What's the biggest tournament of tetris

Started by iljain, October 28, 2016, 02:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iljain

what's the biggest tournament of tetris and how many players atteneded it?

(i mean besides tto) idk if there are bigger tournaments around the world, like somewhere in Japan or Korea

PuyoPuyoTetris is big how many? TGM? Any other Big tournaments ? how many people joined it?

classic tetris had only like 56 players

Okey_Dokey

lol Sisu I doubt that's what iljain meant.

Quote from: iljainwhat's the biggest tournament of tetris and how many players atteneded it?
I can't really answer your question but for Tetris-only local events the Classic Tetris World Championship is by far the biggest. It's the one with the most prestige, with the most prize money (2000$ in total), with the biggest crowd and with the most people consistently watching the stream.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]classic tetris had only like 56 players[/quote]
56 (or 57) doesn't sound as much but you must consider that this tournament goes over 2 days and that those players paid a 15$ entry fee additional to the cost of a ticket for the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

Quote from: iljain(i mean besides tto) idk if there are bigger tournaments around the world, like somewhere in Japan or Korea

PuyoPuyoTetris is big how many? TGM? Any other Big tournaments ? how many people joined it?
The Burger King League is the only Hangame event I know of. As far as I know it's been a multi-game event and been organized only 1 time (at least for Tetris).

Red Bull 5G is the only Puyo Puyo Tetris event I know of.  It's a multi-game event and not sure how many Japanese participated in the Northern and Southern qualifiers.

The Masters are the only TGM events I know of. It's hosted monthly(?) at the same Arcade over and over again. The 100th Masters should be the one with the most participants - 40 participants if I've counted correctly. Note that The Masters give a penalty to better players. If your best time is 1 minute faster than that of another guy, then you'll start 1 minute after him. Without that system, far less players would have a chance to win and far less players would participate. Also note, that TGM has been a financial failure with just 1000 boards produced (and even less for TGM 2 and 3), so a TGM tournament can't be nearly as big as a NES tournament for example.

For online tournaments Tetris Tournament Online 1 has been the biggest with 256 entrants (registration was capped at 256, of course not every entrant played).

iljain

thank you, that's about the tournaments i've heard of.