Common misconceptions about becoming faster

Started by Barneey, December 22, 2012, 10:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barneey

Quick little rant about something that has been on my mind lately.
I've done little to no research, just speaking from experience, take it with a grain of salt.

A lot of players striving to be faster player will ask around, or do research on techniques that will help them. What they usually find is something like this:

- Learn how to utilize both counter clockwise, and clockwise rotations
- Get used to not holding
- Study finesse
- Stack neatly

Here's where many people will start thinking that learning this is essential to becoming quick.
However, you could say that none of these would even make you "faster", depending on your definition of the word.
I define getting faster as how quick you can process and find a place to drop piece after piece. The most common way to measure this is how fast you can finish a game of 40 Lines. But there are too many variables involved in a game of 40 Lines to get a perfectly accurate result of how fast you can process the pieces. Variables like how some placements are mathematically more efficient than others, and how there are multiple ways to do certain things, some more efficient than others.
Also, assuming you don't pay attention to minimizing key inputs, the difference between your current time and your ideal time is still not likely to be that significant, unless you're already a very fast player.

Basically, the optimal way to play 40 Lines is to minimize the amount of key presses needed per piece (KPT), thereby making the variables matter as little as possible.

Although there is no guarantee that you are able to improve how fast you process the pieces, the only way you would do that is to practice. Techniques like finesse are not to get faster, they are simply to help you measure you fast you already are.

Paradox

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--] Techniques like finesse are not to get faster, they are simply to help you measure you fast you already are.[/quote]
lolwut.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]- Learn how to utilize both counter clockwise, and clockwise rotations
- Get used to not using hold
- Study the intricate ways of finesse
- Stack in a clean and tidy fashion[/quote]

Stacking clean is really the only one I would say doesn't matter. Minimizing keypresses allows you to play optimally.

Playing without good finesse is like flailing your arms around wildly while running a timed mile.
You can probably still run it pretty fast, but it isn't optimal.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Barneey

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]lolwut.[/quote]
What I'm saying is that finesse will theoretically, undeniably improve your time in a 40 Lines game, but it will not improve your brain's ability to process pieces faster.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Stacking clean is really the only one I would say doesn't matter.[/quote]
Personally I find that if my stack is nice and even, less thought is required to find placements for my pieces.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Minimizing keypresses allows you to play optimally.[/quote]
I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me. My point in a nutshell.

FelipeMayrink

Interesting post, I don't think I've ever tried the "get used to no hold" thing. I may give it a go...
Btw, what about the misconception of "lower DAS = faster time"? I know I felt for that one for a bit
Of course, if you can play with a 6 das you'll be better then with a 14, but you can't "push it", you gotta gradually work your way downwards.

Quote from: Paradox
Playing without good finesse is like flailing your arms around wildly while running a timed mile.
You can probably still run it pretty fast, but it isn't optimal.

As an analogy lover, I have to say: that was brilliant.

Barneey

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Btw, what about the misconception of "lower DAS = faster time"? I know I felt for that one for a bit
[/quote]

Ohh yes, forgot to mention DAS.
I think that DAS will only better your time if you're currently using one that's restraining you.
There is no point in playing with a DAS that moves pieces faster than you can place them, and at the same time, it would not be beneficial to play with a DAS that moves the pieces slower than you can place them.

In my opinion it would be natural to increase your DAS gradually to match your own increase in speed.

MarioThePhenom

the biggest common misconception about getting faster is it makes you a better player. lol
and if im to disagree with one point, its that stacking flat does make you able to drop one piece after another faster. therefore actually making you faster. the spawn orientation of all blocks are with the flat side on the bottom, thus having relatively flat stack will mean you dont have to rotate cause the blocks are already flat, and you minimize kpt

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

tk198

Stacking flatter also gives you more options when it comes to piece placement. For example, you wont use up as many I pieces fixing up columns that are 3+ tall and instead can use them to clear tetrises.

riisssaaa

I agree with you!
The only way to be faster is pressing less keys ^^

And sometimes that means using hold to avoid rotating a piece .

Edit: Except I'm slow TT^TT

myndzi

Quote from: MarioThePhenom
the biggest common misconception about getting faster is it makes you a better player.

Flip this on its head and you've mostly got it. The best way to get fast is to become a better player. "Better" in this case includes everything from technical ability (tap rate, DAS, finesse, etc.) to stacking technique. Anything will hold you back, but many people are looking for a 'quick fix', that is, it's more appealing to believe changing a setting will instantly make you faster than it is to believe that working on your game perception is what you've got to do.

In the end, it's the weakest link in the chain that'll hold you back, but what Barneey is saying is that many people overestimate their game sense in the equation, deferring their practice to skills that don't matter as much.

Profane

i think the biggest misconception is that what works for one person will work for the next.... middle stacking, 6-3 stacking, even hand distribution, lower das, Zero or One Delay, etc etc.  obviously its hard to debate certain things being 'optimal'  like the use of double rotate but there is at least one person who is considered to be very fast who has an unconventional approach to becoming faster, like the way Arf sets up his key distribution isn't what you see people suggest to become faster but he's improved his speed to an admirable level.  it's only speculation that he would be able to become faster if he started training with his keys set up more like Blinks.

really the key to becoming faster is experience, trail, and error.  you simply cannot substitute practice for anything.  

yotipo91

I'm 30.66. What should I focus on to go sub30? Is there a good practice mode to help me put my pieces down more "correctly"? I haven't learned much lately; I'm mostly just applying what I already know.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]

Sprints: Nullpo-26.78 (4/0),  TF-35.97, TOPW-29.461 (065-15), C2-36.58 (4.5/0)
[url=http://tetrison

FieryLight

Well, what do you already do?  Can you post a video of your record and maybe also a 100 line sprint game?  (Preferably one that shows all the "advanced" stuff on nullpomino league.)

EDIT:  Nevermind, found some vids on your youtube channel.  Anyway, it looks like you need to get your finesse down because in all 4 of the games I watched you play you fumbled a little.  Other than that it seems the only thing you could really do is practice and try to use your previews more so that you don't have to pause as much.  Perhaps playing more multiplayer would help...?