Tetris 40 Line Sprint Record: 55.25 seconds

Started by MatMayuga, February 19, 2016, 03:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatMayuga

Got to sub-60, and I just got my record blazing through.
This is my current record so far.

Goldenshadow

Nice job! Sub 60 is a great milestone. I can tell from your video that you figure out where you want to place the pieces quickly, especially once you get in the groove. I'm sure you will be breaking your personal bests a lot as you lower your DAS and gravity . Congrats!

Quantumechanic

Congratulations! I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one on hard drop that recently got sub 60.  

Outthere

Quote from: Goldenshadow
Nice job! Sub 60 is a great milestone. I can tell from your video that you figure out where you want to place the pieces quickly, especially once you get in the groove. I'm sure you will be breaking your personal bests a lot as you lower your DAS and gravity . Congrats!

What do you mean by lowering DAS and gravity? I'm probably in the same boat as him except I haven't improved in awhile and I'm looking for tips to break into the sub-50 category.

Goldenshadow

DAS means " delayed auto shift." A lower das means that there is a shorter period of time from the moment when you press a key to when the piece starts to move. Gravity is how long it takes a piece to move from one place to another when an arrow key is held down. There are probably better definitions out there but that is the gist of it. The great thing about nullpo is that it allows you to finely adjust your DAS and gravity settings.

I can tell from the video that he posted that he knows where he wants to put the pieces relatively quickly. However he spends a lot of extra time getting the piece where he wants it to go after he has decided where he wants to place it. Lowering the DAS and gravity can eliminate a lot of that wasted time. I haven't played 40 lines for years now but when I did I played at 5 DAS and on 0 gravity.

If you want to see big improvements in your 40 lines time my suggestion would be to incrementally lower your DAS and gravity over time. Further steps you can take after that are to learn a skill  called "finesse" along with mastering the ability to rotate pieces more than just clockwise. There are pages in the Tetris Wikipedia that explain how to learn them. Those skills, just like lowering DAS and gravity, also help with minimizing the time it takes to place a piece where you want it to go.

With his current speed of knowing where he wants to put the pieces, Just learning  those skills will probably get him in the 35-40 second range.

ultranooby

Quote from: Goldenshadow
With his current speed of knowing where he wants to put the pieces, Just learning  those skills will probably get him in the 35-40 second range.
I usually look at hesitation in non-finesse games (mostly myself ) by finesse error - and 34 is actually what I got on average playing in the 40 second range. Method works for me because it's lowered to 25 errors or so at 30 seconds.

Keep up the good work and you'll get there in no time!