Tetron

Started by SpawN, July 12, 2009, 02:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpawN

(not that much though) People have been playing it and abandoning it, but there is a core of players, playing that game for years. One of them even become the newest and last(as far as I know) hellfire member. This game outlasted many other tetris games- much better known.

The game is a standard tetris clone, with falling pieces and 1 piece preview and no hold function.This maybe outmoded, but I strongly support the lack of hold piece on any tetris game and I think the preview of more than 2 pieces really makes tetris boring.Thats my opinion though.

With this thread I wanted to make the people aware of the existence of that game.

If anyone tries it, please give your opinion here. Good,bad whatever.

P.S. Blink, I had to return the favor.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

Blink

np spawn, i remember playing this game for like.... a few days around 6 years ago.  It's amazing it's still around and still has a playerbase.  I forgot why i stopped playing it, but if I remember correctly, wasn't there a cheating problem on it years ago?  not sure if that's fixed now.  BTW, i had to remove the link to it because of forum guidelines - "no linking to tetris clones which have tet or tris in them".  Speaking of spindizzy, is there any tetris games he hasn't played lol?  seems like he's everywhere.

heretic

i remember playing this game on and off for the past 10 or so months. several great blockles players (ravager, kneiss, tetr0n aka voltumna) came from tetron, and thus i had to try it out.

i really like the idea of "lives" as well as the strange garbage lines which i think make downstacking very interesting. the one thing i dislike about it is the lack of wallkicks, which are present in pretty much every other variant. it's quite tough having to get used to a different kind of finesse just to play the game.

SpawN

Blink can I tell how the people can reach the site?

Ok if you write tetron4 in google you will have the link to the site

I hope thats not illegal too.

Blink, I don't know what kind of cheating problem you are talking about. I started playing the game 6 years ago and I`m still playing it.I don't remember naything like that.Well there is cheating with the highscore replays a few years ago, but there's no cheating right now.

Moreover, the game does not have that grey garbage I find soo boring.Heretic you are right about this and thats a minus, but the game is indeed old.

The game as heretic mentioned is played normally with 2 lives(max is 7, but nobody is using it in games,as nobody is using 1 live too). 2 lives adds to the strategic element of the game and is increasing the time a game is played.

Voltumna by the way that you mentioned is the one that impressed Spindizzy and became the newest hellfire member.

The game was seriously damaged a few years ago and lost its password restriction function, so now there is no password restriction.We hope we can bring that back soon, because of some recent developments.

One more thing. 100% of the players in tetron use single rotation, since that was the default setting of the game and thats why we are all used to a single rotation play. However, many players can compensate the speed with serious skills that have been developed after having only 1 preview piece and no hold piece functions.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

Blink

Quote from: SpawN
Blink can I tell how the people can reach the site?

Ok if you write tetron4 in google you will have the link to the site

I hope thats not illegal too.

lol Spawn, that's perfectly fine!  as long as no link to it, lol.  Sorry, I made the forum guidelines and have all intention of enforcing them on everyone.  I hope you don't feel singled out.

About the single-rotate thing, I'm pretty sure that's why some of the top blockles players are Tetron players, both games use single rotate.

SpawN

Quote from: Blink
lol Spawn, that's perfectly fine!  as long as no link to it, lol.  Sorry, I made the forum guidelines and have all intention of enforcing them on everyone.  I hope you don't feel singled out.

About the single-rotate thing, I'm pretty sure that's why some of the top blockles players are Tetron players, both games use single rotate.

I have no problems against the rules, I just don't understand why are you so strict with the tet and tris thing. Is it because of the Tetris company?

This is a little off-topic but...

Albert Einstein

Blink

I have no problems against the rules, I just don't understand why are you so strict with the tet and tris thing. Is it because of the Tetris company?

This is a little off-topic but...

yep, just playing it on the safe side.  The site is new and growing, it would be a shame to have it get into any sort of trouble.  I know of atleast 1 site that was forced to be taken down for linking to a tetris clone which contained the word "tet" in it.

Blink, I don't know what kind of cheating problem you are talking about. I started playing the game 6 years ago and I`m still playing it.I don't remember naything like that.Well there is cheating with the highscore replays a few years ago, but there's no cheating right now.

Yeah, i think this was it.  I probably looked at some replays and thought "there's cheaters on here" and stopped playing lol.

SpawN

Quote from: Blink
yep, just playing it on the safe side.  The site is new and growing, it would be a shame to have it get into any sort of trouble.  I know of atleast 1 site that was forced to be taken down for linking to a tetris clone which contained the word "tet" in it.
Yeah, i think this was it.  I probably looked at some replays and thought "there's cheaters on here" and stopped playing lol.

Yeah you are right. Keep it on the safe side. I like the way you have structured your site.Its very welcoming.It will be bad for all of us to lose it.So as I understand I also cannot upload any tetron videos, since tetron is a standard tetris clone and contains tet in it?

Pfffff

Sometimes I really hate the american copyrights laws...especially considering the fact that the Tetris Company is not doing anything right now to develop Tetris.

Albert Einstein

hienwa

Yeah you can't stream clone videos on the front page but you can link your videos on here (pinned in General forums):

http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1128
http://www.freetoplay.org - for free online games and MMOs!

caffeine

especially considering the fact that the Tetris Company is not doing anything right now to develop Tetris.
This is somewhat debatable given that Rogers proclaimed competitive Tetris on the E3 interview, and not one month passed that competitive Tetris was seen on Korean TV.

Rosti_LFC

They've been proclaiming some sort of elite Tetris league for years though. A similar thing happened with them hyping up Tetris tournaments, then there was that Hawaii Tetris DS competition and not much else really following it up.
Maybe I'll eat my words here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Korean thing is the only think we see of it's kind for the next 12 months.

Blink

Yeah you are right. Keep it on the safe side. I like the way you have structured your site.Its very welcoming.It will be bad for all of us to lose it.So as I understand I also cannot upload any tetron videos, since tetron is a standard tetris clone and contains tet in it?

Yes, you can still post your Tetron videos in here like hienwa said:  http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1128

oliv

I played Tetron a couple of times. I had fun playing the game but got tired by having to restart the program every 5 games or so because of all the bugs this program had.
I am still amazed that some people have played it for years and some have gotten really good. i remember Berni, Voltumna or Blue Eyes Dragon.

I bet Tetron Players would like the TGM Series though because of the solo mode.

SpawN

Quote from: oliv
I played Tetron a couple of times. I had fun playing the game but got tired by having to restart the program every 5 games or so because of all the bugs this program had.
I am still amazed that some people have played it for years and some have gotten really good. i remember Berni, Voltumna or Blue Eyes Dragon.

I bet Tetron Players would like the TGM Series though because of the solo mode.

Yes, the game is buggy   The server crashes some times,but I would say that the gameplay is pretty good and is much better than some of the more popular tetris games out there.

Albert Einstein