Ladder For Tetris Clans

Started by Rosti_LFC, December 13, 2010, 07:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

I'm actually teaming up with killahbee, Jes, and jujube.  We haven't decided on the team name yet but you guys don't have to worry about some Blink/hebo/Trance team.

EnFuego

I would try to participate in something like this. But, it would probably lose fun when all the really good people team up and wouldn't be very noob friendly.

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
Well given it's a ladder, in theory clans should be able to join at any time regardless of the length of the season. I don't see why recruiting wouldn't be possible mid-season either.

I do think 5 months could be a touch too long though. I'm also not so sure about the time for players moving between rosters - maybe one month or something?

Problem with short seasons is that it is generally difficult to find a time when you can get all 6 people on or arrange 5 different matches. So each clan might be only able to get a match every couple weeks. Especially if your teams are stuck with the same players.

Maybe doing something like the ever popular nullpo weeklies! Except you can set up clan matches and have a set time each week to play.

Rosti_LFC

In my experience with this sort of thing teams even out anyway. Or at least, they do until there are enough god-tier players to fill several teams, and then they sort of re-even out but at a much higher skill level.

Ultimately it's for fun, and there's not much at stake other than competitive pride. I doubt an all-star team would be fun for those involved any more than it would be those they'd be playing against. Victories are pretty uninspiring and boring without good opponents.

And anyway, there's always the fight for 2nd place too =P

Also, for season length I'll probably at least start out with a fairly short season. I figure if things need changing and tweaking then it will be more helpful, and I'd rather start off with a season that's too short and then lengthen it, rather than having to wait for a season that's too long to drag itself to completion.

Paradox

Just a heads up, nullpomino has excellent team support. The max is 3v3 though. You simply type in your team name and anyone with the same team name is considered on the same team. So you could have no team or do 2v2v2 etc.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Profane

yeah the concern of God like Teams doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  Even if you had a few teams that were too strong they would get bored and disband as the season's went on.  you don't see the elite players signing on to bash newbs in 1 v1 games so i doubt their gonna be all that excited about doing the same with a team.

Paradox

Quote from: Profane
 you don't see the elite players signing on to bash newbs in 1 v1 games

I do this every time I log on to TF. Not that I am elite, but in comparison to other rank 11s I am.

The rating system there is very fail. I can beat a lot of Rank 20s, yet I am only rank 11 after 150 games.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

xlro

The issue with player-base does however mean that to start with it'll most likely be on Tetris Friends.
this has just become very uninteresting tbh :p

Unless something better turns up in the next month or two. Or if Nullpo has a decent team mode by then (if it doesn't already - I've not played nullpo netplay in a few months).
what's wrong with it? worked fine, just played teams today
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]NullpoMino[/div]

Jupiter_Joe

I'll just throw this out there.

Have a teams sign up with a season/tournament time already set. Then some form of a draft/auto selection. Bam! Clans are set, those interested but unfamiliar get a taste for them, those truly committed to it stay and decide how they'd like to structure it going forward. I'd be happy to work on such a setup.

I know my brief clan experience lacked enough rivals to keep anything going other than an internal mission statement and sense of fellowship to perpetuate itself.

virulent

i'm pretty sure someone mentioned this but maii held a 2on2 toj tourney [i think it's still going on] so there is a little bit of team competition going on~ js
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: Paradox
The rating system there is very fail. I can beat a lot of Rank 20s, yet I am only rank 11 after 150 games.
Clearly you suck in other ways then (like consistency/game sense/choosing opponents), given most of the other players have very little issue ranking up quickly.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
this has just become very uninteresting tbh
[/quote]
psh, fickle...

The main reason I'd be sceptical about choosing nullpomino right now is that it has F***-all players online. I'm already concerned about whether there'll be enough people to make a meaningful ladder without picking a game that few people actually play multiplayer. Plus choosing nullpo adds in a bit of extra faff over choosing game rules beyond a simple "use E+ mode".

TF can attract over 256 players to a tournament. Even with prizes, I can't see nullpomino getting anywhere near that figure.

It's not that I prefer TF, it's just that I'd like to use this to try and strengthen the community and get more players involved, especially of a lower skill level. IMO, TF is a better tool for that than nullpo.

However, if nullpo is a better tool for team match play, then I might rethink it a bit.

xlro

It's not that I prefer TF, it's just that I'd like to use this to try and strengthen the community and get more players involved, especially of a lower skill level. IMO, TF is a better tool for that than nullpo.
fair enough

would be a good idea then to allow teams to play their matches on nullpo if they want to (it's no problem to recreate E+ to make it like TF minus the input lag, if this would be an issue - I hope not, i.e. use decent rules for nullpo in the first place)
this hopefully would lead to teams, who only know TF, changing to nullpo down the road, cause they are always bugged about it by the probably better teams : )
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]NullpoMino[/div]

Paradox

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Clearly you suck in other ways then [/quote]
You are clearly a jerk.

Good luck planning this whole thing with that mentality. Peace.

XaeL

Quote from: Paradox
I do this every time I log on to TF. Not that I am elite, but in comparison to other rank 11s I am.

i got to rank 20 in about 160 games... strange.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

perfectclear

Quote from: XaeL
i got to rank 20 in about 160 games... strange.

Ive seen a few rank 20s with the newcomer symbol before- EG, in 25 games or less.

Paul676

pc - that's an error - I've seen it before, but when you look closer, they have played more games. I didn't reply to Paradox before for fear I'd look like I'm boasting....but I'm sure he himself will now agree with me (since he's now rank 20) that it's not that hard to rank up....I once did it in roughly 2-3 hours of continuous play
               Tetris Belts!