Where do you keep your eyes?

Started by Magnanimous, December 26, 2010, 10:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnanimous

When you're playing Tetris, I mean.

I tend to memorize the first five-ish pieces in queue (when I'm playing Nullpomino, at least) during the intro, then in the first few seconds I'll be looking at the bottom row to focus on the opening. After that I slowly start looking up from the stack to better watch the previews, and I'll stay about 3-4 rows above the stack from then on.
Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

coolmaninsano

On the top of my stack, the ghost piece, and sometimes the next one.

Pikiwedia

Stack and piece-previews (2, or 3 at best) at the same time.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"][/div]

Paradox

I do the same thing for all games including keyblox. I look at the next pieces before the game, then when the game starts I look at the surface of the entire stack. For multiplayer I often look below the surface so that I can downstack. I just keep track of where the holes are.

After the beginning of the game I never look at the next piece, I just see it in the corner of my eye. I have no idea how I register what it is in keyblox. I always thought that I relied on the drop shadow.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Paul676

Where I'm stacking - I don't know how, but the next pieces come by peripheral vision without me knowing, just subconscious
               Tetris Belts!

Shizi

on the field
like paul said, next pieces come by peripheral vision based on color

coolmaninsano

Quote from: Paul676
Where I'm stacking - I don't know how, but the next pieces come by peripheral vision without me knowing, just subconscious

Amen.

ManOfMiracles

I always look a two-thirds down the middle of my matrix if my field is less than 10 rows, but if it's over, then I look a third down. And I use the colors of everything around to know what my stack looks like and what my piece previews are. I occasionally look at opponents' fields if I'm feeling a bit pressured, if not, my view is always in my matrix.
MiracleMan

clincher

myndzi
GET IT GET IT
omfg I'm so clever
It's all about the love

XaeL

Quote from: clincher
myndzi
GET IT GET IT
omfg I'm so clever
????????
you mean "mind's eye"?

My eyes do a weird flicker thing where i alternat really quick between previews and stack.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Profane

If i have the ghost on then i tend to look about 2 lines above my field.  My peripheral vision sometimes lets me see two pieces and when i see two i actually look directly at my previews to see the third,  if my stack is clean and i can look at the previews till i need to downstack.  If i take the ghost off it makes it easier for me to focus on my previews.  I actually watch my previews like i normally would my field when the ghost is on.  

I asked Maserati this question once and he said he looks directly at the previews when he plays 40 lines.  It was funny though cause he said he never really thought about it until i asked him.

NoManual

Quote from: coolmaninsano
On the top of my stack, the ghost piece, and sometimes the next one.

Aaron summed it up pretty well
40L = 28.71
My Blog