How to get faster?

Started by Danieru, December 18, 2016, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danieru

Hello, I haven't posted on here for awhile but I am hoping to spark some answers with this burning question of mine that is, how do I go about to increase my speed - PPS (other than the usual "practice more") are there any ways like techniques that I can use to do so?

Right now for my keybinds I use arrow keys (for rotations) and T for hard drop and so on, does not using space bar for hard drop and using other keys instead limit my speed?

I have grown so used to using this style, but recently these past few months I have been switching to the default keybinds you see on TF as an example. I managed to get around 33-35sec sprint times with bad finesse but would go back to my usual keybinds the following day.

Thanks,

Danieru.
Just an Irish tetris player.

jackh1771

I was stuck for like 6 months around 33 and then I started playing with hidden current piece in nullpo because I saw caffeine talking about it. Here is Integrations mod with the option to hide current piece:
http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5949

I had already gotten down finesse but I just played 40 lines and tried to get within 5 seconds of my normal time before I went for a normal PB that day. Now my hidden time is within 2 seconds of my normal time - 27.6 and 29.6

I pretty much only play hidden piece sprint because I think it's good practice to look at my queue and know how to put down each piece without seeing it. It can be frustrating but keep at it. Also I switched from default tf controls to Blink's controls in September 2015 after looking at the keyboard bindings thread for a bit

Danieru

Quote from: jackh1771
I was stuck for like 6 months around 33 and then I started playing with hidden current piece in nullpo because I saw caffeine talking about it. Here is Integrations mod with the option to hide current piece:
http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5949

I had already gotten down finesse but I just played 40 lines and tried to get within 5 seconds of my normal time before I went for a normal PB that day. Now my hidden time is within 2 seconds of my normal time - 27.6 and 29.6

I pretty much only play hidden piece sprint because I think it's good practice to look at my queue and know how to put down each piece without seeing it. It can be frustrating but keep at it. Also I switched from default tf controls to Blink's controls in September 2015 after looking at the keyboard bindings thread for a bit

Hi, thanks for replying to the thread. I will definitely take your points into consideration, thank you jackh1771!
Just an Irish tetris player.

Kinac

Might be a bit stupid of me to say, but playing more is probably the most efficient method of gaining speed (don't overdo it, though). Any other gimmicky way of improving is just inferior than simply playing more. And use the keybinds you are most comfortable with. (And yes, I did notice you saying "other than the usual "practice more"")

iljain

lol explosive...33-35sec is nice on tf

maybe you should use add block and minimal tetris extensions for chrome.

or maybe try to use iron browser, it doesn't lag on tf but computer fan runs hard on it

Destiny

Which fingers do you use? Me using my thumb for harddrop was a horrible idea so I changed my key bindings to eliminate the usage of my thumb and pinky. I ended up taking a hiatus cause changing my fingering after 4 years is insanely hard for me T_T

Slushie-The-Husky

Quote from: Destiny
Which fingers do you use? Me using my thumb for harddrop was a horrible idea so I changed my key bindings to eliminate the usage of my thumb and pinky. I ended up taking a hiatus cause changing my fingering after 4 years is insanely hard for me T_T

How does one use Thumb and Pinky???

I use Just three Fingers. My Right arm using arrow keys and My Left arm using thumb for Hard Drop.