1 v 1 help

Started by VienVong, September 14, 2011, 06:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VienVong

Question:
You are playing someone who is about the same speed as you but plays a safer style (for instance more tetris heavy and simple tspin setups), how do you go about battling this person?

Paul676

2 Tactical Options

1. You do the same thing, or even just downstack really safely, and hope you make fewer mistakes.

2. Send more in large spikes.

Either of those 2 may or may not work.

Weakness of a safer style: Ability to top you out without any garbage to play with. They'll make a mistake usually, or be under more pressure really high up the field, with less room to play with, so spiking works. Otherwise, just play safely, and sometimes they will make a mistake before you do, or in trying to top you out (remember the weakness of the safer style) they will play a more risky move, and you can capitalise.
               Tetris Belts!

Agamemnon

Make his life hell by giving him nasty garbage - if you send a tetris or a tspin, it's 4 straight lines that you will get in return, but if you make it into shorter clears, it yields dirtier garbage, and you can try to do nasty garbage first, then spikes under that, and he will have to downstack through the bad stuff to get to what he can send back.

meow

caffeine

Quote from: meow
Play the best style.
Lol.

"Be like water, my friend."

So lame.

Paul676

small 7-ish combos are good for nasty garbage. Aga is right
               Tetris Belts!

meow

Quote from: caffeine
Lol.

"Be like water, my friend."

So lame.

Yea, lame if you don't get it.

caffeine

Yea, lame if you don't get it.
How am I supposed to "get" something that has no informational content in it?

meow

Quote from: caffeine
How am I supposed to "get" something that has no informational content in it?

Perhaps I should have stated play a 'better' style. I was trying to suggest to OP that the way he currently plays may not be as good as he thinks and is worse than the safe style.

caffeine

Perhaps I should have stated play a 'better' style. I was trying to suggest to OP that the way he currently plays may not be as good as he thinks and is worse than the safe style.
KK, that makes sense.

Paradox

Isn't the answer obvious? When all else fails then 4-wide.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]