Sub 40 Help?

Started by SecretSalander, September 04, 2012, 04:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SecretSalander

Hi. On nullpomino i was stuck on 47 for months on one rotation, so I decided to learn two rotations. After suffering greatly, I managed to cut my time down to around 47 seconds with my best times at 44 and 45. Can you guys help me and give me tips on how to improve? Here is the replay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMo7FUxjQ-k...eature=youtu.be
40 line sprint in Nullpomino: 32.88

Barneey

I can't see anything big you need to improve on, you didn't hold and you utilized both rotations, well done.
You could always learn finesse although it won't help you out a great deal, it still helps.
I like the freestyle stacking : D

Keep practicing and you'll get faster and faster.

MarioThePhenom

you should try stacking more flat, if you look at any of my sprint records, youll see how my stack is flatt, but with some bumps. hard to explain really

at .26 seconds of your video, try avoiding placements that case holes that big, instead you could have put that I piece on the left and could have fit another block more appropriately to the location

at 29-30 seconds you had a stack that looked like this:
[fumen]110@vcA3obB3nbD3lbF3jbF3jbG3ibH3hbI3gbI3gbI3gb?I3gbI3gbI3qbA4G[/fumen]
you placed the L block like this:
[fumen]110@vcA3obB3nbD3lbF3jbF3jbG3ibH3hbI3gbI3gbI3gb?I3gbI3gbI3qbK9H[/fumen] which caused for some more uneven stacking, where had you done this:
[fumen]110@vcA3obB3nbD3lbF3jbF3jbG3ibH3hbI3gbI3gbI3gb?I3gbI3gbI3qb6HI7eGWUBNOBZKBnDBE9AbyAAAA[/fumen] your stack would have been more even and easier to stack on

im sure more pple will help you more thoroughly then i have

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

Profane

at this stage i think the best advice i can give you is to relax.  clearing 1 line a second sounds like you are moving hyper quick but if you relax and try to play a smooth game you'll notice that subbing 40 seconds doesn't seem that daunting. you are in the herky jerky phase where you try to think quicker and it affects how you're dropping your pieces.  its very obvious from watching your replay that you can easily move the pieces quick enough to sub 40 seconds you just need to slow down your mind a little so that your hands can catch up.

i suggest you play a few games where you don't worry about the time at all, focus on trying to move smoothly and try to play at about the same speed from start to finish.  after you successfully play a few games with smooth starts to ends you'll notice that the times are very close to your personal record.  i believe it helps you realize relaxing is a key part in learning how to play faster

belzebub

please attach the sprint report for more specific sprint help

virulent

i agree w/ mario..it looks like you just need to stack flatter n practice more
i honestly believe most ppl can sub40 simply by putting a LOT of hours into it [paradox convinced me of this somehow] there are a couple of hesitations which can be fixed w/ just a great run.
it seems you already have down rotations n no hold
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

iphys

I haven't gone that fast myself, but it seems to me like you're hesitating sometimes.  Assuming you're watching your previews you should already know exactly what you're going to do with your piece before you get it.  In a sprint, you shouldn't be stopping to reconsider, and it's better to just commit to your first thought even if there might be a better place you could put something.  Even if you have zero idea what you should do with a piece, I think it's better to just force yourself to drop the piece somewhere and fix mistakes later if you have to.

SecretSalander

Wow, i didnt get a chance to reply until now!  just wanted to say, thank you SO MUCH for the advice! it helped like crazy. After not playing tetris for a week (i only play on weekends during shcool) i opened up nullpo and started trying to stack flatter and i relaxed, and i got a time of 49, which was unheard of when I used to misdrop every five seconds (my 44 second run was pure luck )
40 line sprint in Nullpomino: 32.88

XaeL

Quote from: virulent
i agree w/ mario..it looks like you just need to stack flatter n practice more
i honestly believe most ppl can sub20 simply by putting a LOT of hours into it [paradox convinced me of this somehow] there are a couple of hesitations which can be fixed w/ just a great run.
it seems you already have down rotations n no hold

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Paradox

how to get sub 25:

1. Practice
2. Finesse
3. Lower DAS
4. Practice

Don't listen when people say stack flat, trust me on this one that advice means nothing.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: Paradox
how to get sub 25:

1. Practice
2. Finesse
3. Lower DAS
4. Practice

Don't listen when people say stack flat, trust me on this one that advice means nothing.
look at paradox stacking flat and getting his sub 25 record

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....