Unnamed "new, cross-platform Tetris game"?

Started by ZaptorZap, July 30, 2024, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZaptorZap

It's been a good 3 years since Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 released. Before that, Tetris Effect was released in 2018, but honestly, it's hard to imagine what could be better than that one. Earlier in May this year, TTC reportedly claimed that there was in fact going to be a new huge Tetris® release.....tangibly soon.
Quote from: The Pop InsiderThe Tetris Co. teamed up with an unnamed "leading game developer" to create a new, cross-platform Tetris game that the company touts as "truly special."
It's a little worrying how that quote is already in past tense, as if they already did release something for the 40th anniversaryevent. I was hoping it'd be announced with Block Party, and I suppose that tournament hasn't ended yet, but now that we're a week and a ½ in, it doesn't seem like the kind of event that'd have that announcement anyways. Surely if it was such a large game company there'd be some sort of leak by now? Any thoughts? Maybe this announcement was just for https://tetris.com/tetris-e60/...
Expertise in TETR.IO Administration. Ask me about Linux/Debian problems!
######    @@++++++  ++++++@@
    ##    @@  ++    ++    @@
@@@@@@    @@####    ####@@@@
@@        @@  ##    ##
########      ##    ##

The42UR3Genes

QuoteMaybe this announcement was just for https://tetris.com/tetris-e60/

Personally though I don't think that new game could be https://tetris.com/tetris-e60/ because that game is just playable on one platform: the browser. Heck, that game is only playable on PC on top of that.

If anything I found the Minecraft Tetris DLC closer to the "new, cross-platform Tetris game" that TTC is talking about because Minecraft is actually a cross platform game and it actually puts new, interesting twists in both Minecraft and Tetris they can be considered a brand new game.
I just play Tetris to keep my brain healthy. lol

ZaptorZap

You actually can't play it on mobile?? That's insane, I honestly didn't even bother to check. Just feels like a given that you should.

I was actually wondering what the heck is up with the Minecraft DLC...Microsoft seriously made TWO of them, unique entities in their own right on the Minecraft Marketplace. Do they even interact with each other?? This whole release strategy doesn't make sense to me, I noticed immediately that this was "old news", because I already recognized "Minecraft Tetris" as something that released 2 months ago...
    ##    @@  ++    ++    @@
@@        @@  ##    ##
########      ##    ##

simonlc

So this was likely Tetris Forever? I don't think they'll be making another game any time soon.

ZaptorZap

I suppose that does fit the ticket, but when anyone touts cross-platform I'm expecting online multiplayer. The Steam tags say it only has local/split-screen, but the release does cover every modern game console out there. Maybe we'll have to see what comes up when it releases. I'm also expecting a bit more when it says "new", but what can I say? I'm sour when it comes to classic Tetris.
Quote from: Steam StorepageUp to four players will "warp" between different eras of Tetris in real time to experience a variety of classic graphic styles and play mechanics!
Nintendo didn't call NES Remix a brand new game >:)
    ##    @@  ++    ++    @@
@@        @@  ##    ##
########      ##    ##

Blink

Caught that too, both the Steam and PS online store are tagged with "Remote Play" supported, and no mentions of online multiplayer.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10012314

Pretty sure this is the game that was referenced by the "Cross-platform" quote in the article.  Disappointing because it mainly just packages up many of the classics into one, with one new local multiplayer mode.

Hoping to see a new official multiplayer game within the next year, but tbh it's not looking likely.