Multiplayer Tips by Blink

Started by Blink, June 27, 2009, 02:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

Reading a strategy guide won’t make you a strong player, but the fact that you’re reading this means you want to improve, and that’s pretty much all you need to one day be a great player – that desire. Multiplayer strategy varies from game to game, there is no multiplayer strategy guide that will make you successful at every Tetris game because you have to take a lot of factors into consideration such as : is it 1v1 or FFA? Is garbage added to all? Is there garbage countering?  Is hold piece in this game? Is there combos/b2b/t-spins, how random is the garbage? and etc…

What I can give you are some tips to help you along the way and maximize your potential.

1. Use all the weapons the game gives you, if there's hold piece, learn to use it efficiently as it is a huge advantage.  If there's more than 1 piece preview, practice planning ahead.  If there's combos/t-spins, start using them more so you can more easily recognize them in the future.  Turn any weaknesses into strengths.  A slower player with more all-around skill will defeat the player who relies too much on his speed.

2. Frequently glance at the other players fields to see your current status in the match.  This will help you plan your next move.  If you're behind start digging.  Many players don't do this and miss opportunities to finish off their opponent, or stack up when their opponent is about to spike them to death with alot of garbage.

3. Don't get nervous when playing tournament or league matches, nerves will make you second guess yourself and be off your game.  It's easy to just say "don't get nervous", but this can only be fixed through experience and playing alot of high pressure situation matches.

4. Don't panic if you misdrop, everyone misdrops.  Play through it and fix it, this will help you deal with it quicker during future similar misdrops.  Determine the situation and how severe your misdrop is.  If the other player is near death when you make a severe misdrop, see if you can just stack over it and finish them off anyway.  No matter what, don't give up or your misdrop fixing skills will never improve.

5. Don't get discouraged when you lose, instead think about why you lost and work on that.  If you're just way slower, make sure you are balancing the load between both hands evenly and using both rotates if they are available.

Corrosive

Short & sweet and all true.
"私は高速ブロックとセクシーな女性が好き"
"Put some stank on those blocks."

jujube

nice guide. i especially like point number 4. even the worst misdrop is not that hard to fix. after you have experience in all kinds of situations, you'll just know what to do.

it's also important not to give up when your stack gets pushed near the top of the screen. usually when that happens, the other player has sent all the garbage they can for the time being, and you can use that chance to recover and mount an attack of your own, even when things seem hopeless.

DraKKiE

i've just increased my ppm and apm by 30% reading this guide
Xbox Live: dj stanz
AOL Instant Messenger: djstanny

Blink

Quote from: drakkie
i've just increased my ppm and apm by 30% reading this guide

lol freakin drakkie, dirty liar

Corrosive

Quote from: jujube
nice guide. i especially like point number 4. even the worst misdrop is not that hard to fix. after you have experience in all kinds of situations, you'll just know what to do.

it's also important not to give up when your stack gets pushed near the top of the screen. usually when that happens, the other player has sent all the garbage they can for the time being, and you can use that chance to recover and mount an attack of your own, even when things seem hopeless.

excellent
"私は高速ブロックとセクシーな女性が好き"
"Put some stank on those blocks."

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: Blink
4. Don't panic if you misdrop, everyone misdrops.  Play through it and fix it, this will help you deal with it quicker during future similar misdrops.  Determine the situation and how severe your misdrop is.  If the other player is near death when you make a severe misdrop, see if you can just stack over it and finish them off anyway.  No matter what, don't give up or your misdrop fixing skills will never improve.

I find a good technique to practice this is to just drop pieces at random until you've filled almost the entire well, and then try and drill back down through it. Standard drilling modes help, but having a single hole in each line isn't quite the same ballpark as having an absolute mess of a field.

DumbledorsArmy

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
I find a good technique to practice this is to just drop pieces at random until you've filled almost the entire well, and then try and drill back down through it. Standard drilling modes help, but having a single hole in each line isn't quite the same ballpark as having an absolute mess of a field.

I use to do this for hours on end when I first started playing. I think it does help a lot with gameplay.

Barneey

Found this through Pauls "Most useful topic and threads" thread, thought it was worthy of a bump even though it's been a while since it was written.

Perplexity

I too found this through "Most useful topic and threads" thread by Paul676.

Quote from: Rosti_LFC

Sounds a lot of fun haha, I shall try that out
<div style="overflow: hidden; background-image: url(http://harddrop.com/design/pic/badges/bg_black.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 285px; height: 85px;position:relative;"><span style="width:60px;height:85px;float:left;overflow: hidden;margin-top:10px;margin-left:10px;"><a href="http://hard

myndzi

Quote from: Barneey
Found this through Pauls "Most useful topic and threads" thread, thought it was worthy of a bump even though it's been a while since it was written.

Bumps are for active threads and new content. Thread necromancy will just clutter things up, please don't do it unless you have something to add to the topic that for some reason must be posted there instead of in a new thread...

Shizi

... this is the guide you were talking about? really?

Blink

Quote from: Shizi
... this is the guide you were talking about? really?

No fool, look at the date! This is something I typed up in like 5 minutes 2 years ago.  The other guide I'm working on is an actual guide!  I want to put video commentary with myself talking about things and put pictures in it.  I don't know when it'll be done though, probably never.  It's currently probably 5% complete.