HOME WORLD FORUMS WIKI VIDEOS
9580 members and stacking!
     Welcome guest, please login or sign up

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My (brief) experience with the Razor Blackwidow (with Orange Switches)…, In short: DONT BUY!
M_Bison
post Oct 29 2014, 08:56 AM
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

I decided to buy a new keyboard today and thought I may as well get a Razor Blackwidow with Orange mechanical switches to see what all the fuss is about. As soon as I tested it I immediately noticed the smooth responsiveness of the keyboard…not to mention its sheer speed! However shortly after testing it a noticed myself doing quite a number of missdrops (well, more than usual anyways!)…due to misfires/jamming… At first I thought it must be because I wasn’t used to the keyboard but sure enough the misfiring/jamming continued. I can only assume this is due to the limited amount of keystrokes the keyboard can handle (10 rollover) rather than mechanical failure (but I am no tech wiz, so don’t quote me on that). My current keyboard (http://img.gfx.no/847/847656/Qpad_MK-80_full.jpg) which has N-rollover has NEVER had this problem – and it’s just a ‘cheap’ rebranded/repackaged keyboard!

Can’t express my disappointment enough with this product…all I can recommend is to stay WELL clear of it Sick.png I would also strongly suggest anyone looking into mechanical keyboards to ALWAYS check for a N-rollover feature or at least a ‘respectable’ rollover count.

Thankfully I was able to get a full-refund (the guys at the shop where surprisingly sympathetic). On that note, my next keyboard will be something with a standard layout, N-rollover and Red Cherry MX switches. Not taking any chances this time around Angry.png

- Jono

--------------------
Fear and respect... the supreme energy that is Psycho Power!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ZeroT
post Oct 29 2014, 12:29 PM
Post #2

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

Well, I got mine five minutes ago. So, to be determined then.

--------------------
☠ ZeroT
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
caffeine
post Oct 29 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

Wow, that sucks! You really ought to return it.

Had mine a couple months and no problems so far.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Master
post Oct 29 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

oh.. Frown.png , You can give it to me of you want .. Hot.png Naughty.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
FieryLight
post Oct 29 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

It's because you went with Razer. I bought one razer peripheral and never again. Support hung up on my after they asked for my name -.-.

Similar stories can be found around online. On top of that, most Razer products break very quickly (but sometimes they last ages), it's quite risky if you go with Razer products.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M_Bison
post Oct 29 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #6

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(ZeroT @ Oct 29 2014, 11:29 PM) *

Well, I got mine five minutes ago. So, to be determined then.

I REALLY hope you held onto your recipt Gasp.png

QUOTE(caffeine @ Oct 30 2014, 12:10 AM) *

Wow, that sucks! You really ought to return it.

Had mine a couple months and no problems so far.

Product was returned as stated (see bottom paragraph of my first post)

Strange you have had no problems with yours...I dont know what to say? Maybe I mash the keys too much when I play Undecided.png

QUOTE(FieryLight @ Oct 30 2014, 06:31 AM) *

It's because you went with Razer. I bought one razer peripheral and never again. Support hung up on my after they asked for my name -.-.

Similar stories can be found around online. On top of that, most Razer products break very quickly (but sometimes they last ages), it's quite risky if you go with Razer products.

Its funny you should say this as a number of my 'hardcore' gaming mates have nothing but bad things to say about Razer. All I can say is I took a risk I will NEVER be taking again... VeryAngry.png

- Jono

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Kitaru
post Oct 30 2014, 02:10 AM
Post #7

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(M_Bison @ Oct 29 2014, 01:56 AM) *
I can only assume this is due to the limited amount of keystrokes the keyboard can handle (10 rollover) rather than mechanical failure (but I am no tech wiz, so don’t quote me on that).
I feel like it shouldn't be that. You only use 5~8 inputs for Tetris, isn't it? Left, right, hard drop, soft drop, rotate CCW, rotate CW, Hold, maybe another rotation key (like an alternate or 180), and rarely all at once. Unless you're accidentally hitting surrounding keys or they're misfiring of their own accord (which would be a much more grave concern, with or without NKRO), it seems like that shouldn't incur any blockage of input.

My weapon of choice for quite some time was an old Apple USB keyboard with a matrix that would support ~6 concurrent inputs max. (I believe it was 3 arrows + ZXC, which was perfect for TGM/TAP. It also never posed an issue for games where I added Space for Hold.) Even if you are trilling across 2~3 arrows and rotations all at the same time, it seems like you wouldn't come close to broaching a 10 key rollover.

--------------------
My Backloggery
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blink
post Oct 30 2014, 02:32 AM
Post #8

Tetris God
Group Icon

I've heard good things about Razer's green switches. If you're going for a different mechanical keyboard try that, or I can recommend Steelseries brand I still have one going for about 6 years without issues.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M_Bison
post Oct 30 2014, 02:56 AM
Post #9

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kitaru @ Oct 30 2014, 01:10 PM) *
I feel like it shouldn't be that. You only use 5~8 inputs for Tetris, isn't it? Left, right, hard drop, soft drop, rotate CCW, rotate CW, Hold, maybe another rotation key (like an alternate or 180), and rarely all at once. Unless you're accidentally hitting surrounding keys or they're misfiring of their own accord (which would be a much more grave concern, with or without NKRO), it seems like that shouldn't incur any blockage of input.

