Multiplayer PC Tetris Won't be a Sport

Started by Blink, September 28, 2009, 09:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosti_LFC

Tetris won't be a sport because it's not flashy enough.

Players and TTC can delude themselves as much as they want, but people aren't going to watch Tetris. It's not flashy enough visually or strategic enough to hold people's interest. I'd really be massively impressed if they managed to market it in a way that got the interest of a western audience. People will watch TGM3 GM videos and be massively impressed, but they're not going to go looking around for other videos. And it's only the invisible part that people find truly amazing to watch, not the speed or any other aspect.

No spectators = no sponsorship = no prize money = no sport.

tepples

Quote from: itsameSMBHowever, when it comes to a competitive standard, isn't that more up to the community than the creators?
How much is left up to the community is in turn up to TTC's lawyers.

Quote from: lampiCare to elaborate? I find that to be an interesting analogy, but I'm not familiar with DTET.
In DTET, when you top out, your field is cleared, and you lose a life.

Quote from: lampiTo quote Miyamoto: a delayed game is eventually good; a rushed game is bad forever.
That's true of a game that doesn't get patches. Mr. Miyamoto has produced games on platforms that don't get patches. But then perhaps TF is TTC's way of doing patches.

lampi

Quote from: tepples
In DTET, when you top out, your field is cleared, and you lose a life.
That's a nice concept.

Quote from: tepples
That's true of a game that doesn't get patches. Mr. Miyamoto has produced games on platforms that don't get patches. But then perhaps TF is TTC's way of doing patches.
Not quite, especially with their (sometimes understandable) stance of not changing "basic" game aspects after the initial conception. There are a lot of suggestions in their forums that were rejected solely because they don't want to mess with game mechanics. It was a pain to make them see the problems with combos, and their solution was just a beta-within-the-beta "altered combo line send table" rooms. Garbage countering doesn't seem to be coming. They also said they won't change soft drop speed, even if it is admittedly slower than it should, because it's too "risky" to go around changing that when the game's already out.

It's not that they are evil, or that they don't understand those issues. They just don't want to make "radical" (their definition of 'radical' being the issue here) changes after the game is already out (the beta is/was open to anyone, after all).

I am sure they are taking note of all that, and if they're smart enough to use the same developers in future games, they will already have a better notion of what we want and make those changes from very early on during planning.
...or not =\