Tetris & Dr. Mario (SNES)

Started by iphys, July 26, 2010, 07:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua_Tolles

Quote from: Sisu
Is reaching 29-5 the holy grail of SNEStris?  

Hmmmm....Tricky question. Personally, I won't tackle BTM to 29-5 until after I max out SNES.  But if 29-5 is attainable, then yes, I think that would be harder to do than 999,999 in A-Type  
Joshua Luke Tolles: The 2013 World MIDWEST Tetris Champion of the World

benmullen

B mode on SNES... for some reason i never thought to try it.  Oh i remember why, i need to get the game genie thing to get to sufficiently challenging levels (what a poorly done aspect of the game when you think about it)

But right now, i gotta hunt down NESSY!

i think after the championships i will put some effort into b-mode snes, sounds like fun

Joshua_Tolles

Quote from: benmullen
B mode on SNES... for some reason i never thought to try it.  Oh i remember why, i need to get the game genie thing to get to sufficiently challenging levels (what a poorly done aspect of the game when you think about it)

But right now, i gotta hunt down NESSY!

i think after the championships i will put some effort into b-mode snes, sounds like fun

Uh, I think you missed the last few postings...

Just to recap, SNES has a "marathon" B-Type:

If you beat level 9-5, you are "rewarded" with an opportunity to play 10-5.

If you beat 10-5, you are rewarded with an opportunity to play 11-5.

If you beat 11-5, you get to play 12-5.

And so on, all the way to Level 29, which I assume would be unbeatable for a human being, thunder-god or otherwise.

And of course, you only get one chance to beat the secret levels, and failure means starting over back at 9-5, which makes getting to 29-5 incredibly intriguing and the supremest of supreme challenges.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]i need to get the game genie thing to get to sufficiently challenging levels[/quote]

If you think beating 19-5 ten times in a row is not sufficiently challenging, then your Tetris skills are seriously underrated  

The reality is that SNES has the most challenging/rewarding/interesting B-Type system in classic Tetris.  

BTW Ben, I *just* found out about this.    Made it all the way to 19-5 tonight  

I only got to play it once, but first impression is that it is similar difficulty to 18-4, meaning that beating it ten times in a row is definitely in the realm of possibility. I video recorded...maybe I should post it?

Sisu

Quote from: Joshua_Tolles
I video recorded...maybe I should post it?

benmullen

wait, so i can play a marathon b mode thing.  I'm totally doing this (after oct 6th)

Joshua_Tolles

Sisu

Historic.  

I was expecting a few twists though.  

Would these work?

[fumen]110@WeB3kbD3ibH3gbD3pbtki7eCtBdlhBAAAdeH3hbC3h?bB3sbvub7eCvDdHjBAAATeH3hbG3pbdDqbKzb7eCKDdCjBA?AATeH3obAAobIwrbcub7eCcDdUjBAAAVeH3CAkbB3CAjbRp?A3pb+qb7eC+/cmfBAAATeH3hbB3kbCAB3YikbBApbOub7eC?ODdGjBAAAVeH3CAkbB3BAlbA3Yipb6qb7eC6/cifBAAAJeE?3gbI3gbF3gbDAibIwA3ibAAtb5sb7eC58cBhBAAATeBAibA?3jbCAhbA3jbBAibA3tb9qb7eC9/clfBAgbTeH3hbB3kbCAA?30llbBApbNub7eCNDdFjBAAA[/fumen]

Are there more?

credit/blame: Integration

caffeine

Yes, all of those work because they are all natural rotations under NRS rules.

Joshua_Tolles

I have been deathly ill with fever for the last two days. When that happens, my mind goes to a strange place. In that place, I have visions. This is what I envisioned during my most recent fever:

I modded the SNES Tetris & Dr. Mario ROM to make Tetris look more like NES Tetris:

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/s720x720/542243_10200300735835848_530734203_n.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/s720x720/542243_10200300735835848_530734203_n.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Integration

You also changed the entry delay (period of time between the lockdown of one tetromino and the appearance of the next tetromino), didn't you? I would really like to see you playing level 29 with a shorter entry delay (but without changes to the gravity system).

Did you also stop the acceleration when the pieces spawn? I can't really tell from that video.

Have you ever tried to change the gravity of level 9 to that of level 29? You could train level 29 more efficiently this way.

Joshua_Tolles

Quote from: Integration
You also changed the entry delay (period of time between the lockdown of one tetromino and the appearance of the next tetromino), didn't you? I would really like to see you playing level 29 with a shorter entry delay (but without changes to the gravity system).

Did you also stop the acceleration when the pieces spawn? I can't really tell from that video.

Have you ever tried to change the gravity of level 9 to that of level 29? You could train level 29 more efficiently this way.

The only modification I made was to the graphics.  I did actually originally set out to try to adjust it to play more like NES, but it is a long and tedious process hacking SNES, and I am not up to the challenge right now.

I actually have a game genie code that allows me to start on Level 31, and I do use it for training  

Edit:
Updated ROM file

Sisu

Too bad versus can't be played online with SNES hardware.  

Oh wait.  

benmullen

Quote from: Sisu
Too bad versus can't be played online with SNES hardware.  

Oh wait.  

Whoa!!!!!!  ^

Sisu

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]It's very nice to see a community like harddrop.com to be interested in this project! To be honest, the whole project is probably in too early a stage of development. In its current stage, I think it won't be very useful to you guys, heh. :)

It's still a long way to go till the synchronization etc. would reach an acceptable level. Playing existing games online wasn't even the main goal when I started the project, but it was a good and quite easy to accomplish starting point.

We're working on it right now but I can't promise anything. I develop it completely in my (limited) spare time without any time frame. So, we'll see what the time brings. :)

Best Regards!
Michael Fitzmayer
www.mupfelofen.de

PS: Feel free to join us in #retrotardation on euIRC to keep posted (and/or help in development). :)[/quote]

nensondubois

'Hoy! I was sent a message from a member here known as sisu515U about my debug menu showcasing videos. Instead of explaining everything about the debug menus, here is a link the explains everything in great detail: http://tcrf.net/Tetris_%26_Dr._Mario)

Least you can fix the clunky horizontal movement speed issues!