11 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Keyboard Thread
M_Bison
post Oct 2 2014, 01:10 AM
Post #136

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Im using a combination of brown and blue switches at the moment. I found browns to be much better than blues for directional movements, but I am going to change to reds for directional movements soon and see how they compare Hot.png

- Jono

--------------------
Fear and respect... the supreme energy that is Psycho Power!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
farter
post Oct 9 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #137

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

beside the keyboard, i think frame rate makes more sense...
"for fast gameplay, 60 is far too few, neither is 120... the das is too inaccurate"
(from some monsters using ~50ms das)

before reaching dat speed, keyboard's doesn't seem to be so important imo.

(3000fps game engine wip (i've played xael's 40l, nice but lack of multi-rotation-system support))

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nostalgianinja
post Oct 13 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #138

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(ohitsstef @ Oct 1 2014, 07:22 PM) *

QUOTE(nostalgianinja @ Oct 1 2014, 06:39 AM) *

I'm considering going for brown switches for trying to improve my typing and Tetris speeds. Would it be a good choice? Thinking of getting a CM-Storm Quick Fire Ultimate (my local retailer sells them in white backlight) and I'll probably be keeping my settings for Nullpomino

My das keyboard has brown switches and imo it's really nice.
When I first started playing on it, I had to work my way back to my old settings so it might take awhile to adjust.

So my retailer didn't have the brown switches of time of purchase. I got myself a blue switch of the same keyboard (CM-Storm QuickFire Ultimate). is it still good for Tetris? Only thing I know different from brown and blue switches is that it has the click and bump style.

--------------------
Seeking improvement on Tetris, but taking it one mino at a time.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
caffeine
post Oct 13 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #139

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

Red/black is usually preferred because they are linear, but I've heard some raving reviews over brown/blue. Remember to follow your dreams.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
PolarisTR
post Oct 14 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #140

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

Reds are just crazy for tetris (if you're fast). The first time I used reds I went from 39-36 seconds sprint. If you like typing though, do NOT get these as you will typo every other word because the key actuation point is so low, I cannot remember if these are loud or not.

Browns are my favourite. Quite a bit harder to play tetris (literally) after using reds but you can type and after a few sessions you get back into the swing of things, these are also quite and you probably won't wake a neighbor or sleeping parent.

Blues are a tiny bit harder (5 grams I believe) than the browns so you tend not to notice, but they are MUCH louder (I woke my dad up many times in the night whilst training back in the day).

All in all I recommend the reds for Tetris, purely because my 26 sprint record is with them and I can remember just how amazingly fast they are to use.

These are the only colors I've used so far, I hope this gives people a general idea.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nostalgianinja
post Oct 23 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #141

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Okay, so my keyboard arrived today. I set the polling rate to 1ms and put the rollover rate to nkro. I found a significant difference playing with the QuickFire Ultimate. Score may not be at the best, but this is the fastest marathon time I've done with Nullpomino. I also felt a significant difference since shifting over to this keyboard.

Attached Image

Man, it also feels brilliant to type on this keyboard. The blue switch still makes it feel satisfying as ever. I guess once you go mechanical you never go back?

--------------------
Seeking improvement on Tetris, but taking it one mino at a time.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Kinac
post Nov 30 2014, 02:09 PM
Post #142

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

So I have a choice of 2 keyboards. A laptop keyboard and a really cheap rubber dome. Which should I use for Tetris?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ZeroT
post Nov 30 2014, 09:26 PM
Post #143

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

The keyboard on my bigger laptop isn't actually that bad, in fact ive sub27d once with it. However, the keyboard on my chromebook is the worst I've ever used! Depends on the quality of your rubber dome and your laptop. When I first started playing, I had a terrible wireless rubber dome, and Id take my laptop keyboard over that any day.

--------------------
☠ ZeroT
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blink
post Dec 24 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #144

Tetris God
Group Icon

Anyone have experience with Topre switches? How would you describe their feel?
I'm looking at:
http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products...s/novatouchtkl/
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
myndzi
post Dec 25 2015, 12:22 AM
Post #145

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

I talked a bunch on the shoutbox, but I'll summarize here:

Comfortable, accurate tactile feedback. Confident typing.

Topre switches actually have a (good quality) rubber dome with a spring beneath it, so the "buckling" feeling of a regular rubber dome keyboard is similar to how the tactile feedback feels -- but Topre uses capacative keyswitches so that the point of activation is at the point where the rubber buckles, not where the bottom of the dome touches the bottom of the surface below it. The spring itself is also not part of actuation, as in the model m ("clicky") keyboard -- it's just there to soften the landing. I find it makes the keypress feel heavier than, say, Cherry browns, but it's actually equal or lighter on the pinky and ring finger columns.

Topre is my absolute favorite for typing, but I still tend to pull out my Filco for Tetris. I still could heartily recommend Topre as a brand to just about anybody, and I guess you'd just have to try it to see if you like it better or worse than Cherry for games.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Fruitspunchsamurai
post Jan 10 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #146

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(simonlc @ Mar 22 2014, 12:33 AM) *

Poker on IBM Model M (also Model M2 peaking in the corner lol)
IPB Image

Blue label model m Gasp.png asdsdafagd... jelly

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blink
post Jan 10 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #147

Tetris God
Group Icon

Okay it's done it's done:

IPB Image

Novatouch TKL with Topre switches.
Silence mod: http://imgur.com/gallery/iGzCV
Vortex Doubleshot PBT Keycaps

Overall about $250 and 4 hours of labor - so let me show it off!

I love how it feels, my new favorite keyboard. I've been using Cherry MX for the past 5 years and I really enjoy typing and gaming on these, especially with how quiet they are.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Danieru
post Feb 15 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #148

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

Toshiba Satellite L50.
IPB Image

--------------------
Just an Irish tetris player.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
poopmo
post Mar 29 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #149

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

IPB Image

Upgraded from my old corsair k60 with red switches to this ducky shine 3 with black switches. Really liking it so far! The keycaps seem to have some kind of coating on them which feels a lot nicer than the glossy plastic they used on my old corsair. Also digging the black switches. After 3 years of using red switches they still felt a little too light for my taste: they're good for gaming, but require a lot of restraint while typing, especially if you don't like bottoming out. The black switches feel more solid and are more comfortable to type on. The keyboard also has adjustable DAS and repeat rate on the F keys which works really well in cultris since you can set your DAS somewhere between 4.5 and 5, but it does make the pieces stutter a little in TF when you softdrop. Would definitely recommend: it's relatively cheap for a mechanical keyboard but feels very high quality (it also comes with an extra, more understated spacebar.) Thumbs Up.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jkwon23
post Aug 23 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #150

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

$9.99 amazonbasics keyboard
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-KU-0833...d/dp/B005EOWBHC

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2014 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.