
Commentators list

Blink
Beastin_Shen
Paradox
coolmaninsano
vipjun
Zircean
AlexSweden
Maii04

jennr246

Nullpomino tourney sounds good to me!  Of course I'd prefer allspins, but either way...
I'd be willing to stream/commentate if I'm available.
I may also consider donating a prize.
☠ Jennr246

Beastin_Shen

id be willing to help stream/cast replays and such a la youtube.
<div style="overflow: hidden; background-image: url(http://harddrop.com/design/pic/badges/bg_black.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 285px; height: 80px;position:relative;"><span style="width:60px;height:80px;float:left;overflow: hidden;margin-top:10px;margin-left:10px;"><a href="http://hard

Paradox

Hell yes!

By the way I would like to be a commentator. I recently got a AT2020 Microphone

Please, Please, Please get Japanese and Korean players. I know korea has a large player base we have to tap into- as well as japan.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Blink

Quote from: Paradox
Hell yes!

By the way I would like to be a commentator. I recently got a AT2020 Microphone
Please, Please, Please get Japanese and Korean players. I know korea has a large player base we have to tap into- as well as japan.

How do you suggest tapping into the Korean userbase?  They're so isolated, hebo-MAI also tried with no luck.

Also - I'm considering July to start.  Late June is when a lot of people get Summer break, then July Tetris activity picks up.

Paradox

Quote from: Blink
How do you suggest tapping into the Korean userbase?  They're so isolated, hebo-MAI also tried with no luck.

We had some korean players on here- try to contact them to see if they have any ideas?

Does hangame have any forums? Do the players have any fan websites?

I feel like we are missing out on tons of good players from there.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

coolmaninsano

vipjun

Since i'm pretty bad at actually playing tetris, maybe i'll have a career in commentating

EnFuego

I say go for it. I know it is hard to get/guarantee prizes quickly, but if you make the tournament early, it gives time for people who aren't necessarily nullpo inclined to practice and get ready. We could also use this as an opportunity to expand player base if we advertise enough on other sites with decent prizes

Quote from: Blink

Make a tetris post on the korean starcraft forums? (serious suggestion)

Ukrainian4Life

I would be interested in commentating (not streaming though) =P
Also I can put forth a 25$ iTunes gift card or something.

In regards to the tournament, any way to have tiers of players? Since I know that there will be favorites in the tournament, which may discourage some entries.
"I am dreaming less and sleeping more, but I'll sell my soul for the dream you stole." - Armor for Sleep

Alexsweden

Love it, will donate if there is a good way to do it. (dont like paypal but it might do)

Would also like to comentate but i have to see about that as english is not my mother tunge..

I think it would be great to have many prizes - this would still make people like me who cant get into the absolute top hope for at least some prizes. But still the winner should get a large part of it as that will attract the best players making the final games better!

Anyone (me?) up for making a promo/hype video(s) for this? It is always fun and its a good thing to give links too as people rather see a video than read about smth.

Zircean

I'll be up for commentating...

Man, I need to stop having work to do so I can get started on 7.6.
[div align=\\\"CENTER\\\"]Dev Blog | | Google Code[/div]

Ukrainian4Life

I agree with EnFuego, to reach majority of Koreans, someone with a teamliquid account should make a thread on teamliquid.net and I am sure we'd get plenty of feedback/interest.
"I am dreaming less and sleeping more, but I'll sell my soul for the dream you stole." - Armor for Sleep

Rosti_LFC

I can do commentating, assuming I'm around to actually do it when the tournament runs.

If you're going to go for gift cards/online vouchers, then I'd say Amazon is clearly the best choice. Lots of people don't have/use iTunes to buy music, but I'm sure pretty much everyone could find something to buy on Amazon.

If the timing works out well I'll make a theatrical trailer for it as well. Probably not one with awesome live-action stuff like the Nintendo Tetris one (link), but I'll see what I can knock up in AFX.

Paul676

Amazon giftcards would be the best idea, I'd agree.

TOJ ruleset would be the best for this tourney, given it is the one most people can be proficient at, because it's the guideline.

Blink, with donations, what about creating a facebook ad for it? That way you can reach friends of friends as well as only friends of harddrop, most of whom would enter anyway.

I believe tagitagi is Korean, and she plays/has played both toj, hangame and nullpo. Hopefully she should be able to help us  Seungcheol plays Hangame and has played Blockbox, same goes for him.

I stumbled across the Hangame forums when I was browsing - they have whole team forums, with team tags etc. I've noticed what a Hangame player does when he joins a team is make another account - so if he joins the team "Stars" he would have the team tag before his name. Then he works up from bottom ranks to higher ranks. So to get one of Tagi, Rowa or Seungcheol to help us get intelligence/people coming to harddrop/people downloading nullpo from Korea would be a large step in the right direction
               Tetris Belts!