Why the hell are Asians so good at Tetris?

Started by Ryan, December 27, 2010, 07:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

sorry

Maii04

Ryan

i think it is there slender fingers.  It allows for rapid tapping.  Or maybe there extreme work effort of just playing countless hours of Tetris.  ;asjdj;asd;fjklafasj;dfjklasdfjklasf;;ajskldfjk

caffeine

There's a good chapter in the book Outliers about this kind of stuff. He talked about the difference between rice farming and wheat farming and how asian proverbs talk a lot about hard work. Interesting stuff.

GoldPlatedDish

Because they're hogging most versions of Tetris, namely Super Tetris 2/3 and TGM
/controversial

Paradox

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Shizi

lol wow homos deleting everything

asians play tetris because they are short and cant play sports kk?

coolmaninsano

Take the 40 Lines times of all the active Jewish members. It averages out to 38.385. Lower than the average of all the active Asian members, probably.

Ukrainian4Life

Quote from: caffeine
There's a good chapter in the book Outliers about this kind of stuff. He talked about the difference between rice farming and wheat farming and how asian proverbs talk a lot about hard work. Interesting stuff.

This is a good reference to Outliers, good point caffeine.  
"I am dreaming less and sleeping more, but I'll sell my soul for the dream you stole." - Armor for Sleep

Shad0w

we have oppressive parents who lock us inside and tell us to study and wont buy us a real game system so we're stuck secretly playing internet games our entire lives.
There is no 'I' in 'TEAM' but there is a 'ME'

zaphod77

Cultural note.

In the japanese (and chinese. AND korean) languages, the words for the number 4 and death are homophones.  THe japanese treat the number 4 like westerners treat the number 13, using different words to refer to it (seeing an elevator labeled 1 2 3 F (for the English word for four!) 5 6 7 is not out of the question, though some just skip it).

By winning at tetris, you are metaphorically cheating death.

People want to cheat death.

Hence the interest in, and desire to excel in, tetris.

Note that with a true memoryless randomizer, and a well width of 10, the game is guaranteed to terminate eventually, regardless of player skill.  You can't cheat death forever.

briannn