BGM of mirrorsoft tetris (1988, commodore 64) - that piece of 25 minutes

Started by farter, January 19, 2012, 08:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farter

ouch the description was cut..
"except this awesome music"

is there copyright issue?
composed by Wally Beben, released in 1988, i recorded and uploaded this mp3...
MP3 128K mono(originally it is) download - 24MB
or if you want the original sid & sid player....
.sid player
tetris.sid

HERE are some remix of it.

About this music:
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--](from here)
But if you want my opinion of nicest Tetris version ever written, it has to be the Commodore 64 version.

I had problems finding game info for this, but it was made in 1988 (or 1987, the sources conflict here...) and released by Mirrorsoft (when I saw this first time, you know what company I thought of, but I quickly learned that they were different companies).

Why this version rules? I don't care of game mechanics this time - indeed, GB version easily beats this version gameplay-wise, due to the fact that there's just "instant drops" and blocks can be rotated in one direction only - but the aural and visual candies are exceptional and make the whole game experience entirely hypnotic.

It starts from the title screen: In this version, "TETRIS" isn't misspelled "TETЯIS" (which is incorrect in Russian anyway, the letter is pronounced "ya", nothing to do with R). The game doesn't even try to look "Russian". No sign of landmarks from Moscow. Nothing.

Instead, everything except the blocks are in grayscale. The title screen has two figures on starry background, one getting struck by some sort of force (lightning?), another with magic-sort of stuff in hands. The game screen itself has similar minimalism, with gray-scale surroundings and star background.

The game music, by Wally Beben, can be fit into a 13 kilobyte .sid file. Yet, it's approximately 30 minutes long before it loops! The music has some dark, primitive, I dare to say magical feelings - under a modernish electric guitar background. All in all, very powerful music for a very powerful and intuitive game. I can easily rank this game music among the greatest C64 sidtunes ever made. It is one of the game tunes of which a remix would be an extremely sacrilegious idea, unless done perfectly with proper instruments.[/quote]

farter

Quote from: tozarian
do you have the .sid file?
ah there is
edited above

joni007

What a lovly game. from a long time i am watching this type of game..
procedure

caffeine

Excellent find, farter. Tetris and chiptune were meant for each other.

I believe this is the badass title screen he was referring to (he might've confused the reverse R Tetris from the box):

You got to hand it to Mirrosoft for this one. It's a pretty tight looking game. It makes me wonder what Tetris might be today had it ended up in their hands instead of Henk Rogers.