Tournament with cash prize

Started by ohitsstef, September 14, 2010, 05:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohitsstef

I'm thinking of holding a Tetris tournament in North Texas sometime mid May 2011.

Plans so far

- Duration of the tournament: 1 day
- Venue: Shadow Lan located in the Dallas area
- Game: Nullpomino
Players will have to bring their own flashdrives with the game

Rules of the game
- Combos will be turned off. All spins accepted.
I don't know what the other settings are, but I'm sure someone can help me out on that. ^^
- In order to not drag the tournament out too long, the rounds will be best out of 3 until we get a top 8. Then best out of 10 for those players. Top 4 will be best out of 15. (Or other way around? I'm not quite sure yet.)

Prize
- There will be a cash prize for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. And for everyone else, the feeling of ultimate glory for participating. Yeah?

Anyways, if anyone's interested, or has any suggestions I'm all eyes.  

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

larrytetris

Unless the cash prize outweighs the costs of getting there and back from wherever, I think there isn't enough incentive to physically show up and compete when NetPlay is so convenient.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

ohitsstef

Quote from: larrytetris
Unless the cash prize outweighs the costs of getting there and back from wherever, I think there isn't enough incentive to physically show up and compete when NetPlay is so convenient.

I might open it up to online players who can't make it out
but for now I'm trying to keep it within the state of Texas.. so we can have a "best texas player" deal.. ya know? =P

this and it'd be nice to have more players know about multiplayer tetris around my area..
someone made a good point in the fb page that some casual players will become competitive because they want to win... hopefully i'll be able to convert some people hoho

I'll post fliers around some colleges and universities  ~

-more to come soon, i think =P

Maii04

Larry use common sense. Mostly texans will be going cause it's convinent for them.
Steph don't forget to take pics! Post them on HD!!

jemm_4

"Given the real thing and an indistinguishable fake, which is worth more"- Gaen Izuko (Nisemonogatari)
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."- Aristotle

Agamemnon

Make sure you plan a webcast of the event!

ohitsstef

@ aga, yeah i'm planning on webcasting it.. just have to figure out how i'm goin to do it now.. lols

doot doo doo.. hopefully we'll get more competitive players out of this, yeah?

Maii04

Quote from: ohitsstef
@ aga, yeah i'm planning on webcasting it.. just have to figure out how i'm goin to do it now.. lols

doot doo doo.. hopefully we'll get more competitive players out of this, yeah?

maybe on livestream? or tinychat? or idk..
i fail

Agamemnon

Quote from: ohitsstef
You'll probably need a few cameras (depending on how many people show up) and a live-stream or two of the matches. Should be easy enough to set up.

ohitsstef

whats a good webcam chat server deal?
i know of stickam.. but that one lags a bit

i'm not a fan of tinychat
maybe i'll do it on.. ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm x

MzSlowmo

does this count for people who visit texas too?

ohitsstef

If we don't have a lot of players joining, I'll open it to out of state players.
But I doubt anyone will come from out of Texas unless there are players in Oklahoma, Louisiana etc etc states neighboring TX and willing to drive here
hah

I'm currently in the process making fliers and coming up with plans

The matches will most likely be FIFA style, so it'll be random matchups.

larrytetris

Quote from: Maii04
Larry use common sense. Mostly texans will be going cause it's convinent for them.

I don't think you realize that Texas is quite a large state, could take a number of hours to drive across @__@
It has nothing to do with common sense.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

coolmaninsano

Am I eligible because my flight was delayed last month and I had to fly redeye to Dallas then from there to Chicago?
Not like I'll win or anything...

I don't think you realize that Texas is quite a large state, could take a number of hours to drive across @__@

I think it took my family and I three hours to drive west through the panhandle, not counting the stop at Cracker Barrel (<3) in Amarillo.

ohitsstef

lol, she doesn't realize a lot of things. =P
currently, i think the tournament will be local.. open to players over 16.

Quote from: coolmaninsano
Am I eligible because my flight was delayed last month and I had to fly redeye to Dallas then from there to Chicago?
Not like I'll win or anything...
I think it took my family and I three hours to drive west through the panhandle, not counting the stop at Cracker Barrel (<3) in Amarillo.

hmm well if you're in town at the time.. maybe =P