Half-Step DT Cannon Midgame

Started by chopin, December 08, 2010, 04:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopin

Ok so here I'm making a small post about a very useful occurrence that comes up quite often in multiplayer games. I call this easy recognition method the Half-Step DT.

This is a common shape that arises on the field. By using the S/J or OZ as a hang, you can create a good shape with a good balance of pieces.
[fumen]110@cdE3jbH3gbI3gbI3gbH3gbO3gbF3gbN3qbA4GXd4lk?b3lnb0lob0licAgbXdQRkbPRnbMRobMRicAgb[/fumen]

You can make it using other shapes too, but from experience, I find that these two work the best.
Half-Step A
[fumen]110@cdE3jbH3gbI3gbI3gbH3gbO3gbF3gbN3qbHxH7eCO8?A6zAh6A[/fumen]
Half-Step B
[fumen]110@cdE3jbH3gbI3gbI3gbH3gbO3gbF3gbN3qbrwH7eBO8?AkuA[/fumen]

Notice that this shape is popular enough to have many possibilities:
Purple Rain - T-Spin Single, T-Spin Mini, T-Spin Double
[fumen]110@cdE3jbH3gbI3gbI3gbH3gbO3gbF3gbN3qbHxH7eJdJ?cdicFCBAAA15b1hcNBBAAAj4AAAA[/fumen]
TSD Stacking - T-Spin Double, T-Spin Double
[fumen]110@cdE3jbH3gbI3gbI3gbH3gbO3gbF3gbN3qbHxH7eDN8?AKtAh6AAAA[/fumen]

In extreme cases or cases where two T's are coming one after the other, you don't want to waste either and wait for another. Here is a possibility that will either give you a TSS-TST-3 Combo or on games like NullpoMino, a TSS-JSM-TST-3 Combo all with back-to-back bonus:
[fumen]110@cdE3jbH3gbI3gbI3gbH3gbO3gbF3gbN3qbHxH7eNh6?A6zA95b9ccddcdicFCBAAAOIcOcc2cc2hcOBBNDc[/fumen]

Note that mid game Double Triple Cannons are extremely powerful and effective used mid-game. Sending 12-13(B2B) lines (TF) mid-game is better than even a mid-game Perfect Clear, and definitely more rewarding. Cheers

Paul676

Nice, I hadn't thought of that before, I shall have to use it! You'll wanna amend your first fumen which goes into weird colours at the end!
               Tetris Belts!

chopin

ZeroT

I do this a lot mid game too, but why is it a 'half-dt" and not just a regular DT cannon?
☠ ZeroT

Magnanimous

Cool, I hadn't thought of this.  Usually when I have a 2-7 split I just downstack normally...
Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

Paul676

it's a half-step because the start is a half-step...
               Tetris Belts!

jennr246

Very cool Chopin...

Now transfer all your spins knowledge to me
☠ Jennr246

bach_of_tetris

oi who keeps removing my posts lol

EDIT: ok nvm...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Rachmaninoff

chopin

Quote from: jennr246
Very cool Chopin...
Now transfer all your spins knowledge to me

Beep beep boo bop. And... Idk.. what happened to your posts, Bach? o.o

larrytetris

A quick note that the height of the overhang makes it easy to abort even after the overhang is in place, albeit a bit messy:
[fumen]110@cdE3jbH3gbI3gbI3gbH3gbO3gbF3gbN3qbHxH7eA6z?AxeXphbAwNRAv888AwESeDwoo2AsOprDTBAAA7eAZHB3exN?hb9APJAEnVKETPckDLBAAA7eAdMBncZinbssYimbtsYilzk?btslzE3ts8egbM3gbD3JwgbG30lIwE3gbA31loU9eE31lcD?8ekb1lkzpbAAibA3lbA3gbAAobAAhbA3pbOtA7eAAwNqAO3?2TASYJqDB388AwnoRBTymrDFbkiCpYQrDFbssClK5rDu1UT?AylAAA[/fumen]

I'd hope you had two T pieces and an J piece somewhere soon.

Quote from: ZeroT
I do this a lot mid game too, but why is it a 'half-dt" and not just a regular DT cannon?

When the DT cannon shape is detected by TF, it plays a noise from the TST that is a half-step below in pitch the normal noise for the TST. Duh.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

bach_of_tetris

Quote from: larrytetris
A quick note that the height of the overhang makes it easy to abort even after the overhang is in place, albeit a bit messy:
[fumen]110@cdE3jbH3gbI3gbI3gbH3gbO3gbF3gbN3qbHxH7eA6z?AxeXphbAwNRAv888AwESeDwoo2AsOprDTBAAA7eAZHB3exN?hb9APJAEnVKETPckDLBAAA7eAdMBncZinbssYimbtsYilzk?btslzE3ts8egbM3gbD3JwgbG30lIwE3gbA31loU9eE31lcD?8ekb1lkzpbAAibA3lbA3gbAAobAAhbA3pbOtA7eAAwNqAO3?2TASYJqDB388AwnoRBTymrDFbkiCpYQrDFbssClK5rDu1UT?AylAAA[/fumen]

I'd hope you had two T pieces and an J piece somewhere soon.
When the DT cannon shape is detected by TF, it plays a noise from the TST that is a half-step below in pitch the normal noise for the TST. Duh.

its actually a full minor 3rd below

and when you do a back to back dt cannon then the tones play together in contrapuntal polyphony

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Rachmaninoff

larrytetris

Quote from: bach_of_tetris
its actually a full minor 3rd below

and when you do a back to back dt cannon then the tones play together in contrapuntal polyphony
Oh my apologies. I don't have relative pitch
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

Jupiter_Joe

Thank you, Chopin. Mid game patterns is the sort of thing really that is helpful to me in learning setups.