Mental Tetris

Started by Magnanimous, August 13, 2009, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnanimous

Has anyone ever tried playing Tetris without any screen interaction...?  

Use whatever randomizer you like to make a list of blocks, then try to play a game with them in your head.  It's hard to keep track of everything(I can usually get about eight pieces in before I give up), but Mental mode is still pretty entertaining if you're bored.
Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

BigAl95

Haha, I actually do this all the time. I can clear a few lines but then I give up because I forgot what setup I had.

SpawN

This is a pretty good mental exercise. More than anything, it trains your imagination and memory.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

nismo

It's a bit easier if you're playing SnS mode    Can't say I ever play 'mental tetris' but I've suffered from the tetris effect on occasion.

Anonymous

I do this all the time in class. Although it gets difficult when I try to use hold
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

hurtchow

Hahaha I do this often. Its almost like dreaming... Out nowhere, I'll just imagine a T-spin or something. I think its good for creativity.

Sometimes I'd decide what pieces would come next, but I prefer to just let one random shape come to my head at a time.

It kinda reminds me of songwriting and all that other creative junk we do. I love tetris!
Tetris DS Friend Code: 485942 003301
My Music: http://www.myspace.com/bettergangway

oliv

Magnanimous

Quote from: oliv
You can't make a true randomizer in your head. It will always be biased.
That's why I use a random number generator. If you're bored, you could also just start a game in Blockbox or something and write down the piece order.
Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

jujube

i sort of play tetris in my head, but the randomizer is probably biased, and i keep going even if i don't remember the stack shape. this usually only happens right after i play a lot of multiplayer, and it only lasts about 15 minutes.

nguboy

I always win my Theory Mental Tetris games.

I_AM_SAND

i sometimes play mental MULTIPLAYER tetris in class.

azn_papirus

dayum, i thought it was only me,
but ye, i always end up getting bored, so i jus top out,
What a cloudy day!
No ees not ._.

Ando

hehe i thought i was teh only one too, an "obsession" but i get bored after a while too, then i have to focus on what i'm doing
Current Goal: GET KNOWN BY EVERYONE ON HERE

Tetris DS: 162047 665731

Lancet

I remember doing this in class when I was in high school and the literature teacher took my handheld away. Poor little thing had a problem within its circuits, causing sound to come back randomly after I muted it, and apparently this was "disturbing the lesson". It was a cheap one and lasted 11 years! I got 2 of them quickly afterwards, so I will never be without Tetris, anywhere.
I lose track after a while, though.

stingray666

i own at mental tetris :)  its annoying sometimes i cant get it out of my head. as though its a mental problem. especially if im pinging..:S