What stops new players from being involved?

Started by joeybeans, January 01, 2012, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarioThePhenom

i for one was one of those pple who were shy to get involved into the community, and i think everyone here has nailed it on why, but what i think most new players should do is start talking on the shout box, or like i did, ask for advice on set-ups and best openers

ultimatley, i think a new HD memeber has to want to get into the community, were not gonna go run around and find you

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

Paradox

you can use maps on nullpomino also. I used to do it .
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

NoManual

I like seeing new people coming here and didn't expect to much of a friendly attitude when I joined HD 1.5 years ago. It's a bummer if people are to affraid to join harddrop.

But I like helping new players out, but I must say it's a bit annoying to get the same questions about nullpomino setup over and over again. But that's not a big deal tho

We must keep people coming here, not scare them away! Tetris is an amazing game, and it would be great to have all the Gods, great people and not so great people on the same page!
40L = 28.71
My Blog

Alexsweden

Quote from: NoManual
But I like helping new players out, but I must say it's a bit annoying to get the same questions about nullpomino setup over and over again. But that's not a big deal tho
I made a video about it but I guess people dont really know about it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKGVKBrjbe8...mp;feature=plcp
Too bad there is a slight audio issue - but I guess it will still bring the point home

Ravendarksky

I think there is one fundamental Issue... It's not fun for experience players to play beginners and it's not fun for beginners to play experienced players.

I hope I can be excluded from the unhelpful abusive crowd... I try and be as helpful and responsive as possible.

ohitsstef

i actually find HD to be pretty welcoming...

there will always be some that will make snide comments here and there.. but for the most part the players who don't participate chose not to.. and the ones that do (and are new) become part of this family, no?

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Anonymous

It's a huge problem when people introduce themselves, and they're always like "Hey guys, i'm blah. Other miscellaneous stuff. I have 1:11 in sprint (I know my time sucks)".

Everyone already comes in with the mindset that they suck, and that they're completely different and will never be like us, when the reality is, they are just us 1-2 years ago.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

StS

I would like to point out that several new members have recently (i.e. within the last couple of months) subbed 60; I myself subbed last of the 4 that I know of. There is a not-quite-so-pro(-yet) community building up at HD, and we are having a fun time getting more involved in this world of competitive tetris.
Sandal that Stinks

Current 40L (Nullpo): 35.32s

ManOfMiracles

Quote from: Anonymous
It's a huge problem when people introduce themselves, and they're always like "Hey guys, i'm blah. Other miscellaneous stuff. I have 1:11 in sprint (I know my time sucks)".

Everyone already comes in with the mindset that they suck, and that they're completely different and will never be like us, when the reality is, they are just us 1-2 years ago.
I remember when I was new at HD I never really posted anything.

I only started to post after I was somewhat good. Like sub 50 and whatnot.
MiracleMan

salami_pastrami

Quote from: Anonymous

that's encouraging

Greenhouse

I think its the fact that you have to be somewhat dedicated to improve in playing.
Many people told me to go to blockbox or nullpomino or whatever and play 40 lines forever until I got good at it.
I didn't really find any fun in doing that. Just playing for hours didn't do the trick either. I'm too stubborn to change my entire playing style, but I constantly got owned by doing so. There was no one at my level either, players were either much better or much worse than me.

XaeL

Quote from: Greenhouse
I think its the fact that you have to be somewhat dedicated to improve in playing.
Problem is with new players not community. /thread.

alternative response to thread:
me. /thread.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

bigwig

Quote from: XaeL
Problem is with new players not community. /thread.

alternative response to thread:
me. /thread.
In all seriousness, I agree.

alternative:
I double agree.

belzebub

I started playing Tetris almost a year ago and I played on Tetris Friends, because it was on Facebook and it was all over the place. With the watching option I saw rank 20 players like Giant_Douche and Chopin doing incredible things and I wanted to learn those things too, so I quickly found harddrop. I think the community is awesome and i felt no problem to start discussing and blending in. The best guide for beginners for me was Noogy's guide.

I think only a small percentage of the players are so dedicated to Tetris that they will study setups and go discussing about it.

I personally like NM, but the problem is for me:
  • the setup
  • there is almost never somebody on when i log in (i'm from Europe)
  • if somebody is on, he is way too pro to play against
  • the layout is old school
  • there is no real chat going on
It's java so I think I could easily make it an applet and make it available by just browsing to a website (so you won't have to download it and do a setup). Another good thing of TF is that it has this ranking system, you want to get higher in rank and you always play against people of the same rank. The ranking feature of NM seems okay for me to use.

Easy acces on a site, a good chatting opportunity and a good ranking system can be key enablers to attrack more players to the 'real' stuff. Idk what you think about it.