The Anime/Manga Thread

Started by Rosti_LFC, July 19, 2009, 02:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pikiwedia

@Rosti: Elfen Lied not that good? Yet you rated it 8/10 on your list ;O
[div align=\\\"center\\\"][/div]

Rosti_LFC

Yeah, but I also rated a ton of other stuff 8, 9 and 10 - the fact it's in my top 99 doesn't mean a huge deal

Plus I watched it ages ago, and I've not rewatched it since, so I'm not sure how well that rating holds (it could probably go up or down). It was like one of the first series I ever watched, along with GitS, Higurashi, Lucky Star and FMA.

Like I said, it's not a bad series, and I wouldn't suggest not bothering to watch it ever. It's just that I'd list quite a few other series that you should watch first.

For example, it's not on this: http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/ro..._recommends.jpg

KeroKai

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Mushishi[/quote]

This is one of my favourite series. Some of the storylines were just so moving, especially that one episode about the girl who had fallen off the bridge. That one made me get all teary-eyed along with it's music.

If people like that I'd recommend some other anime that is sort of like that style.

Kino no Tabi.
- Female traveller with her companion motorbike travels around different towns to learn about their unique traditions. Offers some really light philosophical questions, which can of course be taken deeper if you wish to do so.

Kaiba
- A world where the mind and body are two seperate things. The rich are capable of purchasing the bodies of the poor. One random fellow wakes up with no memories however, and goes in search of finding out who he is. It's abit of a weird show though, since the animation isn't exactly usual for a modern anime.

Ghost Hunt
- This was a fun series. Basically a team of supernatural investigators seeking to remove spirits and all that. You kind of learn about all the ghost stories that asian people believe in. Asian vampires (Manuks and Bouguns) etc.

Natsume Yuujinchou - There are two seasons.
- Kind of like Mushishi but instead boy who goes around giving back the names of demon spirits, his great grandmother collected. Each demon spirit has a story of it's own, and on his way he makes friends with various creatures etc. It's got more of a long-term storyline though.

As you can see... my favourites tend to fall more towards one sort of theme.
I liked stuff like Kaiji very much. Psychological/Philosophical/Supernatural/Fantasy based thrillers are my favourite genre. Though I like stuff like One Piece as well. ^^

Naruto and Bleach were good!
But yeah... it got abit long and I got lazy >.<

I'm glad Noein is on that list
That show is absolutely fantastic. It caters to my Sci-Fi side just perfectly.

On a completely different note: Gah. Why honey and clover x_x
I just found it boring?

Imperatore_Magia

Of the anime series I've watched over the past decade, the only ones that I would recommend to others would be Texhnolyze, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, NANA and Monster.
Escaflowne, Trigun, Last Exile, Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei are pretty decent also.
Nighthead Genesis and the five Slayers seasons are guilty pleasures...

Anything where any of the following people are involved in production is also often worth seeing;
Yoshitoshi Abe
Makoto Shinkai
Hayao Miyazaki
Isao Takahata
Satoshi Kon

As far as manga is concerned, seinen or anything with serious themes, dramatic plot and characters.
Things by Kaori Yuki, Naoki Urasawa, Ai Yazawa, Mitsukazu Mihara are among my preferred.
For a shonen title Fullmetal Alchemist is fairly engaging, well-paced and such.

Currently reading Oldboy, MPD Psycho, 20th Century Boys and Akira.

Rosti_LFC

I quite liked Natsume, but I think if I wasn't watching it with the anime society at Uni I would have taken a really long time to finish it, because it has the same sort of slow, episodic nature that Mushishi has. A friend of mine used to watch it fairly late at night just before he went to bed, and he said it was a pretty good series for that because it was quite slow and soothing.

I'd back Kaiba too, though I think you need to persevere through the first couple of episodes (which are a bit batshit) to see the quality in it.

I'd also add Dennou Coil and pretty much all the Ghibli films for light-hearted magical/supernatural series.

For stuff that's a bit more thrilling and action-packed, but still along a similar line then Kara no Kyoukai is a fantastic series, as are Baccano! and Durarara!!

xxKay

I'm not an avid watcher, and I don't read, but here are a list I watched. I do say they're pretty good.

Baka to Test, Fairy Tail, Black Rock Shooter, Bakemonogatari, To aru Kagaku no Railgun. Pretty much all I can remember now.

virulent

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

Caithness

Oh man, Suite Precure features my favorite voice actress. And right after Heartcatch which had my favorite character designer. Looks like I'm going to be sticking with the franchise for another year at least.

xxKay

Quote from: Caithness
Oh man, Suite Precure features my favorite voice actress. And right after Heartcatch which had my favorite character designer. Looks like I'm going to be sticking with the franchise for another year at least.
I got sick of Precure after the first one.

Caithness

All the following ones are better than the first one. Well, except maybe Fresh.

BARNCHAK

I have started watching animes recently and i am quite impressed by the intellectuality of the shows  that I am currently watching...

Heres what i'm watching

[attachmentid=214]

This anime called Gosick is based on the mystery genre where the main character is a sherlock holmes type character

[attachmentid=215]

This anime is called The World God Only Knows .This also has an air of mystery / suspense to it  but its not really a detective show...

If you guys can recommend me some more  quality animes which belong to the mystery/detective genre, I'd be more than happy to watch them ..

Caithness

You'd probably enjoy Monster, and perhaps also Mushishi. Those are the two that I always recommend when people ask, and they even sort of fit the category you wanted, too.

BARNCHAK

Quote from: Caithness
You'd probably enjoy Monster, and perhaps also Mushishi. Those are the two that I always recommend when people ask, and they even sort of fit the category you wanted, too.

Thanks Caithness... I just read the synopsis and some reviews of Monster and Mushishi and seems like they are going to be really interesting to watch ...specially monster ...the murder mystery element in it was exactly what i was looking for

ohitsstef

this is a really cute and short anime
LMFAO

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Sisu

[attachmentid=353]

Yes, the rumors are true. The original five pilots of Voltron Force recently reunited to save the universe yet again. 25 years was not too long to wait.  

銀は死んでいる. Long live Sven!
Voltron, G.O.A.T.