Anyone play Tetrinet? I created a similar Android game, "Block Wars"

Started by sjb933, January 06, 2013, 08:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjb933

Hello everyone,

I've created a game that may interest this community.  "Block Wars" is a multiplayer Tetris-style game inspired by the popular PC game Tetrinet.

This game is meant to be played competitively over Wifi, or against the AI.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...droid.BlockWars

Check it out -- all feedback is highly appreciated! There is MUCH more to come.    

Best,
Shane

apm10

It's not free? Can't try it then. Looks really promising though.

caffeine

Thanks, sjb933. This is kind of interesting so far.

Quote from: sjb933
Feedback appreciated!

Some ideas:

myndzi

There's a reason new posters are moderated. Sneaking around the edges by pseudo-thread necromancy is bad netiquette.

In general, new games and posts about them are welcome - but you're walking a thin line between announcement and spam if you're pushing a paid app on your first post.

IceClaw247

Looks awesome dude will download it ASAP and give you feedback!  

Just tested it, it's great I love the power ups and the multiplayer option. The only thing I would suggest is a hold and hard drop; I think it would really speed it up and get some real competitive action going  

FieryLight

Quote from: IceClaw247

Just tested it, it's great I love the power ups and the multiplayer option. The only thing I would suggest is a hold and hard drop; I think it would really speed it up and get some real competitive action going  

"Fling down" to harddrop.  I assume that means swipe down on the screen.

sjb933

Quote from: myndzi
There's a reason new posters are moderated. Sneaking around the edges by pseudo-thread necromancy is bad netiquette.

In general, new games and posts about them are welcome - but you're walking a thin line between announcement and spam if you're pushing a paid app on your first post.

I was worried about that, but I assure you I'm a real person (and a fan of Tetris games)    

Just had no reason to even look for this forum until trying to get the word out.  Still though, active feedback is great, and I think it's a game everyone can have fun with!

For what it's worth, in order to grow a new user-base, i would have offered a free version at first, moving to paid later, but the Play store doesn't allow that for some reason.  Once you're free, you're always free.

Quote from: IceClaw247

Sweet, love to see the excitement!

The hard drop option is there, though I think I need to add tooltips or something to make that more apparent.  Basically, you can "fling down" which is a quick swipe down gesture anywhere on the screen to get your hard drop on.    

In practice, I usually do this without moving my hands from the button controls at all.  I just swipe down near the buttons.  It makes for an easy (and sensible) motion to fling the piece to the bottom.

Quote from: FieryLight
"Fling down" to harddrop.  I assume that means swipe down on the screen.

Correct!  It's a factor of speed really, so as long as you swipe/fling quick enough, it'll hard drop the piece.

Quote from: apm10
It's not free? Can't try it then. Looks really promising though.

I do wish there was a way I could gift the app.  Unfortunately the Play store is not very friendly towards such things right now (seems like a no-brainer to me.. not sure why they've not done this yet).

Edit:  That being said I've also just put it up on the Amazon app store too (pending approval).  I may have more capabilities there, and if so I'll gladly gift you a copy  (hey, it's only 99 cents!).

Quote from: caffeine
Thanks, sjb933. This is kind of interesting so far.
Some ideas:

Thanks for the feedback!  Regarding muting the music, that's already there.  Notice the translucent speaker in the top right of the screen.  That's a  background music toggle.

Autorepeat:  I like this!  I'll add this to my list of things to implement.

Rotation System:  Looks like i'll have to read up on this some -- but this may affect things at the very lowest levels of my application, so not too sure.  Can you put into lamens terms what you dislike about the current spawn/rotation system and how you'd prefer it to behave?

Thanks!

myndzi

I was worried about that, but I assure you I'm a real person (and a fan of Tetris games)    

Just had no reason to even look for this forum until trying to get the word out.  Still though, active feedback is great, and I think it's a game everyone can have fun with!

No worries, I get it.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
For what it's worth, in order to grow a new user-base, i would have offered a free version at first, moving to paid later, but the Play store doesn't allow that for some reason.  Once you're free, you're always free.
[/quote]

I do see lots of apps with a demo and paid version, you might check it out if you want to do that.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
Rotation System:  Looks like i'll have to read up on this some -- but this may affect things at the very lowest levels of my application, so not too sure.  Can you put into lamens terms what you dislike about the current spawn/rotation system and how you'd prefer it to behave?
[/quote]

There's pretty much a standard that players are used to. Horizontal spawn, flat side down, nudge to the left, four-state rotation on S, Z, and I. The wiki has diagrams.

If you decide to implement kicks, there are simple kicks (kick away from the wall) and more complicated ones (full SRS kicks), either of which would be preferable to something new.

There are plenty of people here who can help you with the technical details, myself included; if you wanna talk in detail hit me up on Skype

FieryLight

Thanks!

It helps with speed and it's what we're more familiar with.  A good example is the S/Z pieces.  If I were to slide one all the way to the left first and then rotate left, the piece will be touching the wall.  If I were to slide one all the way to the left and then rotate RIGHT then the piece would be 1 gap away from the wall.  And seeing as this is a fast paced game, things like this matter a lot, imo.