Tetris Friends "Arena Mode" Now Live

Started by Blink, February 05, 2010, 12:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgif

I wasn't expecting much from the beginning. So I'm not disappointed

m__

i like the changes in ranking..
not sure why people aren complaining about points.. I'm getting 100+ per game.
when you level up you're back at 500.  go up to 1000 and you level up, drop down to 0 and you level down.
looks like a ladder to me.

all in all I think tf live is improving..

.. and I'm not an SRS player, therefore I'm not really a fan of TTC so much.

ZeroT

Quote from: m__
i like the changes in ranking..
not sure why people aren complaining about points.. I'm getting 100+ per game.
when you level up you're back at 500.  go up to 1000 and you level up, drop down to 0 and you level down.
looks like a ladder to me.

all in all I think tf live is improving..

.. and I'm not an SRS player, therefore I'm not really a fan of TTC so much.
I dont know how you're 100+ a game. Whenever I win I get between 30 and 50 pts and when I lose I lose 60+ pts every time! Its taking forever to rank up.

-------
More recently I won 3 out of 4 games against a guy 1 rank bellow me I got 22 pts each for the wins and lost 80! in the one loss. That's a net Loss!
☠ ZeroT

caffeine

Quote from: ZeroT
More recently I won 3 out of 4 games against a guy 1 rank bellow me I got 22 pts each for the wins and lost 80! in the one loss. That's a net Loss!

I think they must be using Elo rating system then, which would be good news. With Elo, depending on the difference in points between two people, you're expected to win a percentage of games against that player. Apparently, your rating difference estimated you were good enough to beat him more than 75% of the time, but because either he was better than his rating or you were worse than your rating, it decreased your rating and increased his to become more accurate. If it is in fact Elo, wait a couple weeks for everyone's rating to balance out and reflect their real skill and you won't see these perplexities as often.

Edit: wait, so you won exactly 22 points every game? In that case, they may be using Tetris Party's fixed-system, which would be awful.

ZeroT

Quote from: caffeinewait, so you won exactly 22 points every game? In that case, they may be using Tetris Party's fixed-system, which would be awful.
No, it was just around that 20-23 ...and I know it'll probably level out eventually, its just frustrating right now : )
☠ ZeroT

iphys

I like that it's letting us use our mino options now though.  I don't know if they fixed anything else last night, but it seems to be freezing less on me now.

m__

Quote from: ZeroT
I dont know how you're 100+ a game. Whenever I win I get between 30 and 50 pts and when I lose I lose 60+ pts every time! Its taking forever to rank up.

-------

by beating people higher ranked then me.  The most I've gained is 140 and the most I've lost is 85
you will gain more if you play higher rated people.  if you lose to a lower ranked player you'll lose a lot of points.   This makes it so you can't pick on newbs to rank up (as it should be)  as caffeine mentioned it takes the difference in rating between players into consideration.

Quote from: iphys
I like that it's letting us use our mino options now though.  I don't know if they fixed anything else last night, but it seems to be freezing less on me now.

I only had one freeze and that was in my first match.

jennr246

@ magnanimous and anyone else who types in the Das/ar link

you must capitalize the letter L in live or it will redirect you to tetrisonline.com

easier to just add it to fav's and save your settings....
☠ Jennr246

Beastin_Shen

i dont mind the rating system, i mind that refreshing the page still makes it so you can cheat your rank and not lose the rating you deserved to lose.

i see it as a minor but good update, enjoy the customization but would like to see more basic features that arent included such as stats.
<div style="overflow: hidden; background-image: url(http://harddrop.com/design/pic/badges/bg_black.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 285px; height: 80px;position:relative;"><span style="width:60px;height:80px;float:left;overflow: hidden;margin-top:10px;margin-left:10px;"><a href="http://hard

zemus

Quote from: Beastin_Shen
i dont mind the rating system, i mind that refreshing the page still makes it so you can cheat your rank and not lose the rating you deserved to lose.

i see it as a minor but good update, enjoy the customization but would like to see more basic features that arent included such as stats.

so true shen, I will leave when in 5th or 6th place because i don't the 2 minute it normally takes for the game to finish, but i don't like people leaving to cheat. i think people leaving should definitely still get points deducted. i actually think if you leave early it should consider it a last place finish and you should lose the most possible. really hope they implement that soon.
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million, but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."-Schwarzenegger

jujube

i imagine there will be a lot of private rooms, like you see at TOJ 1v1, so a random lv1 player can't jump in and pull everybody's level down with a single win.

Quote from: zemus
so true shen, I will leave when in 5th or 6th place because i don't the 2 minute it normally takes for the game to finish, but i don't like people leaving to cheat. i think people leaving should definitely still get points deducted. i actually think if you leave early it should consider it a last place finish and you should lose the most possible. really hope they implement that soon.
definitely. that's the only way to go. well, they should get the lowest possible spot at the time they left. if there are 4 remaining in a 6 player game and someone quits, the quitter should get 4th and lose the points they should against the 3 remaining, and gain points against the 2 that were already dead imo.

RMAC

Quote from: zemus

ohhh so thats why people kept leaving and reentering.... thats ridiculous. That makes me angry now. lol This needs to be fixed

meow

no ones pointed out the 'newcomer' feature yet? everyone starts out as a newcomer until they've played around 20-30 games. you can tell if you're still new by a small green triangle pointing upwards.

newcomers earn more points than normal. it's not zero sum, so if you lose against a new person, less points will be lost than what they gain. it's not perfect but it does cushion the impact on the ratings if a strong player has just started out.

i'd give it a few weeks before expecting any activity in the gold/platinum rooms. it takes time for the ratings to be added, 500+ whenever anyone levels up. i'm not sure what happens if you delevel.

massi4h

I just got up to silver. Are you saying you're on platinum already meow? I bet holdnext is, with his party item games.
☠ massi4h

meow

nah i'm still silver. i don't play much cause tf pisses me off