TTO Playoffs (PLAY ASAP!) + Prize photos

Started by Blink, September 24, 2010, 04:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crzy242

☠  crzy242

Blink

Quote from: crzy242
so are the japanese people playing?

Depends on if they are allowed to play or not.  From the first post of this thread you'll see that they're going to find out and let us know if they can.

EnFuego

Yay. I would commentate and play!

How is the scoring system going to be used?? The ladder point system or point systems we had in the past.

sidenote: Is "Blink is the gandhi of tetris tournaments!!" a good TF status??

Someone2knoe

Quote from: XaeL
actually s2k thats good commentating.

I'm really good at commentating, i make stuff thats boring seem really exciting
So yeah i'm up for commentating.

Lol my point was that was the only thing they seemed to go crazy about when there are tons of things they could scream but didn't. LIKE OMG WTF 10 COMBOs!?!

briannn

Paul676

"with all the biggest names all participating"

You'll wanna remove one of the alls, then it'll sound more professional
               Tetris Belts!

DAS44

I might be in for commentating if no one else's around :>

I ain't playing though.

Paul676

What about asking ttc to provide commentators? That way they can show they know what they're doing.
               Tetris Belts!

solo2001

Quote from: Someone2knoe
This is great, I can't wait!
For you ppl who hate tf, this proves we can create change!

LOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!! Do you do anything on here EXCEPT Hate on TF!?

But yeah, i'm really excited!!
[15:40] DAS44: trolliest thread ever was solo's

clincher

Quote from: Paul676
What about asking ttc to provide commentators? That way they can show they know what they're doing.
Haha.
It's all about the love

Someone2knoe

Quote from: solo2001
LOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!! Do you do anything on here EXCEPT Hate on TF!?

But yeah, i'm really excited!!

Of course I hate on tf, But if they are willing to change then we should support this because it means that we can push to change the gameplay and make it good. The only reason i hate tf is because of the horrible gameplay.

Quote from: Paul676
That way they can show they know what they're doing.

They don't. But we do. So lets stick with us being commentators.

Paul676

s2k - I refer you back to the hangame screening - if they can make that happen, then they can get some commentators who know what they're talking about. And they're likely to have better "excitement skills"/"people skills" than amateur commentators. Not that ours are bad, I just think that TTC can provide some good ones.
               Tetris Belts!

chopin

Cool. This sounds great! I'm in to support regardless.

Is the ladder system really the best way to do this? Doesn't it seem like too much work to attract a large audience? Maybe we can just randomly seed contestants or use a system that doesn't require too much pre-work.

Paul676

I'd actually agree with Chopin on this - as well as the reasons he provided, the ladder system rewards people who only play people worse than them, and doesn't reward those who are of a high standard but play people of higher standard all the time. It also rewards too much people who will play loads and loads of matches, rather than finding the "best 16 players."

Why not an open signup, and then a random seeding for a double elim, with byes for those who happen to get lucky (since it's unlikely to be an exact multiple of 2.) Then each round lasts a specific amount of time. All matches not played within that time, both players are eliminated automatically and byes happen to those who would have played the winner. It's messy and brutal, but the only way of this type of thing working.

But it means those with less time on their hands can still have a reasonable hope of  succeeding.
               Tetris Belts!

massi4h

Yeah if you want more "randoms" which is always a good thing, it makes more sense to just run a standard bracket. Probably double elimination. Either run it over a weekend depending on competitors or run it over a month. Semi-casuals really don't have time/patience for a ladder imo.
☠ massi4h