Leaderboard Is Up

Started by Blink, September 03, 2009, 10:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mzhang

Quote from: Blink
the leaderboard is up!! the account button is going to be replaced by the Records button, and account will be moved to the main page inside that box with Teams, Blogs, Photo Gallery.  

http://www.harddrop.com/records

TGM style records are manually sorted, all others are fine.

Anyone found to be submitting false records will be banned.

THE SORTING IS STILL MESSED UP FOR SOME GAME MODES RIGHT NOW** WILL BE FIXING IT TOMORROW

lol can you delete a sumbission? i accidentally submitted a record in the wrong format. sorry!

GoldPlatedDish

Yay, thank you  
Now everyone can see how bad I am

mzhang

well nvm, thank you. it was fixed.

Blink

keep in mind this leaderboard is still in beta and has issues, yes I am aware of the sorting problems.

I noticed that the sorting issues are occuring in the time fields, with colons, so maybe we can fix it by tomorrow.

iphys

Looks good so far.

If we want to update a record is it possible to resubmit the same record and have it overwrite the old record or will it end up being listed twice?

Blink

Quote from: iphys
Looks good so far.

If we want to update a record is it possible to resubmit the same record and have it overwrite the old record or will it end up being listed twice?

yeah, just submit a new record and it will replace the old record

meow

would like to see a description field where submitters can post a short comment about their record

Blink

Quote from: meow
would like to see a description field where submitters can post a short comment about their record

In the future we may add this, but for now need to fix the sorting issues with time records.  You can add comments by writing them on your images for now, or if it's a very short comment you can rename your image file to "the comment.jpg".

Also noticed a problem with some files not being able to upload, will look into it.  If you are getting the "cannot upload file" error, rename your file and see if that works.

Blink

it turns out that mysql sorting has a big problem with anything that has non numeric characters in them, in this case the colons for time records.  If you look closely, you'll see it only sorts the 2 digits before the colon.  we might have to manually sort them with the TGM records if we can't find a solution.  this means that the scores that are being automatically sorted is all the ones which are only numbers.

Or we can have timed records in this format, which would be auto sorted, but I don't know if you guys want that:

since sorting only works correclty with one decimal maximum:

MMSSms
MMSS.ms
MM.SSms

are some possible choices, any one else have ideas?

If not, I think it'll have to manual sort.

iphys

Of those, MM.SSms makes the most sense I think.

Edit: or we could do everything is seconds, so 00:20:20 is 20.20 and 01:01:01 is 61.01

Blink

True, time in seconds would probably be the least confusing out of all the possible autosort formats.  It has a downfall of having to multiply by 60 for records which have alot of minutes, but for now I will use your solution so that everything works properly.  thank you iphys

jujube

when submitting a record, can't there be separate fields for minutes, seconds, hundredths, and the records could be sorted by minutes first, then seconds, then hundredths? then couldn't you display the fields however you wanted? like %minutes% ":" %seconds% "." %hundredths%

Blink

Quote from: jujube
when submitting a record, can't there be separate fields for minutes, seconds, hundredths, and the records could be sorted by minutes first, then seconds, then hundredths? then couldn't you display the fields however you wanted? like %minutes% ":" %seconds% "." %hundredths%

it's possible to do technically , but we dont know how because it's very difficult to program, especially with mysql and php.  Also since there's so many different record input types, each time you change the game mode it would have to increase the amount of textbox fields to input on the webpage.  There would have to be seperate databases for different score formats since the input format for each differs (currently all records are put into the same database, because they're just number values).  If we did it that way, you wouldnt be able to mix it all together in the same database.  That along with the sorting of a primary field, then a secondary by minutes, and then 3rd by hundredths is too complex at this point.  If every single game had the same scoring format, it would be easier to do, but our problem is that the leaderboard is covering a big variety of games and score formats.

Worst case scenario: I leave Time inputs with the colons in them and turn on manual sorting for them (which I may do for the records with multiple minutes (bb survival, etc)

This seconds scoring is sort of a workaround, but the good news is that everything should be sorting correctly now (except TGM records which are manually sorted).

meow

Quote from: Blink
In the future we may add this, but for now need to fix the sorting issues with time records.  You can add comments by writing them on your images for now, or if it's a very short comment you can rename your image file to "the comment.jpg".

Also noticed a problem with some files not being able to upload, will look into it.  If you are getting the "cannot upload file" error, rename your file and see if that works.

had the problem with the file not being uploaded. fixed by lower casing all the letters in the extension (mspaint saves PNG in caps)

kitty

oh nice. actually doing someting jt
kitty