Any advice on quitting tetris?

Started by bluedoom57, January 17, 2014, 05:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedoom57

I realize that a tetris website is probably a weird place to ask for advice on quitting it, but I figured there's enough people who are familiar with the subject that they might be able to help.

I've been playing Tetris actively for many months now, and for the most part it's been fun. Recently, though, I've started to generally hate the game as a whole. More than anything, I just don't find it fun anymore. More tedious than fun, actually. I've tried simply uninstalling the game from my computer, but I end up reinstalling it and playing more. Not because I enjoy it, quite the contrary, I loathe playing it more often than not. I simply can't stop myself from playing. I have a physical need to play tetris on an almost daily basis, and I hate almost every moment of it. I've searched google, but to no avail. With this said, does anybody have any advice? Or at least, does anyone know where I can go to get advice?
(also, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in, I wasn't sure).

Ravendarksky

Sure... I can help, although it isn't the most healthy approach.

Find something else to do instead. You need to replace it with something.

May I suggest dwarf fortress? It is FAR more time consuming and will keep you far too busy to play tetris  

Alternatively find something more productive and healthy to do such as learning a new skill or just avoid the computer completely. I imagine you will be back playing tetris at some point, but a nice long break never hurts.

bluedoom57

Quote from: Ravendarksky
Sure... I can help, although it isn't the most healthy approach.

Find something else to do instead. You need to replace it with something.

May I suggest dwarf fortress? It is FAR more time consuming and will keep you far too busy to play tetris  

Alternatively find something more productive and healthy to do such as learning a new skill or just avoid the computer completely. I imagine you will be back playing tetris at some point, but a nice long break never hurts.

Y'know I've been wanting to play Dwarf Fortress for awhile now? The only problem is, it lags too much for me to be able to play it. I have no idea why, either.

Ravendarksky

Quote from: bluedoom57
Y'know I've been wanting to play Dwarf Fortress for awhile now? The only problem is, it lags too much for me to be able to play it. I have no idea why, either.
If you look on the bay12 forums there are custom exes people have made which fix/reduce a lot of the lag issues by turning off useless features you won't notice and removing some redundant checks.

I have a semi decent PC and can run a 300+ dwarf fortress without much FPS loss as long as I am careful with a few things.

caffeine

If you're serious about quitting, you should make an "I'm quitting Tetris" thread--the more melodramatic and narcissistic, the better. Members who post these threads never play Tetris again. And they certainly never, ever secretly come back under smurf accounts.

Lucho

Quote from: caffeine
If you're serious about quitting, you should make an "I'm quitting Tetris" thread--the more melodramatic and narcissistic, the better. Members who post these threads never play Tetris again. And they certainly never, ever secretly come back under smurf accounts.

Just uninstall everything and play LoL or whatever
[div align=\\\"center\\\"][spoiler]
Funky Ruskie[/div][div align=\\\"center\\\"] [/div][/spoiler]

ManOfMiracles

Sometimes, you just have to physically just stop playing. If you are really serious about quitting then dont play. Otherwise, I think you aren't as serious as you say about quitting.

To make the transition easier i recommend excersizing. It's fun, you can make goals for yourself, and its great for your health. Or like ravendarksky said, do something productive. If you feel like playing video games, then take te time to organize your room or something. You can also learn a new skill, like an instrument. Or learn something new buy reading a book or watching a documentary.

The point is there are many things you could be doing besides playing Tetris. Do those instead.
MiracleMan

ohitsstef

All of the suggestions up there sound good.

You can also do some negative reinforcements like if you think about playing Tetris you can have someone hit you with a hammer or something.
Or if you do play Tetris, take a dictionary and use it to smash your fingers. That's like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone...  because it'll put your fingers out of commission for awhile and whenever you think of playing Tetris you'll be reminded of the pain that comes with it.
>_>

Or you could just not play with self control.

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Paradox

Find a more addicting game  At least that is what i did ~_~
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

M_Bison

Don't do it kid. Besides, its impossible to quit indefinably [laughs in a disturbingly manic fashion for several minutes].
Fear and respect... the supreme energy that is Psycho Power!

