The Four And A Half Year Challenge: BEATING BLINK

Started by solo2001, October 23, 2009, 09:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think that I can do it?

"Yes, I BELIEVE IN YOU FORD!"
32 (28.1%)
"Nope"
61 (53.5%)
"Perhaps, considering your personal score vs. the allotted period of time its plausible that... wait! no, there's no way."
21 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 115

solo2001

Quote from: iphys
I think you should start maintaining a graph of your best sprint time vs time so we can see how steadily you're improving.
well, that's been the dream since I started. One of these days i'll contact TF to see if i can get a list of all my previous records, which would help alot in graphing to see if this really is possible.

Honestly, i think mine would be a little more promising than this one... [!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i46.tinypic.com/jg5xyf.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i46.tinypic.com/jg5xyf.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

P.S. that graph is fundamentally wrong! My effort is ALWAYS at the top!
[15:40] DAS44: trolliest thread ever was solo's

Boingloing

effort in the graph should be swapped with elapsed time since starting the challenge.

g u r l g a m e r

tempfelix

Darn, youre within five seconds of me now.  Considering youve already improved five seconds since the challenge started, im a little worried.  Blink might just lose this challenge!

solo2001

Quote from: Boingloing
effort in the graph should be swapped with elapsed time since starting the challenge.
The effort wouldn't even be in the graph since its not really measurable.   Not to mention it doesn't even make sense on their graph, because they're saying I put no effort into in at the beginning  .

It would just be time cut down on the X axis versus the overall time on the Y axis. Whoever did the graph just wants me to fail.

P.S. MERRY CHRISTMAS

solo2001

Alright people, its the end of the month so lets crunch some numbers!!!

53.6 (ME) - 37.24 (BLINK) = 16.38 seconds to cut overall = 1.37 a month

November: 53.6 - 50.28 = 3.32 seconds = 13.06 seconds to go!

December: 50.28 - 48.78 = 1.5 seconds = 11.56 seconds to go!

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i45.tinypic.com/29gd6s0.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i45.tinypic.com/29gd6s0.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Have an excellent 2010,
meaningless milestones FTW!

meow

Quote from: solo2001
The effort wouldn't even be in the graph since its not really measurable.   Not to mention it doesn't even make sense on their graph, because they're saying I put no effort into in at the beginning  .

It would just be time cut down on the X axis versus the overall time on the Y axis. Whoever did the graph just wants me to fail.

P.S. MERRY CHRISTMAS

boingloing just stated how it was measurable and you say its not... elapsed time.

Divemaster

While I'm sure everyone hopes the best for you, all the effort in the world might not be enough to cut it.

It's great that you have the drive to improve, and have set the bar high for yourself. There is no doubt in my mind that at the end of this you will be a better player all around. If that means you are faster than Blink, great.

Unfortunately, things are rarely so clean cut though.

Effort is only a small bit of the equation. Do speedy players like Blink and Maserati pour effort into their game-play? Of course. But to think that they are so fast only because of effort and commitment is short-sighted at best. Blink and Maserati are fast because they are FAST. Someone could dedicate their entire life to trying to get a faster time and not beat the time of someone who has been playing for two months.

It's nothing groundbreaking. People are different, and good at different things. Good luck with your challenge - I really mean it - but I wouldn't get too caught up in the physical elements of it if I were you.

solo2001

Quote from: Divemaster
While I'm sure everyone hopes the best for you, all the effort in the world might not be enough to cut it.
LOL, I couldn't disagree more.
I don't believe people are born with any inherent skill, especially at something as arbitrary as tetris sprint!
I should probably also add that i've been playing for a fraction of the time that blink and mase have. If I dedicated the next five years of my life to sprint, then I would be, as you said "fast because they are FAST."

Check out this video, it gets my point across in the first 30 seconds or so.

(fun fact, he also wrote a book called "Blink")

clincher

It's all about the love

solo2001

Quote from: clincher
Why TF?!
It's annoying.
yeah, but its convenient.

100th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ftw  

Divemaster

Quote from: solo2001
LOL, I couldn't disagree more.
I don't believe people are born with any inherent skill, especially at something as arbitrary as tetris sprint!
I should probably also add that i've been playing for a fraction of the time that blink and mase have. If I dedicated the next five years of my life to sprint, then I would be, as you said "fast because they are FAST."

Granted. I don't know that people are born with inherent skill either. It's also very true that Blink has been playing much longer than you.

What I'm trying to say though: There is a reason that "records" exist. You can be incredibly fast, and someone else will still be faster. I'm not trying to doubt you, because maybe you are the next "fastest guy". What I'm also saying, though, is that even if you aren't the next "fastest guy", I still wish you luck in your challenge and hope the best for you.

TomatoKirby

Almost broke 20 minutes on TF Sprint today.  Just ten seconds off...

Well, I wish more good luck to you!

YukiIjuin

I myself finally managed to frequently hit below 75 seconds in Sprint, hurrah! XD

Yes, TF is convenient. I was at a Netcafe the other day, BlockBox couldn't load, neither could I wait for TOJ to finish downloading, so I loaded up TF. :3

XaeL

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

MaceFx

48.78. I looked.
Records

40 Lines: 35-something (I got it on a school laptop)
Dig Challenge: 75
Dig Race 5 Lines: 1:70