what is this bug? - TOP

Started by yakine, October 26, 2016, 04:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakine

a very strange bug, please watch the video first.

now how in the actual name of the surface of planet earth is this even possible? the stranger thing is.. it seems like I'm the only one who can do this 0_0
well that is not exactly true. There is this other guy under the name "rs7" who is extremely annoying on TOP and should be banned ASAP. He somehow also can do this, but he always uses it to win, along with his other cheats, and when he get the "room host" he changes the game settings by enabling "huopin" and instant solid garbage, basically ruining the game for everyone. Anyway, I really hope someone can tell me why this happens...

btw this was the video description directly copied in here, in case you guys watch the video on this site rather than on youtube.com

Okey_Dokey

It's not a bug - it's a feature! It's called Infinite Spin. In 2001, Tetris Worlds introduced move-reset lock delay and the SRS rotation system. When a piece touches the ground, the locking of a piece is delayed by about a half second. When a player moves or rotates the piece, then the delay is reset and the locking of a piece is delayed again by about a half second. In most games, even rotating the O piece will trigger move-reset lock delay. SRS uses kicks in upwards direction, sometimes pieces are kicked even 2 rows upwards. Those 2 mechanics weren't really abusable in Tetris Worlds because the player had to reach a certain goal within 2 minutes. However, all following official Tetris games used the same mechanics and it's been abusable in certain modes. For example, you could score additional soft-drop points in Marathon or stall in Versus Battle. Garbage is not inserted before a piece locks, even hurry up garbage.

TOP doesn't seem to have a mechanic to prevent stalling forever. That's not surprising because Tetris Online Japan is a rather old game (from 2007). Tetris Friends Arena instant-drops a piece, if it is kept active for 30 seconds. Since 8 years or so, the Tetris guideline contains rules that are supposed to prevent Infinite Spin. One of the rules is triggered after 15 rotations and it locks a piece immediately the next time it touches the ground. The thing is with the 2-rows upwards kicks you can keep a piece in the air forever. You just have to build a small 2-wide (3 rows is high enough, works with every piece shape).

Blitz

This might be my fault. TOP doesn't seem to allow infinite spin on a non modded client, but my modded client does allow it.

A quick comparison of the config files reveals the following difference.
Default:
[UPGRADE_MOVELIMIT_LV5]
ExtendedPlacementCount = 15

Modded:
[UPGRADE_MOVELIMIT_LV5]
ExtendedPlacementCount = -1

I must have overlooked that when I released the mod.

Okey_Dokey

Quote from: BlitzTOP doesn't seem to allow infinite spin on a non modded client, but my modded client does allow it.
True that. I tested against a bot in a private room. In Blitz mod, I could stall forever by repeatedly pressing one rotation button (even works for an O piece). In unmodded TOP, I could stall forever with the technique I described above. I think it's weird that the client handles the player's playfield and top out condition, and not the server.

yakine

oh thanks for clearing it up for me guys. it is very annoying that some people, especially rs7, use this to piss other people off :/ knocking down room after room with this... such a sad life tbh. but rather than blaming you Blitz for this simple mistake, we should rather be thankful for you even creating this amazing mod in the first place ^_^