Another NES Tetris clone with source code

Started by tepples, January 27, 2010, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tepples

Someone in the NES homebrew community has discovered a homebrew Tetris clone originating from Japan. It comes with source code, commented in Japanese. Due to offending text on its title screen, I can't link it here. But despite a prettier background, its feel compares to common JavaScript-based clones.

I can't link to the topic where I originally reviewed the game, so I'll just paste my review here:

Does not boot in Nintendulator. Tested in FCEUX. Not yet in front of a PowerPak to test with.

The menus
Title screen - "TETRIS" logo should be changed. In this state I can't even link to it on harddrop.com, which bans links to sites offering downloads of video games that obviously infringe the Tetris trademark.
"Karinka" - Just as expected. Where there's an R, there isn't a slowdown in the verse.
"Technotris" - expected "Arabesque" written by Burgmüller, but it's "Angels We Have Heard on High".
"Korobushka" - more repetitive than even the GB version.
Obviously they want players to pick "Karinka"; that's the most fleshed out of all of them.

Game Stah-to-to!
Screen is monochrome, but the left third of the screen is "prettier" than LJ65. Game Boy homage?
Sideways shifting is slow, unlike another famous Japanese Tetris game.
Both B and A buttons rotate clockwise.
No soft drop. Down on the Control Pad does "firm drop", as seen in The New Tetris, Tetris The Grand Master 2, and Tetris The Grand Master 3 in "classic" mode, but there's no way to manually lock a piece down.
No wall kick; it's hard to turn pieces close to a wall.
Pause and the field remains visible.
"PRAYER 3"?

I'd submit a bug report, but I speak no Japanese.

Caithness

Very interesting. It reminds me of what Game Boy Tetris might have looked like if it was based entirely on Famicom Tetris instead of mostly on NES Tetris.  I like the fact that each tetromino has its own unique texture.

I played one game, starting at Stage 1, and the presence of lock delay and firm drop made it bearable enough for me to press on to the end despite the memoryless randomizer, lack of wall kicks or second rotation direction, and very slow autorepeat.  I lost two "Prayers" in stage 9, because the lock delay became very short (it's determined by the gravity, i guess).

At completion was treated to four jesters, two juggling and two dancing a jig, while the Final Fantasy prelude music played.