Expert HD Mode (Tetris Friends)

Started by Blink, August 01, 2010, 09:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod77

Quote from: ThePiper
Not all the elites would move to sonic drop. You're sacrificing control for speed. I'd rather have control. And if people stopped playing without sonic drop I'd probably just leave tf.

Well, that is why most games that have sonic drop also have a locking soft drop in them.

That way, you sacrifice neither.

However, TTC insists that hard drop be locking, and soft drop not be.

I agree that sometimes having soft drop can be very handy, and that not everyone wants to give up soft drop.  my preference would be locking soft drop, and non locking hard drop.  This allows higher speed ithout giving up control.

A non locking hard drop can be very quickly turned to a locking one on the keyboard anyway, if soft drop does lock.

The time savings from being able to drop Ts instantly for spinning afterwards is tremendous. That's why TTC WON'T do it.

TTC's vision is a game where fixing overhangs is discouraged, and you have to put up with slow soft drop speeds if you wish to t-spin,.  Sonic drop allows rapid fixing of overhangs.

Impact009

Remove the auto-handicap feature, and I'm happy.  It is the only thing that is keeping everybody from playing the same game.

coolmaninsano

How about another input key for sonic drop? And then map soft drop to something you'd never press and make your old soft drop key your sonic drop key.

Wojtek

Quote from: Impact009
Remove the auto-handicap feature, and I'm happy.  It is the only thing that is keeping everybody from playing the same game.
well, it's not only thing, but i'm with you.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
How about another input key for sonic drop? And then map soft drop to something you'd never press and make your old soft drop key your sonic drop key.
[/quote]
yeah, i like to have 3 drops actually, and then you can use what you like.
example of game with 3 drops (soft, hard, sonic) is http://www.cubestorm.com/ .
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

Noogy

Quote from: meow
Thus, there really is no reason why you should prefer a fast soft drop over sonic drop unless you're a combo scrub. j/k

[fumen]105@7ezDXIngBWoBKeBdbBsQBJQB6ZBvGBpTB+KBjEB67A?dCBs3AstAJyA+sAuwA7sb7sb7sb7xb7xb7xb72b72b72b77?b77b77b7Ac7Ac7Ac7Fc7Fc7Fc7Kc7Kc7Kc7Pc7Pc7Pc7Uc7?Uc7Uc7Zc7Zc7Zcbac76AAAA[/fumen]

this angers me greatly.

XaeL

Quote from: Paul676
When I showed my friends my 1:04 sprint record a year ago, they couldn't follow it. So in the end, whatever ttc's motives, no randomer would be able to follow a top level game
you gotta be kidding me. most humans can watch 5-6 tps no problems. Understanding the placements is another thing.

Because remember once a piece is placed it stays tehre for many frames (only disappearing on line clears)

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

zaphod77

Quote from: Noogy
[fumen]105@7ezDXIngBWoBKeBdbBsQBJQB6ZBvGBpTB+KBjEB67A?dCBs3AstAJyA+sAuwA7sb7sb7sb7xb7xb7xb72b72b72b77?b77b77b7Ac7Ac7Ac7Fc7Fc7Fc7Kc7Kc7Kc7Pc7Pc7Pc7Uc7?Uc7Uc7Zc7Zc7Zcbac76AAAA[/fumen]

this angers me greatly.

Hooray for contrived examples.

Next time, try making one that actually follows bag?

There are methods of stacking that really do require occasional soft drop use, I will admit, but that particular example can't happen on TF at least.

XaeL

locking soft drop and not locking hard drop? ....how retarded is that?

are you calling TGM retarded.........?

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Noogy

Quote from: XaeL
are you calling TGM retarded.........?

did you know TF is an SRS game.....?

SecretSalamander

did you know TF is an SRS game.....?

What difference does it make.....?

Boingloing

g u r l g a m e r

Noogy

that's like playing grade mania w/ standard zero;
why would you want to bring TGM things into TF and vice versa? the point is that they're completely different games

DAS44

zaphod77

hohoho you want to start something eh?
Nope, i just followed the example, and thought "wait a minute. this couldn't have happened".
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
for starters, i've never even made a 4 wide myself, that setup was taken right off of the 4-wide guide on this forum
[/quote]

I apologize for not knowing that example was cribbed from elsewhere.  Regardless, my point still stands. Hold second L, tap right twice, sonic drop, tap right once, lock, press hold, place second L.  NO game that has 4 wide a useful strategy doesn't have hold and at least 3 previews.

there are VERY RARE occasions where a soft drop is required to fix a setup. the majority of times people will need a soft drop is when they mess up their own stack.
[/quote]

I submit that even that latter case is fairly rare.

locking soft drop and not locking hard drop? ....how retarded is that?
[/quote]

Well, what you actually get is locking soft drop, non locking hard drop, and you also get locking hard drop by pressing up then down in very quick succession.  now IF diagonal movement is allowed, AND you need to slide a piece more than one square, then yes, a non locking soft drop will allow for greater speed, but that's a pretty rare case, and I don't think it is the case in Tetris Friends.

As for how retarded the idea is? Well, someone wrote an SRS based rotation system for Heboris C7EX. They called it SRS-X, and gave it sonic drop, and locking hard drop. Try it someday.

oh and, hooray for you being stupid
[/quote]

Hooray for personal attacks.  

It is possible to allow non locking soft drop, non locking hard drop, and locking hard drop, but that would require three keys, where the way tgm does it only requires 2.

Noogy

do you know how much crap id get if i went on TC and pushed for SRS on TGM? double standard