does any one know a good tetris game?

Started by RaminBerner2012, May 08, 2012, 01:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaminBerner2012

coolmaninsano

Barneey

Hey, I usually link people to these two comments by Kitaru and Wojtek about the differences of the tetris games.
I'll just paste it in here, I'm sure they wont mind.

Looks like they didn't mention TetrisFriends.
I personally would recommend that one the most, especially if you're just starting out.

Kitaru:
Are you specifically looking for a website where you can play with some browser plug-in, or are downloadable clients alright as well?
Cultris II is available as both a stand-alone client and in-browser Java applet. It has adjustable speed settings, piece colors, and initial orientations in the options menu.
A couple years ago I would have also suggested Blockbox on GamePoint, but it has sort of fallen on hard times as of late. For a while, the designer was in contact with the community and implemented a lot of nice features that weren't seen in any other online Tetris-style games at that time, official or otherwise. Unfortunately, I think everyone got shuffled onto other projects and a lot of stuff on Blockbox has broken in the meantime. Still, it has fully adjustable speed settings, choice of three different rotation systems, and even options such as how "diagonal" inputs (e.g., left+drop being blocked vs. dropping this piece and keeping momentum for the next one, etc.) should be handled.
If you're looking for downloadable clients, you could also try Tetris Online Poland as SoyFood suggested, or Nullpomino. TOP is a private server emulator of Tetris Online Japan's now-defunct Minna de Tetris, and all upgrades from the old cash shop are now available for free (and can even be swapped for better settings than were available in the original game). However, it is Windows-only unless you run it in a VM or something of the sort.
If you need something cross-platform, Nullpomino is another Java game and is wildly configurable if you want to get into the nitty gritty details of making your own rotation rule. If not, it still has fully adjustable speed settings from the Tuning options menu.

Wojtek:
That's very exhaustive list. I believe all those games are well made and worth to try. Here is my list of pros and cons for each one.

Nullpomino
(+) very versatile (lot of modes and settings)
(+) defacto standard for any serious competition
(-) not very easy to use

Tetris Online Poland
(+) cute graphics
(+) userfriendly
(-) Windows only

Cultris 2
(+) modern graphics
(+) userfriendly
(-) gameplay is very different from modern tetris standard (tetris guideline)

Blockbox
(+) few unique features (for example 2players co-op mode)
(-) barely anybody online nowadays