Classic multiplayer (interest check)

Started by Blitz, September 16, 2017, 10:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blitz

I recently made a new game which has classic tetris. It has 3 different singleplayer modes which you can try out in the browser here.
I would like to add multiplayer to this game, however multiplayer is only good if there are other players online to play the game with. So before I decide whether or not it's worth putting a lot of time and effort into this I want to know how many people would be interested in playing this type of game if I were to add multiplayer.

Also if you're interested which of these two do you find compelling?
- A mode where players are sending garbage lines to eachother.
- The ability to play any of the current singleplayer modes side by side with another player and compete for the best score (CTWC style).

Okey_Dokey

Before you think about real multiplayer, I suggest you implement some kind of leaderboard. There you can practice sending data from the client to the server. I used to play some rather classic-styled 10 minutes Ultra (on Multris: harddrop available, Tetris scored 1000 points, Triple 600 points, Double 300 points, Single 100 points, each placed piece 10 points, top out -25% points). I wouldn't have played it that much, if it wasn't for the weekly leaderboards shown next to the game (also all-time leaderboards somewhere else).

It's rather hard to get used to NES Rotation System. So, I would like to see an option for Game Boy Rotation System in Settings.  Game Boy Rotation system is completely mirrored to NES Tetris (L,J,T,S,Z spawn one column more to the left; vertical I, S, Z rotate one column more to the left), so no advantage or disadvantage over NES Rotation System. I think spawning orientations also shouldn't matter for difficulty. So, I suggest to allow flat-side-down spawning orientations (with GameBoyRS & flat-side down spawning, the only decisive differenece to modern Tetris is that I,S,Z have only one vertical rotation state).

simonlc

Id play the score challege. That doesnt really exist anywhere else so it would be great to see.