Blockbox Rotation System

Started by Arcorann, January 18, 2019, 03:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcorann

Does anyone know of the exact rules behind this rotation system? Unfortunately since the game is dead no-one can check anymore (unless they convince Gamepoint to give up the source code or something), and the sources I've found (e.g. Sisu's Blockbox Manual) are too vague for a reimplementation.

Blink

Quote from: Arcorann
Does anyone know of the exact rules behind this rotation system? Unfortunately since the game is dead no-one can check anymore (unless they convince Gamepoint to give up the source code or something), and the sources I've found (e.g. Sisu's Blockbox Manual) are too vague for a reimplementation.

Didn't Blockbox just give you an option between World or Classic rotation, using the same rules defined in those rotation systems?

Okey_Dokey

Quote from: BlinkDidn't Blockbox just give you an option between World or Classic rotation, using the same rules defined in those rotation systems?
BlockBox seems to have had a third rotation system, for example see here:

Quote from: Rosti_LFCQ: What are the differences between rotation systems?
A: SRS is the rotation system used in the official western games, such as Tetris DS or TetrisFriends. It is fast for playing with low-gravity and makes it easier to play at high-gravity, but it behaves less intuitively under high gravity settings.
ARS is the rotation system used in the Japanese TGM arcade games. It is designed to provide far more of a challenge, as the lock-delay only resets when the piece moves down a row, unlike SRS where it resets with each sideways movement or rotation. The behaviour is usually more intuitive than SRS at 20G, but it is slower with low gravity.
BRS is Blockbox's custom rotation system.  It has SRS like behaviour, but with different wallkicks under 20G. It also has two double-rotate directions, depending on if the rotation buttons are pressed simultaneously or if one is held down and then the other is pressed.
I don't know any details but I remember seeing "BRS".

zaphod77

I remember BRS as well. never used it, but i believe its' designed to not allow climbing under 20G.  I think it switches to a variant of DTET rotation system under 20g.

I still believe that SRS violates the purity of tetris. It breaks the rule that blocks go down, they don't go back up.

jkwon23

RIP Blockbox.
You can still play Blockbox mode in Nullpomino, if you didn't already know.