are people on arena generally pussies?

Started by cobr_Evolution, June 01, 2017, 05:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobr_Evolution

brash statement, yes, but i don't know any other way to put it.

i generally stay away from arena because i hate single KOs and i hate targeting. this second point is what drove me to make this post.

see, i don't t spin. never have, never learned, never cared; i personally think i can play better just going off combos and such and t spinning when the opportunity presents itself. i've done modified 4 wides that end in a t spin double after an 11 or 12, for instance.

but apparently, if you aren't actively t spinning, you're the devil. on multiple occasions i've had people call me out for it - "look, a comboer," "get the 4w," "comboing is gay," etc. why is it looked down upon to play the game at a speedy, relentless level? i can't even enjoy arena anymore because i have to get a cramp from getting something started ASAP or i know everyone will send to me and knock me out in 7 seconds so they can play by themselves.

basically, why the hate for comboing?

XaeL

Quote from: cobr_Evolution

i generally stay away from arena because i hate single KOs and i hate targeting. this second point is what drove me to make this post.

see, i don't t spin. never have, never learned, never cared; i personally think i can play better just going off combos and such and t spinning when the opportunity presents itself. i've done modified 4 wides that end in a t spin double after an 11 or 12, for instance.

but apparently, if you aren't actively t spinning, you're the devil. on multiple occasions i've had people call me out for it - "look, a comboer," "get the 4w," "comboing is gay," etc. why is it looked down upon to play the game at a speedy, relentless level? i can't even enjoy arena anymore because i have to get a cramp from getting something started ASAP or i know everyone will send to me and knock me out in 7 seconds so they can play by themselves.

combo starts are easier to execute than t-spinning and have a way higher payoff. That's why they are disliked.

Before combos existed, there was the T-spin vs Tetris tradeoff.

T-spin:
+More garbage for less pieces
- way harder to think about and stack for than Tetrises
- softdrop was slow, so you had to compensate

Tetris:
- Less garbage, more pieces
+ easier to stack.

Now lets add in combo:

Combo:
+++++ More garbage than T-spin or Tetris
+++: Easier to stack than both Tspin and Tetris

Basically, the way combo starts work marks it as the obvious dominant strategy.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

iljain

so sad   only people in arena are real people , live action game.  other players you see in other modes aren't realtime.

i got accused of using 4 wide quite a lot too.  most people who oppose to it think : it's too common, too easy to use, less mind-thinking, and OP (OVERPOWERED) , and  MOST
likely the way to counter it is almost the same way > pc or 4wide back. or just play very high apm b2b tetris/tspin

well on the other side, i hate multiple kos to end a game. 5 ko's or something like that.  because there are many circumstances you get 1 or 2 ko's... your garbage remain in your field, sort of boring like that.

you don't have to enter a targeting game. you can play 1 on 1 . it's the best game mode, world tournaments play 1 on 1

Gamsterdeath

Since I am a person who generally hates combos, and a person who saw what the others had to say I kind of agree. Combos are much easier to execute and I have no problem with people who combo as long as they are good at the other stuff also, BUT if all the person does is combos every game I have a problem. Personally I used to combo and I don't really care anymore since I just combo back, but thats my reason for hating it from a person who actually hates it.

noonuus

my view on it:
I think 4W in FFA rooms is a dick move because it's just luck if you receive garbage early  or not to prevent you from upstack it real high, and then someone instantly dies when you combo down and he can't do anything to prevent it (except target you early)...
so the only thing they can do it target, otherwise they might just die no matter what else they do. so yeah you have to deal with that in FFA

in 1v1 it's fine tho, all your fault if you die to it.