I agree it 'shouldn't' be that, but thats what it appeared to be... Its virtually impossible for me to hit 'surrounding' keys with my 'movements' and 'harddrops' as I use arrow keys for these actions...so there is no surrounding keys to hit (just empty spaces of plastic) Undecided.png Seeing as Nullpo can handle simultaneous inputs all inputs be should register regardless of what order they are imputed...rather than miss entirely...

QUOTE(Blink @ Oct 30 2014, 01:32 PM) *

I've heard good things about Razer's green switches. If you're going for a different mechanical keyboard try that, or I can recommend Steelseries brand I still have one going for about 6 years without issues.

You must understand Blink that I am not complaining about the switches in the least (in fact, I praised them earlier)...my concerns and complaints lay within the overall responsiveness and key rollover...its doesnt matter what switches are used...if these types of problems are present than the keyboard will misfire regardless (when pushed to its 'limits').

Do you know the rollover limit for your Steel Series?

- Jono

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blink
post Oct 30 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #10

Tetris God
Group Icon

QUOTE(M_Bison @ Oct 29 2014, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Blink @ Oct 30 2014, 01:32 PM) *

You must understand Blink that I am not complaining about the switches in the least (in fact, I praised them earlier)...my concerns and complaints lay within the overall responsiveness and key rollover...its doesnt matter what switches are used...if these types of problems are present than the keyboard will misfire regardless (when pushed to its 'limits').

Do you know the rollover limit for your Steel Series?

- Jono

On my Steelseries 7G in PS/2, I think there is no rollover limit??

We absolutely recommend using the PS/2 connector when possible. First,it will give you total freedom with no limit to the amount of simultaneous key presses. And, equally as important, using the PS/2 may just improve your overall gaming experience.

http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/...#specifications

After many years with this keyboard, I really only have good things to say about it. I've used other mechanical keyboard brands but so far this is my favorite. I've never used a Thermaltake one but I heard those are great for the price as well.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Extruderx
post Oct 31 2014, 08:38 AM
Post #11

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

I should recommend you the Coolermaster Quickfire keyboards as well (black or red switches), I use the black keys and so far I had no problems at all (even though they do have 6-key rollover limit, I have never hit the cap, both on c2 or null), you might want the red ones for faster keypresses. These keyboards don't have the numpad though.
IPB Image

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M_Bison
post Oct 31 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #12

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Blink @ Oct 31 2014, 03:34 AM) *

On my Steelseries 7G in PS/2, I think there is no rollover limit??

We absolutely recommend using the PS/2 connector when possible. First,it will give you total freedom with no limit to the amount of simultaneous key presses. And, equally as important, using the PS/2 may just improve your overall gaming experience.

http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/...#specifications

After many years with this keyboard, I really only have good things to say about it. I've used other mechanical keyboard brands but so far this is my favorite. I've never used a Thermaltake one but I heard those are great for the price as well.

Thanks for clarifying Blink Thumbs Up.png

Ah, good old PS2 connections...truly a superlative choice when it comes to connecting keyboards Heart.png Sadly, my laptop doesn't support PS2 style connections Angry.png Though I have actually considered investing in tower with PS2 sockets for this very reason alone.

If I recall correctly my current keyboard cant do N-rollover (only 8 rollover) without being connected via PS2 (-I actually think this is the case with many keyboards that support an N-rollover feature).

QUOTE(Extruderx @ Oct 31 2014, 07:38 PM) *

I should recommend you the Coolermaster Quickfire keyboards as well (black or red switches), I use the black keys and so far I had no problems at all (even though they do have 6-key rollover limit, I have never hit the cap, both on c2 or null), you might want the red ones for faster keypresses. These keyboards don't have the numpad though.
IPB Image

Whilst that keyboard does look and sound quite nice I really do prefer 'full-sized' keyboards with a numeric keypad.

I have actually already made my mind up for my next keyboard...CM Storm with Red Cherry MX swtiches and a rollover of 64 - and thats via USB!!! Better safe the sorry I say Naughty.png

- Jono

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
officegunner
post Nov 1 2014, 10:01 AM
Post #13

420 BLAZE IT
Group Icon

My DASKeyboard has N-key rollover via usb... :o

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M_Bison
post Nov 1 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #14

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(officegunner @ Nov 1 2014, 09:01 PM) *

SICK Heart.png Was not aware that DAS Keyboards had N-rollover via USB Gasp.png

Very cool indeed Thumbs Up.png

- Jono

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ManOfMiracles
post Nov 1 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #15

gusta los hombres
Group Icon

QUOTE(M_Bison @ Nov 1 2014, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(officegunner @ Nov 1 2014, 09:01 PM) *

SICK Heart.png Was not aware that DAS Keyboards had N-rollover via USB Gasp.png

Very cool indeed Thumbs Up.png

- Jono

My Cooler Master Quickfire TK also has n-key rollover via usb, as well. A couple of CM keyboards have it, too.

edit-didn't read thread before posting

The full sized CM Storm keyboard you are getting was a consideration of mine, but I have limited real estate on my desk Frown.png

--------------------
MiracleMan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2014 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.