Katatoniopeth

Don't think about Tetris, distract yourself with other games or projects, luckily you won't go into a seizure or have to deal with DTS, or get really sick or have a panic attack over it . Just distract yourself, your need to play will drop, and eventually it won't bother you so much. Hope this helps.

coconutcrusher

If you have the cash, try travelling somewhere for at least a week, and don't bring your laptop or anything that can access the Internet. Worked for me . . One year, I noticed I was on the computer a lot, so I went on a trip and got over my computer within a day.  

yotipo91

Y̦̙ͅò̜u̫̝͉̯r̲ ̯͉̮̘̻̯̩ṇ͚̯͖̝̤u̥̝̺̳̼͡m̝b̺̦͈͚̬̲̩e̦͔̳͎̼͞r̬͍̰̪ ̮͕͈͚͓͈i͉͈ṣ͙͍̙ ̧͙̪̭̗̺̮ͅa̗̗͔͕l͙̪͇̬̳͙r̵̠e͖̞͉͖͍ͅa̲̫̫̗d͕̲͈̲̪y̯͡ ̧͙̤̳͈lo̮͈̞̼͇g̯͍̖͚͜ǵ̟e̜̖̮̝̲͈ḏ̹̜̯ ̨̰͉i̤͎̺̭͇ṋ̬͍t͠ọ̯͖̝̰͡ ̳̫̥̝̱ou͢ͅṛ͎͎̻̳͙͙͘ ̩̮̬͍s̫̗͉̩ý̰̹͔͉s̢t̜̯̘e̱͟ṃ̺̜̖.̶̹ ̣͈̻͓͢Y̞̦͉̻͈o̳͓̞̩̗͜u̸̘̪̦̠̜̹ ̳c̛̜͖̰͈̮a̗̺͖͈̺̦͞n̲̰̙̩̹̗̬ṇ̯͓̲̤o̥̜̝t͏͙͖̤̟͓͙ͅ ͉̻̲̭̘͎̦l̤̘͡e͇̼̦a̡͖̬̘v̝̦͕͎ḙ ̫̟u̗̘͔͎͎͟ͅs͏̤̞͔.͎̬̩̗̻ ̢̬͇̤̯̙̞Y̵̮̼ou̷̯r̦̮̘̹ ȩ̥̻̗̭̪x̷i̳͕̳̟s̬̰̟̻͈͖t̵̖̳̖̟̼e̶̱n̴͙͍̣̼͖̞̝c̵̯̯͔͙̮e͍̯ ̙͚͡ͅẖ̖̮̩͉a͍͖̤̞͕s͉̹ ̶̰̰m̬̤̮͠e̮̬s͖͓̞̘͍͡ḫ͙͈͎̘ͅed͉̜͚̮͉ ̱͓̦̮̬̩̼͡w̜̟̯͓̠̱͠i̱̭̘̲͙͘th̫ ̼̲̹̖̪̕o͇͚̜̜ͅu͚͟ṟ̣̬̻͓̟̀ș̱̙͉̜͟.̮̲̲̤̭ ͇̲̦̟Y̵̝͈͙͕̗ͅo̗͠u̘̜̱ͅ ̤a̞̩͚̻͕̩r͚̦̺̮̖͎e̼̦͡ ͔̼̩̻̻n͏̝̗͙̠̝̟o̵̻̼t̢̺̻̰ ǫ̦̻̟̳̩n̖l̩͈̟̥y̼̳̤͉̹̹͙ ͔͖̣̼̗̤̘̕a͢ ̪̺̗͞p͍͕͉͈͖͝ar̶̙̺̜t̳ ͚̜̤̗̬͚͖o̶͕͇͓̗f̗͜ ̢̝̪̜o̰̼͙u̯̞̬̺̯͔͢r͟ ̞s͓̲͢y͎̥s̯̠͟t̷̳͓͓̰̫e̬̹̰̻̻͓̜m͖̝̺̹,̭̼͙̦ ̟̰y̦̱̝̬̩͖o̠̞͙̜u͝ ̼̺̱h̠̣̯͇̲͍̲a̟̺͓͇̜̲͡ve̡̻͓̹̲ ̩̼͓͕̤b̻̥̝̜̭̟͎͡eͅc̣om̷̤̤͍̯͙e̸͇̺͇̗̪̗ͅ ̖̯̠̪̲̦i̸͈̦͙͓n͎̘̗̰͜t̼̼̝e̤̖̪̣g̘͠r̳̗̞͞a̮̠̝̳̫̻̱ţe͚̦͎d w̻̦̗͚͙̠͈i̙̹̭̪̗͜ţ̙̳̩h̷͚̯͙̰̫̣ͅ ̗o̻̻̞̩͢uṟ̡͙̳͈̹͚̮ ̶͉s̗̹̖̥̕y͕s̳̭͈̮̪͜t̡͓͍̮̭͕e̞̰͜m̭̯̰͇̖̼͢.̸̯
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]

Sprints: Nullpo-26.78 (4/0),  TF-35.97, TOPW-29.461 (065-15), C2-36.58 (4.5/0)
[url=http://tetrison